Helmets.

T bird

8 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

My brother and I have missions. He wears glasses with no trouble and finds the electric shield helps too 

Good to know. I had to give up sledding this year because of a fall i had from a ladder in March resulting in a brain injury but hope to get back in for next year. First time I will miss a season for many years.....

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

Sorry to hear about the fall and injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

This thread has proven helpful in my search for a new helmet. Also looking at the Mission, from Rosseau Road Powersports. Really enjoyed my BRP BV2S helmet, but it's getting on in age (like the owner). Bought in 2013, might have been on the shelf year before. What's the expiry date or recommended swap on helmets? And it's not the age of product alone - it never fit perfectly, in the sense that hard plastic front nose enclosure rubbed against  nose when it shifted. Not something I noticed at date of purchase, but over time and on cold days, annoying. 8 great years out of it. 

BRP helmet.

Klim (Polaris) suit.

Yamaha boots (blue with Yamaha logo).

Arctic Cat snowmobile.

I felt like the United Nations of snowmobiling. Represented all countries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, barberch said:

Good to know. I had to give up sledding this year because of a fall i had from a ladder in March resulting in a brain injury but hope to get back in for next year. First time I will miss a season for many years.....

That sucks to hear - hopefully you will be able to fully recover.

Do you mind me asking the details surrounding the fall and the injury? Was it a far fall or just the way you landed or what you landed on perhaps. 

I am up and down a ladder at home fairly often doing various things - could always have a fall myself that could be worse than you expect. 

7 hours ago, stoney said:

That sucks to hear - hopefully you will be able to fully recover.

Do you mind me asking the details surrounding the fall and the injury? Was it a far fall or just the way you landed or what you landed on perhaps. 

I am up and down a ladder at home fairly often doing various things - could always have a fall myself that could be worse than you expect. 

Although I have no memory of the day or my time in Sunnybrook hospital (they took me by air ambulance) my wife and son saw it happen and gave me the details. On March 20th I decided to cut down a dead tree on the property not far from the house. I was about 20 feet up on the ladder. The 3rd branch i cut off was about 10 inches in diameter and when it hit the ground it shot back and hit the ladder. Although I had the top of the ladder tied off there was enough force for it to kick the bottom of the ladder out and I fell 20 feet to the ground landing on my left side and head. My first memory was when they moved me to rehab about a month after the fall. I had eyesight issues that resolved themselves at the 6 month mark. At the 7 month mark, I was able to get my drivers licence back. I still have no sense of taste or smell which happens to many who suffer a traumatic brain injury and also many who have had Covid. Unfortunately  I got covid while in Sunnybrook after I finally got out of ICU. There is nothing the doctors can do to help me get it back. You can have similar injuries when falling 6 feet or falling 20 feet according to the doctors I have spoken to. I was 55 years old when it happened last year enjoying my first year of retirement. 

It has been a terrible journey for me and my family. Many dont survive falling from a ladder. I am a lucky one they tell me. Please be carful when using ladders. They brain injury therapists I saw in Whitby after I finally got home, told me that there isn't a time that they dont have at least 10 people who suffered a brain injury from a fall from a ladder.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 7

32 minutes ago, barberch said:

Although I have no memory of the day or my time in Sunnybrook hospital (they took me by air ambulance) my wife and son saw it happen and gave me the details. On March 20th I decided to cut down a dead tree on the property not far from the house. I was about 20 feet up on the ladder. The 3rd branch i cut off was about 10 inches in diameter and when it hit the ground it shot back and hit the ladder. Although I had the top of the ladder tied off there was enough force for it to kick the bottom of the ladder out and I fell 20 feet to the ground landing on my left side and head. My first memory was when they moved me to rehab about a month after the fall. I had eyesight issues that resolved themselves at the 6 month mark. At the 7 month mark, I was able to get my drivers licence back. I still have no sense of taste or smell which happens to many who suffer a traumatic brain injury and also many who have had Covid. Unfortunately  I got covid while in Sunnybrook after I finally got out of ICU. There is nothing the doctors can do to help me get it back. You can have similar injuries when falling 6 feet or falling 20 feet according to the doctors I have spoken to. I was 55 years old when it happened last year enjoying my first year of retirement. 

It has been a terrible journey for me and my family. Many dont survive falling from a ladder. I am a lucky one they tell me. Please be carful when using ladders. They brain injury therapists I saw in Whitby after I finally got home, told me that there isn't a time that they dont have at least 10 people who suffered a brain injury from a fall from a ladder.

Jeez man. Glad your ok. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, barberch said:

Wow, I'm sorry to here of your injury but glad you are getting back to normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barberch said:

Thanks for sharing and wishing you a successful road to recovery. 

Another thing I frequently use ladders for are trimming my trees, doesn’t take much for this to happen. 
20 feet doesn’t sound like much, but it is on a ladder while handling a saw. 
I have one tree that needs to come down, but I’ll be renting a boom lift for that one when I’m ready. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barberch said:

@barberch  glad your still with us, and best wishes to getting back to sledding, and making a %100 full recovery.  The Dutchman and I remember running into you guys at Smoothys a few years ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barberch said:

Best wishes on your recovery, I experienced a brain injury 11 years ago in a car accident, sounds like yours was much worse then mine, every week you get better very slowly and don't know it, it is only after thinking what you were like a month or so previous that you realize the progress. Take care and enjoy your retirement.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, barberch said:

Wow! Sounds like a nasty fall. Glad your on the road to recovery. I cut down a tree in my backyard this summer. Took some unnecessary risks. Your story will make me think twice the next time. Hope you make a full recovery. All the best.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

@barberch  glad your still with us, and best wishes to getting back to sledding, and making a %100 full recovery.  The Dutchman and I remember running into you guys at Smoothys a few years ago. 

Thanks. I remember meeting you guys there as well. Always great riding up there!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, barberch said:

You will be back. Good luck

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

You will be back. Good luck

Maybe we can all do another Kawartha Lakes run when barberch is good to go!

I have a 4stroke now so I don't have to be last in line anymore...lol..

• Like 1

Just finished a week long saddle bag trip and on occasion my Mission helmet seem to have an air leak, I assume around the seal.

I think it happened only one day.

Normally not a huge deal, but on really cold days and travelling at a quick pace, I found my eyes watering and skin just under my eyes getting a little wind burn.

Anyone have any feedback on this based on knowing or hearing of this happening to others?

Otherwise, helmet worked great. Used the heated visor once on the day it was snowing pretty good just to avoid the potential issues for that day and needing to get the wires out on the trail vs. at the start of the day when it was easier - anything that hit the visor would normally turn into a ice ball right away otherwise. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stoney said:

Just finished a week long saddle bag trip and on occasion my Mission helmet seem to have an air leak, I assume around the seal.

Normally not a huge deal, but on really cold days and travelling at a quick pace, I found my eyes watering and skin just under my eyes getting a little wind burn.

Anyone have any feedback on this based on knowing or hearing of this happening to others?

Otherwise, helmet worked great. Used the heated visor once on the day it was snowing pretty good just to avoid the potential issues for that day and needing to get the wires out on the trail vs. at the start of the day when it was easier - anything that hit the visor would normally turn into a ice ball right away otherwise. 

Following, Im due for a new helmet. Still on the fence between Mission and the Oxygen. 

9 hours ago, stoney said:

I’ve had this happen also, only happens to me on colder days when the visor is left open after riding for a trail side stop.  Moisture will freeze up on the rubber seal of the helmet and or on the edge of the visor where it meets the seal.  Any time that I’ve felt air I have always been able to clear the ice off by running my finger along the seal to make sure it’s clear of build up and eliminate any air leak.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

I’ve had this happen also, only happens to me on colder days when the visor is left open after riding for a trail side stop.  Moisture will freeze up on the rubber seal of the helmet and or on the edge of the visor where it meets the seal.  Any time that I’ve felt air I have always been able to clear the ice off by running my finger along the seal to make sure it’s clear of build up and eliminate any air leak.  

Exactly. Once, after a trail stop, and getting to the Moonbeam clubhouse, the front opening was frozen shut, I was in the clubhouse providing entertainment to everyone as I was trying to get the helmet off without opening it, like a dog's head  stuck in a can. I had to put my face over a heater until the ice melted.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

Following, Im due for a new helmet. Still on the fence between Mission and the Oxygen. 

Oxygen Helmets.  @Mrs Turbo Doo and Myself are finally happy with ours. We've had them for a few seasons now, but have replaced the cords and faceshields. If you bought one this season, the new part number faceshields are junk. Many people having issues with them. It's a great helmet otherwise.  Nothing compares to comfort, warmth and visibility.  But I highly recommend having a spare controller with you all the time, and have a dealer test your shield before purchasing. 

My wife and I are on our third season with the Oxygen helmets, and finally had enough of the constant problems with controllers and shields having to be replaced - we're at 4 controllers and 3 shields between our two helmets now. On top of that, we had many issues with the shield freezing up and then being unable to close it properly after stopping on the trail for a break.

I switched to a Mission in December, and my wife did the same in January, we are both very happy with the switch - the Oxygen is great when it works, but for us the number of failures and the frustrating issues with them freezing up on trail-side stops became too much.

• Like 2

Just now, 00vert said:

My wife and I are on our third season with the Oxygen helmets, and finally had enough of the constant problems with controllers and shields having to be replaced - we're at 4 controllers and 3 shields between our two helmets now. On top of that, we had many issues with the shield freezing up and then being unable to close it properly after stopping on the trail for a break.

I switched to a Mission in December, and my wife did the same in January, we are both very happy with the switch - the Oxygen is great when it works, but for us the number of failures and the frustrating issues with them freezing up on trail-side stops became too much.

My thoughts exactly.  We are thinking about trying the Missions for next season 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arctic JC said:

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Exactly. Once, after a trail stop, and getting to the Moonbeam clubhouse, the front opening was frozen shut, I was in the clubhouse providing entertainment to everyone as I was trying to get the helmet off without opening it, like a dog's head  stuck in a can. I had to put my face over a heater until the ice melted.

That is exactly what I thought it was as well - I know on other days I did just that and ran my finger along the seal at the top of the visor when I took my helmet off, which was not often on the trails honestly.

We only stopped for lunch twice I think all week, so really no reasons to take it off.......maybe that exaggerated the issue.

The two vents at the front froze up as well on a few of the days.

On our trip, the two helmets that seem to be seen the most consistently by those staying over at destinations were Mission and Oxygen.

Tons of locals wearing the MX style helmets though.