Helmets.

T bird

1 hour ago, Toyman said:

I have been using a BV2S for the last several years and when it finally started to fog it was because I wore out the yellow rubber face cup. The rubber got thin and too soft to make a proper seal.  Replaced that part as well as modifying the center or main breath box valve by adding an additional hole to allow more air in during mild conditions.  I now have a solid, one, three and four hole valves made to cover the whole temp range. These helmets still work great for me.

Mine is the heated visor but is only plugged in and used during freezing rain.  

Don’t get me wrong, I love the helmet. I’ve replaced everything in the breathbox. Next time out I’m going to try my old balaclava. Wonder if the new Klim one I have isn’t allowing a perfect seal 

1 hour ago, T bird said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the helmet. I’ve replaced everything in the breathbox. Next time out I’m going to try my old balaclava. Wonder if the new Klim one I have isn’t allowing a perfect seal 

Maybe.  I have only worn a couple of different balaclavas but never had any noticable effect.  Maybe it's time to shave that beard you grew this year!  I'll be shaving mine tomorrow!

Edited by Toyman
Spelling
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, barberch said:

you ride with the shield up? Why?

I love the fresh air and the wind.. always have. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up my new CKX Mission from Rousseau Road today.

Added a pair of snowtrackers on to the order also.

Great service and great pricing.

Thank you for recommendations.

Now to fit, ride and enjoy.

• Like 5

On 1/6/2021 at 8:13 PM, Toyman said:

Maybe.  I have only worn a couple of different balaclavas but never had any noticable effect.  Maybe it's time to shave that beard you grew this year!  I'll be shaving mine tomorrow!

They seem to be hard to find but there are very thin but warm snowboarder's balaclavas - Hot Chile and Garneau - work very well for warmth without bulk and collect the sweat from your head and are easily washed - saves some helmet maintenance.

• Like 1

BRP Oxygen - Phenomenal.  No breath box, build in curtain, huge visor, check out the videos. The CKX Mission looks to be the bomb as well.

Oxygen helmet is the best IMO. Field of vision is terrific, the comfort/fit is even better and the helmet light on the back is a bonus safety feature. It also has a "heated garage" for the pull down sun visor. It is no longer dripping with moisture when you want to use it. Also, mine came with a 4 year warranty when I bought it I am not sure if this is still in place but just a heads up. They did have an issue with the visors but stop at any Doo dealer and they are replaced on the spot no questions asked. 

Edited by SteveB

Another vote here for Mission. Messed with many brands and styles over the years, full face fixed, modular, MX, nothing compares, have over a 1000kms on it so far this season and it's been flawless. Lightweight, incredible field of vision, very quiet and warm with zero leaks, have only plugged in when riding when heavy wet snow was falling. When not plugged in it tends to fog a bit if I'm muscling a workout in the tight stuff at slow speeds, but as soon as you grab a little speed it clears really fast. The internal flip down sun shield works great no issues with it fogging so far. Was worried about the adjustable visor catching wind at speed, which it doesn't at any speed, and it stays in the position you want it at, up or down and big enough to block the sun glare mornings and eves. Also as Nunz mentioned no issues riding with visor up when you feel the need to cool off and breath a little fresh air. 

My helmet speakers fit really well and with it being such a quiet helmet I have no need to crank up my tunes, unless something really good is playing. The quietness does mess with trailside talking though, I talk loud enough as it is, but apparently now with this lid everyone thinks I'm yelling at them, even with it open lol 

Edited by Nutter
  • Like 2

If I hadn't bought a helmet in the late stages of last winter I would buy a mission lid.

Edited by soupkids
  • Like 1

Retired the 12 year old BVS 2 bought a Mission last week a few minor adjustments for fit and good to go. I was concern about the shade of the sun visor being to yellow but  it is bang on . Now will it last a decade, time will tell probably not an issue because l may not last that long .

Rode with my new Mission helmet Saturday.  

Love it.  No fogging.  Easily adjusted.  No plug in all day Saturday.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, stoney said:

Purchased a Mission helmet today from Rosseau.
Other than getting the breath deflector positioned properly, any other suggestions or advice that could be shared regarding it?

I’d suggest a balaclava without the breath box. Other than that it’s an amazing helmet 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

I’d suggest a balaclava without the breath box. Other than that it’s an amazing helmet 

Ya, I was not going to use my klim balaclava......planning to go back to the unwind one with this helmet.

Thanks!

we run the Klim arctic and glacier balaclava's and no breath box, in the helmets now. arctic for cold days, glacier for warmer days, or when working hard. Ski

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stoney said:

Ya, I was not going to use my klim balaclava......planning to go back to the unwind one with this helmet.

Thanks!

I bought the Klim one with no breath box and a couple of the ckx ones that seem to work well 

G-Max GM11

I ride a LOT of single track dirt bike the other 9 months of the year, and a helmet without a visor just seems wrong.

Normally the breath box is in the back pocket, Light balaclava. Bula from Costco, cheap as chips! I ride with goggles when it's warmer than -10 sometimes, NICE to have that option. The shield works well. It's electric but I think I only plugged it in a couple of times last year during COLD night riding when there was a lot of stop and go.

I wear sunglasses. A LOT. Anti-fog safety glasses work great. Another X-over from dirt biking, where I nearly never wear goggles in the single track. Fogging is minimal, just crack the visor if it's in play when starting off, and leave it open when stopped. 

The only possible complaint is the noise at highway speeds. Scala helps. 

Another pic of Diane being very happy on her "hand me down" Apex.

IMG_20200217_160425058.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/3/2021 at 12:40 PM, T bird said:

What do y’all have, wear and suggest? Currently have a BV2S. Recently started to fog up on me. If I can’t figure out the fogging issues I will be on the look for a new bucket. Any input would be great. 

3 best snow helmets money can buy. Note that the CKX models fit narrow across the cheek bones but they now have different thickness cheek pads for a more custom fit.

1. BRP Oxygen - Best overall with xtra large viewing area/visor and 3 stage heated helmet/visor.

2. CKX Mission - Best modular and available in Carbon for a super light solution

3. CKX Titan - Best w/goggles (even heated goggles avail.) Huge goggle/lens options, largest viewing area, etc. Flip down mouth piece for taking a drink or a smoke w/o removing the entire bucket.  The Titan original is actually made for trail riding.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, barberch said:

Anyone with the mission wear glasses?

My brother and I have missions. He wears glasses with no trouble and finds the electric shield helps too 

• Like 1

I just got a Mission and wear glasses.  I have a graveyard of helmets in trying to solve the glasses issue over the years.  For the past 4 years had a motocross type helmet with prescription goggles - works well - unless super cold out.

Last week/weekend had the opportunity to use the Mission for the first time and it was bitterly cold out and first impressions were phenomenal.  I did have some fogging but would be solved with cracking the visor and it was relatively minor.  I think with more tinkering with the mouth/nose rubber piece I could get it perfect (one thing was when lowering the visor it would hit my glasses or press them too firmly into my face).  I did get the heated visor and had it plugged in so cannot comment on whether I actually needed that or not.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rainer said:

I just got a Mission and wear glasses.  I have a graveyard of helmets in trying to solve the glasses issue over the years.  For the past 4 years had a motocross type helmet with prescription goggles - works well - unless super cold out.

Last week/weekend had the opportunity to use the Mission for the first time and it was bitterly cold out and first impressions were phenomenal.  I did have some fogging but would be solved with cracking the visor and it was relatively minor.  I think with more tinkering with the mouth/nose rubber piece I could get it perfect (one thing was when lowering the visor it would hit my glasses or press them too firmly into my face).  I did get the heated visor and had it plugged in so cannot comment on whether I actually needed that or not.  

Fogging of the visor or your glasses?.

Visor never fogged - my glasses - but again was minor fogging.  If I had put on a 'normal' helmet there would be no way could ride with glasses on.