B110

Pota

35 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

What , if any, is protocol for the red section in Dundalk? Signed trail closed? Reroute , or mums the word? Think this section is just the continuous rail bed correct ?

asking for a friend.

C468EC93-C385-4C8F-A072-7B1AC163E4F9.png

Its where the regional health units change as PLC stated.  Its shown red to line up with the OFSC statement about regional riding in Health units. Yes its the rail line trail. 

8 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Its where the regional health units change as PLC stated.  Its shown red to line up with the OFSC statement about regional riding in Health units. Yes its the rail line trail. 

I figured that much - but reading people “may” have ridden from orangeville/shelburne to owen sound (which can only be done via this section of trails I think) if so , how, any detours / signage/ etc.

Asking for a friend.

I just moved to Shelburne this summer and can see trail 321W from my front door. I was thinking about taking a drive around tonight or tomorrow in the truck to see what the snow is like and see if its worth bringing my sled home from the cottage on the weekend.  I mean I have 2' of snow on my front lawn but that doesn't mean there is much of a base on the rail line.  There is lots of sleds running around the streets around here so they must be riding somewhere?  If anyone else lives in the area and is looking for a riding buddy let me know.

49 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

I figured that much - but reading people “may” have ridden from orangeville/shelburne to owen sound (which can only be done via this section of trails I think) if so , how, any detours / signage/ etc.

Asking for a friend.

Lots have rode the section. I would also say, that anyone coming from the southern end,  most likely ride on thru. 

1 hour ago, ecarnell said:

What , if any, is protocol for the red section in Dundalk? Signed trail closed?

It used to be that  red Trail Closed signs would be posted. That may still be the case but I was told yesterday by our club Trail Boss that The district is telling him that the OFSC has told them not to use the Trail Closed signs any longer. They want to force everyone to use the online trail maps so that riders push the agree to button for liability purposes.  

Personally I don't agree with this decision. There are numerous riders that do not use computers or say they don't and so that provides a convenient excuse for riders on closed trails. I live on a regional highway and the trail crosses onto my side lawn out front. I stake and sign the trails and this year previously installed Trail Closed signs on both sides of the highway when it is in fact closed. There are many people who I see stop their vehicles on the roadside or slow right down at the trail  obviously checking  whether  it is open or not. These people apparently are counting on the signs to tell them if it is OK to ride and it must work because I have only had 2 sleds on this section of the as yet unopend trails this year.  I only the positive side in my estimation is that I will have less stakes to drive and signs to install and turn as necessary.  End of rant.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It used to be that  red Trail Closed signs would be posted. That may still be the case but I was told yesterday by our club Trail Boss that The district is telling him that the OFSC has told them not to use the Trail Closed signs any longer. They want to force everyone to use the online trail maps so that riders push the agree to button for liability purposes.  

Personally I don't agree with this decision. There are numerous riders that do not use computers or say they don't and so that provides a convenient excuse for riders on closed trails. I live on a regional highway and the trail crosses onto my side lawn out front. I stake and sign the trails and this year previously installed Trail Closed signs on both sides of the highway when it is in fact closed. There are many people who I see stop their vehicles on the roadside or slow right down at the trail  obviously checking  whether  it is open or not. These people apparently are counting on the signs to tell them if it is OK to ride and it must work because I have only had 2 sleds on this section of the as yet unopend trails this year.  I only the positive side in my estimation is that I will have less stakes to drive and signs to install and turn as necessary.  End of rant.

People who don't use computers would not have a permit.

The app is free, most everyone has a smart phone.

I've seen more tracks go around a "Trail Closed" sign than I can count.

There is no excuse.

My club's experience is that only a closed gate works....and even that, a$$hats try and sometimes do find a way around it.

We are our on worst enemy.

12 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

The gentleman that owned our clubhouse property until recently doesn't have a computer or a smart phone and yet he has had a permit on his sled every year until he sold it this year. There must be a way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ecarnell said:

What , if any, is protocol for the red section in Dundalk? Signed trail closed? Reroute , or mums the word? Think this section is just the continuous rail bed correct ?

asking for a friend.

C468EC93-C385-4C8F-A072-7B1AC163E4F9.png

I heard from a friend that there is no closed trail signs or detours at that location.

The purpose of the red section is to remind you not to use snowmobiles and OFSC trails to travel from one health unit area to another. This reminder on the map would presumably cause some, but undoubtedly not all, riders to adjust their day trip plans accordingly. Therefore the red section can be considered effective

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coolbane said:

I heard from a friend that there is no closed trail signs or detours at that location.

The purpose of the red section is to remind you not to use snowmobiles and OFSC trails to travel from one health unit area to another. This reminder on the map would presumably cause some, but undoubtedly not all, riders to adjust their day trip plans accordingly. Therefore the red section can be considered effective

Exactly.  

11 hours ago, vooodooo said:

The app is free, most everyone has a smart phone.

I've seen more tracks

he go around a "Trail Closed" sign than I can count.

There is no excuse.

My club's experience is that only a closed gate works....and even that, a$$hats try and sometimes do find a way around it.

We are our on worst enemy.

I have a computer. I use the ITG at home. I use this forum. I don't have a smart phone, and can't carry my computer on  my sled. Sign it or F*** it! A "Trail Closed" sign tells me all I need to know while sledding. The ITG, for me is for planning. If its open when I plan a trip, I won't know, on the fly, if it has been closed unless its signed. If a trail is really closed, then CLOSE it!

Edited by tricky
spell
  • Like 5

Speaking of closed trails, the official staging area on the east side of hwy 6 on the north edge of Mount Forest, is on a portion of the B111 trail that is closed. 1 km away the B111 is open to Holstein and beyond. Does anyone know if I could park at the staging area and ride to the open trail either on the closed trail or down the side of County Road 109. Are the conditions worth making the effort? I am anxious to try out my new used sled.

I've noticed that the OFSC app shown trail does not line up with what is actually staked.   I have my iPhone mounted on my sled with the app constantly running and in view for reference to what is open and closed.  At times the orientation of the map confused me and I would have to stop and question where I was or where I was heading.

For those who keep their phone in a pocket and pull it out for quick reference it would be worse.

A "CLOSED TRAIL" sign is very clear to understand

I agree with the closed signage. If it's due to a landowner issue or hazard like bridge out it should have a sign. If you take a wrong turn or get lost its easy to unintentionally be on a closed trail. I've also gotten lost on a poorly marked reroute and ended up in a construction site with open excavations covered in snow. I wasn't the only one as they were other tracks. That evening I saw a post from that club complaining about off trail riding in there, I wanted to comment but knew I'd be harassed 

Edited by Poo Man

56 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

I've noticed that the OFSC app shown trail does not line up with what is actually staked.   I have my iPhone mounted on my sled with the app constantly running and in view for reference to what is open and closed.  At times the orientation of the map confused me and I would have to stop and question where I was or where I was heading.

For those who keep their phone in a pocket and pull it out for quick reference it would be worse.

A "CLOSED TRAIL" sign is very clear to understand

There are many reasons that staked trails may not exactly match the ITG or app.  A few of them are as follows:

-Different volunteers may stake trails from year to year and especially on agri. fields they may not take the same route across as the past year(s).

-Crop rotation or request by landowners may require a route to be changed for a season or more

-A physical change to a trail such as culvert washout may require a last minute change.

-I'm not sure about this year but I know that in past years it was long term tedious project for some clubs to get a trail change made on the ITG.

The ITG shows the trail entering my prperty in the right place but exiting at the rear of the property instead of where it has exited for a number of years. I believe that because this is only a minor difference and you can easily see the difference when riding, it just never got updated because there were bigger fish for the volunteer in charge to deal with.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

There are many reasons that staked trails may not exactly match the ITG or app.  A few of them are as follows:

-Different volunteers may stake trails from year to year and especially on agri. fields they may not take the same route across as the past year(s).

-Crop rotation or request by landowners may require a route to be changed for a season or more

-A physical change to a trail such as culvert washout may require a last minute change.

-I'm not sure about this year but I know that in past years it was long term tedious project for some clubs to get a trail change made on the ITG.

The ITG shows the trail entering my prperty in the right place but exiting at the rear of the property instead of where it has exited for a number of years. I believe that because this is only a minor difference and you can easily see the difference when riding, it just never got updated because there were bigger fish for the volunteer in charge to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Fully understandable,  I was just making others aware....thanks

brian

11 hours ago, tricky said:

Speaking of closed trails, the official staging area on the east side of hwy 6 on the north edge of Mount Forest, is on a portion of the B111 trail that is closed. 1 km away the B111 is open to Holstein and beyond. Does anyone know if I could park at the staging area and ride to the open trail either on the closed trail or down the side of County Road 109. Are the conditions worth making the effort? I am anxious to try out my new used sled.

Get there early. That parking lot was jammed full of trucks and trailers today.

I drove up to Durham today. Going through Alma I noticed that the groomer had been through to trail at the road crossing. Coming home later today, I noticed that the trail had been staked at the road crossing with Closed signs. I'm talking 3 stakes in the trail with the closed sign on the middle one. That's how you show people that the trail is closed.

11 hours ago, tricky said:

I was told there is a big water hole on that section so still closed  also people went around the hole and rode thru a tree plantation. Club volunteer is trying to fix it up 

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I drove up to Durham today. Going through Alma I noticed that the groomer had been through to trail at the road crossing. Coming home later today, I noticed that the trail had been staked at the road crossing with Closed signs. I'm talking 3 stakes in the trail with the closed sign on the middle one. That's how you show people that the trail is closed.

Was talking to club guys. Real issues with trails crossing health units. Can't get enough km of trail in area so keep areas closed for now I was told.  Was up to Mount Forest today. Really decent running. Heading again tomorrow

37 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

I was told there is a big water hole on that section so still closed  also people went around the hole and rode thru a tree plantation. Club volunteer is trying to fix it up 

Maybe I'm completely wrong but........There is no water hole on that stretch of trail. I've rode it many times. Its 3-4 corn fields that are on high ground and then you hit the railbed that is open. Same deal last year.

The water hole is on the west side of #6 from what I remember and that's why that side is always slow to open.

54 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Was talking to club guys. Real issues with trails crossing health units. Can't get enough km of trail in area so keep areas closed for now I was told.  Was up to Mount Forest today. Really decent running. Heading again tomorrow

I looped around Durham today. East side has more snow than the west. Don't take the trail that runs through Varney on the east side. Its all mud and ruts.

I was surprised how well the road sections are holding up. I'm done until they get more snow.

I don't understand why the OFSC wants to worry about the travel between PHU's. They have made a statement saying to abide by the recommendations of the Province. If the province wants to enforce the "recommendation" let them do it themselves. The OFSC's main focus should be providing trails to its permit buyers. just my opinion.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe I'm completely wrong but........There is no water hole on that stretch of trail. I've rode it many times. Its 3-4 corn fields that are on high ground and then you hit the railbed that is open. Same deal last year.

The water hole is on the west side of #6 from what I remember and that's why that side is always slow to open.

K k. I wasn't sure but buddy was saying trail is closed for this water hole. Then another buddy says to me later that was that trail. Lol   we went down to the high school and left from there.   Thanks for advice on Durham. I still gotta get my bearings up there.  You know when I go there I usually am the follower cause your old neighbor from Schweitzer takes us around   and there is no time or need to know where you are.  Just the places to eat :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecarnell said:

Black star - did you happen to run b111? Durham to markdale - if so how was it?

thanks

Eric

638757B3-DD91-426A-80B1-66D9EDAB9895.jpeg

No, I didn't. I looped around Durham's west side, across the top and then down the east side into Varney.  I figured there would be a lot more traffic on the B111.