B110

Pota

I put 150kms on there yesterday and the trails ranged from "good" to total crap.    I parked at The Spot restaurant and the lot was full at 11am.    I did notice the trails were getting really beat by mid afternoon.    There are some water holes for sure.    I will admit, that I accidentally got on that red trail between Tobermory Lake and the rail line.   There is a mud hole on it that I wouldnt ride my KTM dirt bike through.   You can sneak around it by running about .5 of a km of road around it though.    The 202 is total crap.   I was glad to get out for a little ride and to know that our sleds work properly, but there is no way that I would go back there until they got at least a foot more snow.   

I have a feeling that those trails could go back to red soon unless they get a good dump of snow.   The amount of open trails is just too small to handle the traffic that they are getting.  

Edited by scottyr
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

I put 150kms on there yesterday and the trails ranged from "good" to total crap.    I parked at The Spot restaurant and the lot was full at 11am.    I did notice the trails were getting really beat by mid afternoon.    There are some water holes for sure.    I will admit, that I accidentally got on that red trail between Tobermory Lake and the rail line.   There is a mud hole on it that I wouldnt ride my KTM dirt bike through.   You can sneak around it by running about .5 of a km of road around it though.    The 202 is total crap.   I was glad to get out for a little ride and to know that our sleds work properly, but there is no way that I would go back there until they got at least a foot more snow.   

I have a feeling that those trails could go back to red soon unless they get a good dump of snow.   The amount of open trails is just too small to handle the traffic that they are getting.  

That stretch of trail was moved to the road several years ago because the water got too deep from trucks and atv's. They only put it back in the trail system for the last few years. Until they get major cold and snow its a mess.

There are a couple of creeks to cross in that stretch too.  If it's red I don't go....lol

Did I pass you? I seen several new Polaris' yesterday.

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I looped around Durham today. East side has more snow than the west. Don't take the trail that runs through Varney on the east side. Its all mud and ruts.

I was surprised how well the road sections are holding up. I'm done until they get more snow.

I don't understand why the OFSC wants to worry about the travel between PHU's. They have made a statement saying to abide by the recommendations of the Province. If the province wants to enforce the "recommendation" let them do it themselves. The OFSC's main focus should be providing trails to its permit buyers. just my opinion.

The OFSC should be complying with the direction of the province and the Chief Medical Officer.

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That stretch of trail was moved to the road several years ago because the water got too deep from trucks and atv's. They only put it back in the trail system for the last few years. Until they get major cold and snow its a mess.

There are a couple of creeks to cross in that stretch too.  If it's red I don't go....lol

Did I pass you? I seen several new Polaris' yesterday.

I was riding a Black 850XRS and my dad was on a lime 850 Poo.    I did notice a lot of new Matryx' as well.  

49 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The OFSC should be complying with the direction of the province and the Chief Medical Officer.

And that is the "recommendation" not to travel between, if you choose too, that is up to you.

If there is a road, trail, path, etc....they should be maintained like any other year.

Enforce what is enforceable, when it applies.

OFSC is paid to provide trails when conditions are available to do so for those that have paid for a permit......not make decisions on a district or club level when they might not want to groom or open a trail.

Let enforcement enforce  the current bylaws in effect surrounding people gathering in groups larger than allowed, not wearing a mask, etc....

I guess this belongs in "rant of the day"..... :)

• Like 1

:right_on:. Do not travel in your own province to socially distancing snowmobiling, but travel all over the world,  Politicians included,  to covid hot spot destinations. Oops, like Stoney said, should have been in the rant of the day section. :headbang:

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I agree, but there is no reason to be closing trails. The Province has made a recommendation to not travel between PHU"s. The OFSC has made the same recommendation. It should end there. The OFSC should not be closing trails other than due to conditions.

The province has put no barriers in place to restrict travel. Why should the OFSC? 

All they had to do was add a dividing line on their map to let viewers know where the PHU changes were.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I was riding a Black 850XRS and my dad was on a lime 850 Poo.    I did notice a lot of new Matryx' as well.  

On a side note - how is the handling of the Poo 850 compared to the XRS?

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I agree, but there is no reason to be closing trails. The Province has made a recommendation to not travel between PHU"s. The OFSC has made the same recommendation. It should end there. The OFSC should not be closing trails other than due to conditions.

The province has put no barriers in place to restrict travel. Why should the OFSC? 

All they had to do was add a dividing line on their map to let viewers know where the PHU changes were.

Very well said. :right_on:

37 minutes ago, toddszr600 said:

Just a guess here, but maybe having those red trails as "barriers"  was part of the deal ,showing that at least they are making some effort, and allowed the OFSC to open and not fall into the ski hill category.....:wtf:

This is a valid point, but honestly to compare the two activities, is not a very strong argument, IMO. They are very different in my mind when you consider the possible interactions while doing both.

And I think ski hills should be open personally, with rules in effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ecarnell said:

On a side note - how is the handling of the Poo 850 compared to the XRS?

I didnt ride the Poo yet to compare.    My Doo is still in break in mode but I can tell you from a rolling start the Polaris is just a titch faster.   My dad jumps ahead and I cannot reel him in.   He just slowly creeps away.   I have a feeling that this will change once my sled goes to full power.   

10 hours ago, ecarnell said:

Black star - did you happen to run b111? Durham to markdale - if so how was it?

thanks

Eric

638757B3-DD91-426A-80B1-66D9EDAB9895.jpeg

Eric    i was up today again    this morning was 70  30  good   bad   this afternoon was 50 50   and the traffic was heavy    gonna be tough to get b111 better   it is beat up real bad  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

I didnt ride the Poo yet to compare.    My Doo is still in break in mode but I can tell you from a rolling start the Polaris is just a titch faster.   My dad jumps ahead and I cannot reel him in.   He just slowly creeps away.   I have a feeling that this will change once my sled goes to full power.   

I doubt that! From what I have heard or read stock to stock the poo is quicker. But I’m just a newbie to the sport of sledding but have drag raced for 25 years  so I love the acceleration of the sleds out of the corners and on the lakes

On 1/7/2021 at 11:28 PM, Blackstar said:

I looped around Durham today. East side has more snow than the west. Don't take the trail that runs through Varney on the east side. Its all mud and ruts.

I was surprised how well the road sections are holding up. I'm done until they get more snow.

Had a good solo ride out of the 'Spot' in Mount Forest today. Taking input from Scott and Blackstar, I planned my loop  up and around Durham in the clockwise direction. I didn't notice more snow to the east because by the time I got east of Durham the trails there were beat. From the Spot, I went north toward Holstein, then west toward Ayton and then north up the west side of Durham, east around past Tobermory Lake and back south with the intention of taking B111 to Markdale area. When I started northeast on B111 at around 1 PM it was pooched and I was seeing way more traffic than I had west of Durham. After only a couple of km of moguls I turned around thinking I might take B111 or B202 south. Again I tried a couple of km of that and turned around wanting to get back to some lesser used trails. Ended up going west on the south side of Durham past the dump and back over to the trail south to Ayton, not on the trail marked to Ayton, but the most westerly one that I had used in the AM. The difference in traffic over there as opposed to the east was huge, and consequently the trail held up through the afternoon. 

I also was surprised how well the road sections held up - no bare pavement as my chicken friends had predicted. Also not as much mud on the day as there may have been earlier in the week, because the brown spots were mostly frozen today. The brownouts were mostly to the south close to Mount Forest, but there were some throughout the day. All in all, except for my attempts to use B111, the day was a 7 out of 10. Good 165 km shakedown with my new Snowtrackers, which I had never used before. I also agree I won't go back for more until we have a substantial snowfall.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Edited by tricky
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Heads up for the facebookless...

Screenshot_20210110-213055_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looked really rough from the roads at the trail crossings i passed yesterday. Glad I didn't bring my sled home.