Haliburton Forest - Thoughts/Conditions

Chickey6.archived

We went to the Forest today (Thursday). Conditions were way better than last Saturday. Groomers are getting on top of things again now the traffic has reduced this week and the colder temperatures are really helping .

Groomers have been over some of the side trails now once. First pass didn't make them perfect but not the sno-cross bumps they were last weekend.

Looking at the trucks in parking lot today l estimate they were at 50% capacity today.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, Puggz said:

Doesn't matter. No different than driving a car; these are motorized and licensed vehicles, hopefully with insurance :).

MOT rules apply. 

On private land a person does not need a helmet nor do they require insurance. It has to in the waiver you sign, but still an interesting and unique situation. Can police enforce the hta on a closed course motor park such as calabogie? I think not.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, Chickey6 said:

It was beautiful but not totally what we were expecting with paying the extra.

Crazy busy in the morning when we got there, but lucked into two perfect parking spots side by side to unload the seven machines.  Trails were pretty good when we first went out but by lunch time were a mess, especially if you got into the inner loop and side trails.  The road trails seemed to be better, but were busier.  We got stuck behind some REALLY slow groups a few times that didn't even seem to know we were behind them.

We BBQ'd "Lupper" around 3:00 and then went back out around 4.  Lots of people leaving at this time, but most of the trails were a rough ride.  Finally met a groomer around 6ish and were excited for a good smooth ride, but the groomed trails didn't seem that great.  It was like the groomer didn't pack the snow enough and was just dragging the crest of the woops. 

All in all it was a good first time out for all our group and we all had a Great time!  Definitely used to putting more Km's on in the amount of time we rode. 

I just wonder if more snow would better the conditions or if they are always like this?

they were grooming during the day when we were there too. The trail doesnt get a chance to set up and is quickly destroyed

2 hours ago, zoso said:

On private land a person does not need a helmet nor do they require insurance. It has to in the waiver you sign, but still an interesting and unique situation. Can police enforce the hta on a closed course motor park such as calabogie? I think not.

Correct but only on land owned by the operator of the sled

HTA - My mistake :o

15 hours ago, barberch said:

they were grooming during the day when we were there too. The trail doesnt get a chance to set up and is quickly destroyed

Strange they use to go out at about 4pm and groom all night. Trails use to be awesome first thing in morning until early afternoon depending on traffic. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Strange they use to go out at about 4pm and groom all night. Trails use to be awesome first thing in morning until early afternoon depending on traffic. 

I think they still do that.   Both times I was there last year the groomers were parked during the day.

54 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Groomers were sitting during the day when we were there and we only saw them after dark.