OFSC groomer trace

coolbane

Is there a way to monitor activity of the OFSC/club groomers so we could estimate when last a specific trail was groomed? I'm specifically interested in D4/D9 groomers. 

As an example, on the Quebec app you can see the elapsed time since each trail section was last groomed.

Yes there is a way.

It is a feature of the fleet monitoring system.

Need a username and password, only available to a select few.

I believe the OFSC asked the Clubs not to publish their SPOT links but I am not absolutely sure of that as I moved to Kitchener from North Bay.

I started doing that many years ago when I was with NBSC and a few other clubs did as well.

It has both advantages and disadvantages.

I am quite sure the Clubs are not supposed to publish the OFSC Groomer Tracking links.

I still think it useful to publish a screenshot of the SPOT tracks a day or two afterwards to show sledders what the Club's groomers have been doing but if all Clubs don't do it that can create issue to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Many Clubs have Facebook pages which usually provide the latest situation and of course read comments from users as to what they experienced as well.

I miss old Trail reports were Comments and last groom Were recorded. If there was logging for 5 km’s It would say. Now if it is yellow don’t really know what to expect. It was very informative. Now can’t say anything and have to go searching on Facebook book to find answers. 

• Like 1

Less is Best, when it comes to SM pages these days.  Always have to refer people back to the IATG etc...  

Problem was, some clubs report where and what they do, some clubs don't.  If you are used to seeing a club report every little thing, then all of a sudden you are in a different area, and hit something you weren't expecting, because the club didn't "report "it, then it becomes a liability issue.

Or, maybe the logging issues started at noon today, and the club updated at breakfast time etc...

Too many money hungry lawyers looking for a way to "Get you What you Deserve", when what you deserve is a swift kick in the arse and take responsibility for your own actions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coolbane said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought I had seen some discussion about it a few months ago, but I guess not. 

I'll go take my chances and hope they groomed it:icon_hyper:

I like the feature that Quebec shows on their interactive map. It shows when the trail was last groomed. It would be a great feature for us. Maybe in the future. The OFSC APP and interactive trail guide have gotten better each year so you never know...

• Thanks 1

Personally I like the way the trail conditions are reported today over what was done before. I remember things like C trail from X road to the junction of 19 is in good condition. From 19 to Y road is moderate with some wet spots. If you were a local and rode these trails regularly the reports may be meaningful to you. If you weren't familiar with the names of the roads, the lakes and the trails themselves you would be trying to look for them on paper maps and hopefully finding what you needed to know.

• Like 2

IMO, having live grooming activity available to most, is just waiting for issues. Most clubs do a decent job of updating groomed trail status. Just another issue we dont need right now in this sport.  Lots of info on clubs Facebook pages, and other forms of social media......:icon_steer:...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

IMO, having live grooming activity available to most, is just waiting for issues. Most clubs do a decent job of updating groomed trail status. Just another issue we dont need right now in this sport.  Lots of info on clubs Facebook pages, and other forms of social media......:icon_steer:...

do they have trouble with it in Quebec? I havent read that there were issues

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave K said:

Less is Best, when it comes to SM pages these days.  Always have to refer people back to the IATG etc...  

Problem was, some clubs report where and what they do, some clubs don't.  If you are used to seeing a club report every little thing, then all of a sudden you are in a different area, and hit something you weren't expecting, because the club didn't "report "it, then it becomes a liability issue.

Or, maybe the logging issues started at noon today, and the club updated at breakfast time etc...

Too many money hungry lawyers looking for a way to "Get you What you Deserve", when what you deserve is a swift kick in the arse and take responsibility for your own actions.

Nailed it. I am one of the moderators for our clubs FB page and I can tell you we are posting less than ever before. Can't post hazards, can't screenshot the ITG.

To be honest we are all volunteers and groomer operators. the FB page is last on our priority list of things to do. Sad but true.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, barberch said:

do they have trouble with it in Quebec? I havent read that there were issues

Do they give actual live status of a groomer?. :wtf:. I know they update the Quebec map once trails are groomed,  but not sure about actual grooming locations..

16 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

I understood from a previous post that the Quebec system shows when a particular trail was last groomed which is probably the best way to go.

Thats what my understanding is also. Which is great, and most likely creates less issues.

8 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Do they give actual live status of a groomer?. :wtf:. I know they update the Quebec map once trails are groomed,  but not sure about actual grooming locations..

they show how many hours has passed since the trail was groomed

1 minute ago, Turbo Doo said:

I think thats a good way?. :wtf:. Thoughts?. 

I like it. I would also like it if they could show where logging is taking place on a trail and where a trail is actually on a road. fingers crossed.....

There is alot of things that would be nice features.  :right_on:

its getting better each year!

With some data being real time info, and some of that data changing daily, i would think it would get to a point of needing someone to watch over it 24/7. Depending on data and detail level. 

Maybe but it might be money well spent.

There is a Facebook group Ontario Realtime Sledding Info. Closed group and it provides fairly recent info regarding trails from actual riders who rode the trail. No BS tolerated.

• Like 1