Val D'or

Puggz

1 minute ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

$65.00 fine for a trespass offence. Now that will make them stay on the trails   Not!    In my opinion trespass fines should be no less than $500.00 and up from there depending on cicumstances. Any less is not a deterrent.

Agree 100%.....ON is way to soft on the some rules broken regarding sledding.

Now I like that the speeding fine is soft of course.......:icon_steer:....:coffeenose:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

$65.00 fine for a trespass offence. Now that will make them stay on the trails   Not!    In my opinion trespass fines should be no less than $500.00 and up from there depending on cicumstances. Any less is not a deterrent.

No kidding. That has been mentioned for years that the penalty needs to be increased but it never happens.

Your odds of getting caught are slim as well. 3 Trespassing fines to equal a season pass. They make it worth the gamble.

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Stopped by who? Told to go home by who? So far nobody has the authority to stop you from traveling. It is a recommendation. 400 north and south bound between Toronto Barrie and beyond has personal vehicle traffic.

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I call it BS...

So saw my buddy again today    asked him for more info     was a buddy of a buddy who said this    oh well  like I said earlier one guy one story:banghead:

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Stopped by who? Told to go home by who? So far nobody has the authority to stop you from traveling. It is a recommendation. 400 north and south bound between Toronto Barrie and beyond has personal vehicle traffic.

X2

7 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Counted 8-9 trucks and snowmobile trailers headed northbound in a 6km stretch of the 400 at Parry Sound 20 min ago. 

Two rigs w/ trailers parked where I was staging today. 

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Noticed a fair number of trucks/trailers/sleds on the move this morning when out grabbing my coffee!

Good to see people getting out enjoying what they can.

Two rigs w/ trailers went by when I was unloading or loading.

Met 2 couples during my ride. Talked to them & socially distanced quite easily. They were doing a loop from the 1 brother's house.

19 hours ago, stoney said:

Blackstar asked one of the OPP guys on another forum that offers great feedback on many questions the same question and this was his response to being stopped by OPP:

"Great question...  we encourage all people to abide by their local health unit and provincial guidelines. While there is a strong encouragement to avoid non essential travel there is no legislation outright banning travel. I've not heard of any checkpoints turning people around nor is there legislation to support that. I know the OFSC has talked about trail closures based on covid numbers but they've yet to implement that.  I can say we will be more strict about laying charges for riding on closed trails this year.  Regardless of the reason for closure the rider will receive  a trespass ticket..  $65.  This was happening with or without covid.  Expect little or no tolerance for trail cans and aftermarket exhaust as well.  Landowners have spoken loud and clear.  Excess noise = no trails.  Regardless of personal thoughts towards the cans...I'd rather have trails to ride on!!  Hopefully this is a safe, fun and long season!  Sadly we already a fatality in Eastern Ontario."

And then he went on to say:

"We have not told anyone to turn around nor have we been directed to do so.  The main covid issues we seem to deal with are "large gatherings"   Many of you will remember several years ago when people were saying charges were being laid for trailer hitches sticking out without trailers attached. Simply not true.  There's always a group that likes to create that divide and spreads misinformation. This is no different. "

Our District held a Zoom call with the SAVE Team in Eastern Ontario last week. That is exactly the message we got. They will work with local detachments to increase presence on trail as much as they can. If clubs have particular problem areas they should report in to SAVE and they will try to put extra coverage in place. 

my overall impression was they want to do a good job for the clubs without being too draconian in nature. They understand there will be confusion around trail closures between PHU so there will be fair amount of education going on in that regard. As to the basics (permits/Val tags/insurance/impaired/cans etc) it looked like zero tolerance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, did you end up going?

Cheers,