Haliburton Forest - Thoughts/Conditions

Chickey6.archived

They actually own double the area shown on that map.  They just have not expanded their trail network or campsites.  

1 minute ago, Sksman said:

They actually own double the area shown on that map.  They just have not expanded their trail network or campsites.  

When riding in the Haliburton area there are many signs saying it is land owned by the forest

Just now, barberch said:

When riding in the Haliburton area there are many signs saying it is land owned by the forest

If you take the sled trail off north end of haliburton lake and cross Ross Lake road you cross ontoForest Property.  They own both  sides along hydro lines all the way up right of way to Algonquin Park.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haliburton_Forest  From reading this wikipedia post I believe most of the info on it comes from people connected to the Forest.  Current owners are the son of the original purchaser who lived in Germany.  At the time this massive section of Ontario was transferred to the present owners parent, it was considered worthless, junk land, not much value left in the heavily logged property.  No one in the government realized back in the 1960s what this property would be worth in 2020.   Thousands of acres, lakes everywhere, logging roads all thru it, and all control and ownership sent to one man who died  after buying it and leaving it to his very young son in Germany.  I have known and respected Peter Schleifenbaum for over 30 years as a very dedicated forester, landowner etc.  and am very thankful that he has taken this legacy very seriously, logging properly, providing jobs, well run campsites, sled trails etc.https://financialpost.com/news/haliburton-forests-peter-schleifenbaum-is-a-modern-lumber-baron-but-hardly-typical#:~:text=from our team.-,Haliburton Forest stretches 40%2C000 hectares%2C which puts it among the,modern lumber baron of sorts.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, SRXChris said:

In the forest or on private property? 

Yes, and yes again :-D.  Think of it this way - someone in the H forest while driving like an asshat hurts someone or worse while they are on a motorized vehicle. Does that mean that the other laws don't apply? I'm sure the OPP wasn't on private property illegally.

22 hours ago, Sksman said:

Some areas have posted speed limits.  

My guess would be when you sign the liability form you agree to abide by conditions.  One being no speeding.  
And 2 no cans allowed.

And 3 valid insurance.  

I just read the form and it is strictly an assumption of risk & waiver of liability agreement.  No where does it state anything about abiding by their speed limit, though it is posted in the forest.

1 hour ago, Chickey6 said:

I just read the form and it is strictly an assumption of risk & waiver of liability agreement.  No where does it state anything about abiding by their speed limit, though it is posted in the forest.

So how was your experience in the Forest?

27 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

So how was your experience in the Forest?

It was beautiful but not totally what we were expecting with paying the extra.

Crazy busy in the morning when we got there, but lucked into two perfect parking spots side by side to unload the seven machines.  Trails were pretty good when we first went out but by lunch time were a mess, especially if you got into the inner loop and side trails.  The road trails seemed to be better, but were busier.  We got stuck behind some REALLY slow groups a few times that didn't even seem to know we were behind them.

We BBQ'd "Lupper" around 3:00 and then went back out around 4.  Lots of people leaving at this time, but most of the trails were a rough ride.  Finally met a groomer around 6ish and were excited for a good smooth ride, but the groomed trails didn't seem that great.  It was like the groomer didn't pack the snow enough and was just dragging the crest of the woops. 

All in all it was a good first time out for all our group and we all had a Great time!  Definitely used to putting more Km's on in the amount of time we rode. 

I just wonder if more snow would better the conditions or if they are always like this?

10 minutes ago, Chickey6 said:

I just wonder if more snow would better the conditions or if they are always like this?

Snow helps but it is always heavily traveled. In my opinion it's great to scratch the early season itch and for newbies. By the time the trails in there are great the ofsc trails are great too.

I've been there in the spring a few times, after the local ofsc trails were closed (ie late March and early April). On those occasions, the forest had a well established smooth base that allowed for some brisk riding speeds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blake G said:

I've been there in the spring a few times, after the local ofsc trails were closed (ie late March and early April). On those occasions, the forest had a well established smooth base that allowed for some brisk riding speeds.

But not above the posted speed,  right Blake?. B):icon_steer:

17 minutes ago, Chickey6 said:

It was beautiful but not totally what we were expecting with paying the extra.

Crazy busy in the morning when we got there, but lucked into two perfect parking spots side by side to unload the seven machines.  Trails were pretty good when we first went out but by lunch time were a mess, especially if you got into the inner loop and side trails.  The road trails seemed to be better, but were busier.  We got stuck behind some REALLY slow groups a few times that didn't even seem to know we were behind them.

We BBQ'd "Lupper" around 3:00 and then went back out around 4.  Lots of people leaving at this time, but most of the trails were a rough ride.  Finally met a groomer around 6ish and were excited for a good smooth ride, but the groomed trails didn't seem that great.  It was like the groomer didn't pack the snow enough and was just dragging the crest of the woops. 

All in all it was a good first time out for all our group and we all had a Great time!  Definitely used to putting more Km's on in the amount of time we rode. 

The forest is good for early season ride/scratch or late season ride, otherwise, stick to the OFSC trails if you can once season is in full swing (assuming you have a trail pass).

I am guessing the groomer does not have a lot of snow to pull in from the sides/bush to help smooth out the trails more without wrecking the base that they are trying to build o top of - early season conditions unless more snow falls.

The odd thing about the forest and that area in general is, the snow coverage can vary a fair amount from one side to the other side.

Riders not knowing or maybe not caring who is behind them, is just one of those annoying things you have to deal with.....

6 minutes ago, stoney said:

The forest is good for early season ride/scratch or late season ride, otherwise, stick to the OFSC trails if you can once season is in full swing (assuming you have a trail pass).

I am guessing the groomer does not have a lot of snow to pull in from the sides/bush to help smooth out the trails more without wrecking the base that they are trying to build o top of - early season conditions unless more snow falls.

The odd thing about the forest and that area in general is, the snow coverage can vary a fair amount from one side to the other side.

Riders not knowing or maybe not caring who is behind them, is just one of those annoying things you have to deal with.....

Yes, we have a cabin rented for a week in the Haliburton area to ride the OFSC trails.

Bring on the SNOW!!

26 minutes ago, Chickey6 said:

just wonder if more snow would better the conditions or if they are always like this?

This early in the year this is pretty common, no other trails are really open and people are itching to get out.  I usually go once or twice between Xmas and New Year's.

IMO the side trails are really nice and there are some great loops which don't see much traffic but they need the snow for this to happen.

Try again in Feb and I think you would really enjoy it.  Spring riding in April is very nice too

• Like 1

Forest is usually a great ride once ofsc trails in area are all open. February a good time to go in there and trails are typically smooth with less traffic, compared to ofsc system. Early season riding I avoid place, since everyone flocks there. Once they get more snow and less traffic it is a great ride. Better too once lakes are open for riding. I can go across kennis and into forest that way, where less people ride and avoid north road. 

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Better too once lakes are open for riding. I can go across kennis and into forest that way, where less people ride and avoid north road. 

Some Forest lakes should be staked soon, people are running Redstone and Little Kennisis.  I'm on Big Kennisis, it's wide open!

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Good to know. I am surprised they are running red stone already. That is a deep lake too just not as big as kennisis. 

It's almost as deep as Kennisis, the wind from the West keeps Kennisis open.  It pretty much closed up last week but then the wind picked.

2 hours ago, Chickey6 said:

Yes, we have a cabin rented for a week in the Haliburton area to ride the OFSC trails.

Bring on the SNOW!!

I recall you had a post about the cottage rental in the area.....do you have the rental now or a bit later?

x2....need some more snow for sure!

20 minutes ago, stoney said:

I recall you had a post about the cottage rental in the area.....do you have the rental now or a bit later?

x2....need some more snow for sure!

Mid February, so hoping conditions are good! B)

On 1/5/2021 at 7:43 AM, Puggz said:

Yes, and yes again :-D.  Think of it this way - someone in the H forest while driving like an asshat hurts someone or worse while they are on a motorized vehicle. Does that mean that the other laws don't apply? I'm sure the OPP wasn't on private property illegally.

So the HTA is enforceable on my on private property? 

42 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

So the HTA is enforceable on my on private property? 

The Highway Traffic Act isn't enforceable on private property," said Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. ... And because Ontario parking lots aren't considered roads, you generally can't be charged with breaking the HTA. That also means you can drive a vehicle without a licence, insurance or registration on private property.Feb 2, 2016

The above  doesn't mean the police can't chase or follow you off the road onto your private property and charge you for an offence committed on the road.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The Highway Traffic Act isn't enforceable on private property," said Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. ... And because Ontario parking lots aren't considered roads, you generally can't be charged with breaking the HTA. That also means you can drive a vehicle without a licence, insurance or registration on private property.Feb 2, 2016

The above  doesn't mean the police can't chase or follow you off the road onto your private property and charge you for an offence committed on the road.

I believe they use the MSVA to lay charges on trails.

Livin'

23 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

I believe they use the MSVA to lay charges on trails.

Livin'

I think you are correct, which is why the fines are different (flat fee) i.e. speeding, no stunt charges, etc......

As far as private property, parking lots, etc.....cops have very limited control here to enforce much.

There is a reason you want to avoid parking lot accidents as much as possible.....

I recently talked to a cop parked at my kids school, asked him why he was there, he said to make sure all get to school safe and good for kids to see police so not afraid.

I asked him then why he does not enforce U-turns in front of the school creating safety issues or people running stop signs out front. He said he cannot enforce people running stops sign on school/private property, I said not that one, the one right by the school.....

The next day the officer is back and I see he now has a person pulled over on the street...:rotflmao:

And if I want to let my kids drive my old truck, car, sled, etc....on my property, nothing you or the police can do about that.

• Like 1