Helmets.

T bird

10 hours ago, stoney said:

That is exactly what I thought it was as well - I know on other days I did just that and ran my finger along the seal at the top of the visor when I took my helmet off, which was not often on the trails honestly.

We only stopped for lunch twice I think all week, so really no reasons to take it off.......maybe that exaggerated the issue.

The two vents at the front froze up as well on a few of the days.

How did you have the vents set?

i have not had seal issues and have only plugged in once.  

But am still trying to get the two vents figured out.   Had a little frost at edges so I adjusted vents and it went away.  

51 minutes ago, Sksman said:

How did you have the vents set?

i have not had seal issues and have only plugged in once.  

But am still trying to get the two vents figured out.   Had a little frost at edges so I adjusted vents and it went away.  

Open at first as having some fresh air come in is what I wanted & like, it was not until I noticed the cold air causing my eyes to water and wind burn just under my eyes, I than closed them and noticed some ice built up on them - not really an issue, just an observation....I was trying to see if it was them causing the air leak around my eyes, which I was pretty sure was not.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:34 AM, barberch said:

Although I have no memory of the day or my time in Sunnybrook hospital (they took me by air ambulance) my wife and son saw it happen and gave me the details. On March 20th I decided to cut down a dead tree on the property not far from the house. I was about 20 feet up on the ladder. The 3rd branch i cut off was about 10 inches in diameter and when it hit the ground it shot back and hit the ladder. Although I had the top of the ladder tied off there was enough force for it to kick the bottom of the ladder out and I fell 20 feet to the ground landing on my left side and head. My first memory was when they moved me to rehab about a month after the fall. I had eyesight issues that resolved themselves at the 6 month mark. At the 7 month mark, I was able to get my drivers licence back. I still have no sense of taste or smell which happens to many who suffer a traumatic brain injury and also many who have had Covid. Unfortunately  I got covid while in Sunnybrook after I finally got out of ICU. There is nothing the doctors can do to help me get it back. You can have similar injuries when falling 6 feet or falling 20 feet according to the doctors I have spoken to. I was 55 years old when it happened last year enjoying my first year of retirement. 

It has been a terrible journey for me and my family. Many dont survive falling from a ladder. I am a lucky one they tell me. Please be carful when using ladders. They brain injury therapists I saw in Whitby after I finally got home, told me that there isn't a time that they dont have at least 10 people who suffered a brain injury from a fall from a ladder.

Oh man, I feel sad for you. Hopefully you will totally recover. It can happen with anybody and change your life in a second. Be careful and care about yourself and family. 

• Like 1

Got 3 mission helmets on our trip. 2 have bubbled visors and all 3 are full of snow when they open their shields. I was thinking of getting one.  But the BV works pretty good   no heat to the shield needed.   I also wear glasses. 

On 2/7/2022 at 8:12 AM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

My BVS2 is the best helmet I have had so far. 

X2

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

Got 3 mission helmets on our trip. 2 have bubbled visors and all 3 are full of snow when they open their shields. I was thinking of getting one.  But the BV works pretty good   no heat to the shield needed.   I also wear glasses. 

Full of snow??

Frost will form around the ports on the inside at the front on the left and right side that is away from your face.....this is from the warm air from your mouth being drawn out through the ports that exit at the rear of the helmet - obviously the colder it is outside, the more frost forms, but it a non issue.

Bubbled visors should be a warranty item.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear.

I never bought the electric shield. 7 years of riding ( no eyeglasses ) - never needed it. 

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Sorry to hear.

I never bought the electric shield. 7 years of riding ( no eyeglasses ) - never needed it. 

Typically that is a weather related need.

Wet snow on a cold day or freezing rain.

It's not something typically needed for frost on cold days, but it can happen - likely dependent [again] on humidity.

OK, so can someone explain to me the whole MX biker visor thing?

Isn't that historically for helping to keep mud roost from getting you in the face when you are riding too close to your bud? 

(or racing if you are into that)

So, does the average trail sled rider have issues with roost chunks these days?

Does the average trail sled throw chunks these days - like everyone was fussing aboot our paddle tracks 15 yrs ago?

If I start to git those, it just tells me that it's time to back off, or run point.

???

20 minutes ago, Ox said:

Typically that is a weather related need.

Wet snow on a cold day or freezing rain.

It's not something typically needed for frost on cold days, but it can happen - likely dependent [again] on humidity.

OK, so can someone explain to me the whole MX biker visor thing?

Isn't that historically for helping to keep mud roost from getting you in the face when you are riding too close to your bud? 

(or racing if you are into that)

So, does the average trail sled rider have issues with roost chunks these days?

Does the average trail sled throw chunks these days - like everyone was fussing aboot our paddle tracks 15 yrs ago?

If I start to git those, it just tells me that it's time to back off, or run point.

???

We're gettin old Ox! LOL  My buddies 1.75" paddles spit chunks like crazy if he was on the throttle to heavy which he often is. He cut the paddles off to 1.25" and problem solved. I don't think the wannabe snow crossers are cutting theirs off though.

On my last sled with the 1.75" track, I would normally opt to stay at the back due to the chunks that it threw.

On a recent ride, buddy on a Poo Assault would spit out slush chunks, I think his track was a cobra 1.35" (???) - when it was real cold, they instantly froze on the visor.

17 hours ago, stoney said:

On my last sled with the 1.75" track, I would normally opt to stay at the back due to the chunks that it threw.

On a recent ride, buddy on a Poo Assault would spit out slush chunks, I think his track was a cobra 1.35" (???) - when it was real cold, they instantly froze on the visor.

Both my son and i have the 1.6 inch ice ripper. Never get behind that thing. 

Ox, I have the MX visor on my Mission helmet, it has 2 positions.  I find the lower position great for blocking the sun on bright days.  Yes I also use the sun visor but a lot of time prefer just using the MX visor to block sun from eyes.

As for chunks, my Titan had the 1.8” Cobra track.  No one followed that sled up close. 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, andreyboater said:

Oh man, I feel sad for you. Hopefully you will totally recover. It can happen with anybody and change your life in a second. Be careful and care about yourself and family. 

Time for a pole saw. I don’t use ladders anymore. Can reach everything I need to from the ground. Much safer. Had a few close calls myself and bought  saw. It is way faster too. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:00 PM, volunteer2 said:

Don’t put your mission helmet directly over a heat source on your sled. Like behind the handlebars on a cat or sidewinder. Will cause shield to bubble. Doing that with a Modulaire will also cause it to lose its seal on the visor

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Don’t put your mission helmet directly over a heat source on your sled. Like behind the handlebars on a cat or sidewinder. Will cause shield to bubble. Doing that with a Modulaire will also cause it to lose its seal on the visor

Good advice!

It gets really hot there. 
Melted my hand mirrors a few years ago doing that. 
Brother puts his gloves there to warm them up. 

Great glove warmer. X2 on that.

Thx for helmet advice. 

+1 for oxygen. I leave the cord connected to my jacket and inside up to the back of my neck so it’s easy to just plug in. I always run it plugged in, can have it on the lower settings and sometimes need to. I can really feel the heat on my face on the higher settings. Cochrane week was highest the whole time but locally usually lowest. Usually vents open too and balaclava pulled back off my forehead and chin, really not on my face at all. 

• Thanks 1

So who has Mission helmets Medium in stock? Hard to find now a days.

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

So who has Mission helmets Medium in stock? Hard to find now a days.

That’s a small head …. lol. 
Im sure you’ve already inquired but Rosseau seem to have good inventory earlier on of these helmets. 

Yep none in my size