Communicators - Yay/Nay Brands??

Chickey6.archived

Wondering if people prefer communicators or not and if they do what brands do they prefer?

The family (4) got a middle of the road set for Christmas.  Set up and install was easy but they are a real PITA to pair and don't want to stay paired after you shut them off.

Also, I would have thought they had a better range??  Riding in a pack of seven and unless riding tight, riders two and six would go in and out of range.

TIA for comments and suggestions.

M.

Lots of threads on communicators here if you do a search. At the main forum just put communicator in the search box near top right.

• Like 1

Running the scala units (not sure of the exact model).  They're getting older but work pretty good.  Never had an issue once they are paired.  Batteries will die after about 6 - 8 hours on the trail on a cold day.

• Like 1

buy what you're friend have.  Failing that, I sold the Sena 20S I had because it was crap, youtubers say the new 50 is no better.

went with Cardo PAKTALK BOLDS

Cardo PAKTALK BOLDS the way to go, using it for two seasons and love it.

Will definitely have to do some research!

I didn't think I would like having them but was kind of fun being able to have a conversation, warning, etc. along the ride.

Just not fussy on the ones we have.

Like many things...

One ride & time to upgrade :-D

Friends of mine purchased this set.  Said they were great.  For the price I thought I would give it a try.  So I purchased a set today as well.  Will report back next week on how they worked

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TV44NKW/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_h9g9FbSW8YQNA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candubrain said:

buy what you're friend have.  Failing that, I sold the Sena 20S I had because it was crap, youtubers say the new 50 is no better.

went with Cardo PAKTALK BOLDS

wow, that is funny, we have had the sena 20S for several years. for a couple, they work awesome. pairing them to more than 2 people kinda is a pain and sux. i like them for the music ability. we have used them on sleds, street bikes, dirt bikes. i like to listen to music, when racing bikes, keeps my mind off my breathing, and muscle fatigue. the sena 30 were the "problem child", supposedly the 50 was to fix all the 30 issues. like i said, we prefer the 20S. Ski

Mine flew off my bucket years ago and went to the bottom of the lake, never replaced it, that's how much I liked it

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

wow, that is funny, we have had the sena 20S for several years. for a couple, they work awesome. pairing them to more than 2 people kinda is a pain and sux. i like them for the music ability. we have used them on sleds, street bikes, dirt bikes. i like to listen to music, when racing bikes, keeps my mind off my breathing, and muscle fatigue. the sena 30 were the "problem child", supposedly the 50 was to fix all the 30 issues. like i said, we prefer the 20S. Ski

Yes, no issues or complaints where its only 2, but for groups....no way.   If the unit that is common to all the rest drops out or goes out of range, then you lose contact with the rest of the group.   They also had problems with the mics when they got wet......breath box, mouth breather......heavy condensation.

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Anyone on here have experience with the newer uclears?  How is the battery life in them?  Can you get a full 10 - 12 hours out of them in -20 weather?

I use the older uClear Amp Pro for my motorcycling and would have used it on the sled, but I was concerned the brow mics wouldn't work well with a breath box.   I have no experience with the new Motion series, but I can tell you my units have been trouble free, and the audio quality was the best in its day

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

Yes, no issues or complaints where its only 2, but for groups....no way.   If the unit that is common to all the rest drops out or goes out of range, then you lose contact with the rest of the group.   They also had problems with the mics when they got wet......breath box, mouth breather......heavy condensation.

we use the foam covers for the boom mic's, and either a breath box, or the klim arctic/glacier balaclava's, or both. never an issue with mic's getting wet. now, if they take an impact, or get really dusty on the dirt bike, they will fail. i have had to buy several boom kits which are about 70-80 usd each. but, better than replacing the whole unit at over 200 usd ea. Ski

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chickey6 said:

Wondering if people prefer communicators or not and if they do what brands do they prefer?

The family (4) got a middle of the road set for Christmas.  Set up and install was easy but they are a real PITA to pair and don't want to stay paired after you shut them off.

Also, I would have thought they had a better range??  Riding in a pack of seven and unless riding tight, riders two and six would go in and out of range.

TIA for comments and suggestions.

M.

Family of 4?

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

I love, love, love my Collette Communicator. Too bad they shut down operation last year. I hoped someone would buy the company and keep the product going. Full day Lithium battery life, bluetooth to my phone, stereo sound, receive phone calls. No mic freeze. Also groomer beacon warning (not many groomers are using the feature though due to fleet upgrades recently)

Jerry