Helmets.

T bird

CKX Mission for me, great helmet!!  Have the electric shield but did not use it once in over 3k km’s of riding last year in all temps.    The recall is for the small release strap on the chin strap, original one may stick to the Velcro of the chin curtain, replacement one is rubber.  Had a replacement sent to me in October.  CKX or Kimpex customer service was very good to deal with.  

Edited by Arctic JC
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

CKX Mission for me, great helmet!!  Have the electric shield but did not use it once in over 3k km’s of riding last year in all temps.    The recall is for the small release strap on the chin strap, original one may stick to the Velcro of the chin curtain, replacement one is rubber.  Had a replacement sent to me in October.  CKX or Kimpex customer service was very good to deal with.  

can you wear glasses in them?

7 minutes ago, barberch said:

I don’t wear glasses so I can’t answer that... but there is a groove/cut out in the foam of the helmet for glasses.

E66877CF-649C-41B1-BA40-7E7816E729FE.jpeg

• Like 1

I rode with a Nolan modular for over 10 years until I bought my Oxygen last year. Nolan stopped producing the electric shields or I would still be wearing it as its the best helmet I've ever had.

The Oxygen works great, although I miss the modular at trailside stops. Not sure what the balaclava comments are as I've never worn one.with any helmet. I do ride with the shield open a crack a fair amount of the time though. It needs some vents.

I miss the communicators in my Nolan too. I need to add something to the Oxygen for wife rides.

8 hours ago, barberch said:

I have worn glasses once or twice with the Titan. It is ok, you have to put helmet on first, then glasses and then goggles. You have to seat goggles tight to maintain seal. I mainly wear my contacts.

Bought a CKX Mission with electric shield this season, coming from an FXR Fuel modular.  Have only used it on one 160km ride so far, but I like it for the most part.  I removed the inner rubber shield, and will have to modify the large velcro'ed chin seal, I can't get the helmet on with it in place.

After using the built-in sun shield a couple times, it now sticks out of its slot somewhat at rest, I will have to take a closer look and see why.

Another minor issue, even with the supplied clip in place to support the cord, my electric shield plug kept coming out of the receptacle on the shield during my ride.  Will have to come up with something to hold it in place.  Never had to MacGyvr things like this on any previous HJC or FXR helmet I owned, somewhat frustrating to have to be making these mods to a sub-$600 helmet.

On the positive side, the field of vision is amazing, the helmet is light, and I love the adjustable visor.  Hopefully I can find solutions to the annoyances I've found and be happy with it.

Edited by Spanky

3 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bought a CKX Mission with electric shield this season, coming from an FXR Fuel modular.  Have only used it on one 160km ride so far, but I like it for the most part.  I removed the inner rubber shield, and will have to modify the large velcro'ed chin seal, I can't get the helmet on with it in place.

After using the built-in sun shield a couple times, it now sticks out of its slot somewhat at rest, I will have to take a closer look and see why.

Another minor issue, even with the supplied clip in place to support the cord, my electric shield plug kept coming out of the receptacle on the shield during my ride.  Will have to come up with something to hold it in place.  Never had to MacGyvr  things like this on any previous HJC or FXR helmet I owner, somewhat frustrating to have to be making these mods to a sub-$600 helmet.

On the positive side, the field of vision is amazing, the helmet is light, and I love the adjustable visor.  Hopefully I can find solutions to the issues I've found and be happy with it.

Do you have the fiberglass or carbon one?

2 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

I have the fiberglass one, there didn't seem to be a big difference in weight according to the spec's for the extra price, and I'm not a fan of a matte black finish.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

You should be contacting your dealer and or the manufacturer as some of these items should be warranty if within the timeframe.

31 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Another minor issue, even with the supplied clip in place to support the cord, my electric shield plug kept coming out of the receptacle on the shield during my ride.  Will have to come up with something to hold it in place.  Never had to MacGyvr things like this on any previous HJC or FXR helmet I owned, somewhat frustrating to have to be making these mods to a sub-$600 helmet.

On the positive side, the field of vision is amazing, the helmet is light, and I love the adjustable visor.  Hopefully I can find solutions to the annoyances I've found and be happy with it.

Is the rubber shield easy to put back in?

Is the rubber required for cold days?

I am looking at buying one soon. Who has best prices?

30 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Is the rubber shield easy to put back in?

Is the rubber required for cold days?

I am looking at buying one soon. Who has best prices?

Call Rosseau Rd they have the best prices on them, several of our friends have bought from them this year.

The rubber shield takes about 2 minutes to re-install best bet is to play with it in the house and see how it attaches. I never take the rubber insert/breath box out on mine.

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

that is very weird about the electric plug in, are you putting the one with the elbow at the shield? I would take it back to your dealer and see if they can look at it if you are having issues, I put over 4000 miles on mine last year and had no issues at all with it.

14 minutes ago, Nunz said:

The rubber shield takes about 2 minutes to re-install best bet is to play with it in the house and see how it attaches. I never take the rubber insert/breath box out on mine.

I agree with Nunz, I spent some time at home getting the breath box set up correctly, to the point that it’s sits tight enough to prevent fogging but not to tight that it’s uncomfortable.  I never rode without it and I think that the shield would have to be plugged in the majority of time riding without it.  I would pull the breath box out after my rides to give it a cleaning as a lot of moisture collects inside of it.  Very simple to remove/install.

Does anyone like to ride with visor up? 

I ride with it open when I can.  Can you do that with Misson helmet?

39 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Does anyone like to ride with visor up? 

I ride with it open when I can.  Can you do that with Misson helmet?

I ride with mine up all the time unless riding behind someone, no issues at all

Hey Nunz - how is the fitment of the Mission size wise - did you find that you had to go up/down a size?  I'm normally a Large in other helmets - debating on pulling the trigger as it seems like it may be a good solution for my glasses.  Looks like they have two shell sizes (S-L and XL and up) Currently my best set up ever is prescription goggles and helmet - although on really cold days not ideal.

Mine is up most all the time, but I'm not seeing the speeds that y'all are.

.. but I haven't ran a windshield very often in years.

Edited by Ox

Not enough said of the Ski Doo Modulaire 3. rode everywhere all temps. No electric shield. Love my helmet. Use mini pads in the breath shields. lol. Works great. 

• Like 2

I still miss my old HJC Airtech2. With the HJC neck curtain attached at the bottom. Could be -40 and you were still warm in there.

Using an HJC modular now (CL Max?), and I like it except for wind noise. No electric shield and never had it fog on me in over 3000kms or riding.

Best part is that it was not a $650 helmet to buy 

Edited by Zertrider

19 hours ago, rainer said:

Hey Nunz - how is the fitment of the Mission size wise - did you find that you had to go up/down a size?  I'm normally a Large in other helmets - debating on pulling the trigger as it seems like it may be a good solution for my glasses.  Looks like they have two shell sizes (S-L and XL and up) Currently my best set up ever is prescription goggles and helmet - although on really cold days not ideal.

Sizes are very comparable to most other ones, however I wore a 3xl in the Bell Adventure so last year when I ordered my Mission I order a 3xl but when it arrived I found it way to big so went with a 2xl and it fits me perfectly. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:40 PM, T bird said:

What do y’all have, wear and suggest? Currently have a BV2S. Recently started to fog up on me. If I can’t figure out the fogging issues I will be on the look for a new bucket. Any input would be great. 

I have been using a BV2S for the last several years and when it finally started to fog it was because I wore out the yellow rubber face cup. The rubber got thin and too soft to make a proper seal.  Replaced that part as well as modifying the center or main breath box valve by adding an additional hole to allow more air in during mild conditions.  I now have a solid, one, three and four hole valves made to cover the whole temp range. These helmets still work great for me.

Mine is the heated visor but is only plugged in and used during freezing rain.  

On 1/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, Nunz said:

I ride with mine up all the time unless riding behind someone, no issues at all

you ride with the shield up? Why?

On January 3, 2021 at 1:08 PM, andreyboater said:

Have same problem with BV2S, I think because face shape and hard breathing. Finally switched to Modular 3  never have any problem since, this year bought Oxygen didn't try yet so no reviews . 

My daughter bought this last year.  She fogs everything and the oxygen does Not fog.  She is a seasoned sledder and loves it.