Helmets.

T bird

What do y’all have, wear and suggest? Currently have a BV2S. Recently started to fog up on me. If I can’t figure out the fogging issues I will be on the look for a new bucket. Any input would be great. 

• Like 1

Ckx Mission helmet, best I’ve ever had 

Have same problem with BV2S, I think because face shape and hard breathing. Finally switched to Modular 3  never have any problem since, this year bought Oxygen didn't try yet so no reviews . 

Wore out an old Lazer SN45 (disguised as a Ski-Doo helmet back in the 90's)

I bought a new HJC and hated it as it gave me ice cream headaches!

Started buying up all the old Lazers like my old one on E-bay ever since.

I doo NOT recommend that you follow suit - unless you are looking for a different size than I take.

• Haha 2

Have a 509 MX helmet & goggles.

I really like the openness, field of vision, being able to hear more things and no wires.

Been thinking that it might be time to get something new, but not in a hurry.... 

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

Ckx Mission helmet, best I’ve ever had 

Do you need electric visor with this and wire hook up?

Just looking at there website now, looks like a nice helmet!

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

Do you need electric visor with this and wire hook up?

Just looking at there website now, looks like a nice helmet!

I have the electric shield on mine. Last season I used it twice never really needed it and I did over 4000 miles with it. The only reason I’ll plug it in on the really cold days is to keep the neck curtain from freezing up. Rosseau Rd has the best prices on them. I picked up a new one this year and kept last years as a spare. 

5 minutes ago, Nunz said:

I have the electric shield on mine. Last season I used it twice never really needed it and I did over 4000 miles with it. The only reason I’ll plug it in on the really cold days is to keep the neck curtain from freezing up. Rosseau Rd has the best prices on them. I picked up a new one this year and kept last years as a spare. 

Thank you!

So, how many helmets you have now have siting at home....it seems you have a new one each year :)

• Haha 1

I wore Mx style and goggles for years. Not sure I want to go back to that or not. I hate having a cord. However they are handy for those days when freezing/fogging up happens 

29 minutes ago, stoney said:

Thank you!

So, how many helmets you have now have siting at home....it seems you have a new one each year :)

Lol only two, I sold off all the old ones and kept one of the Bell Helmets for atv riding. I think I’m good for helmets for a couple years now. 

• Like 1

I wear an FXR MX helmet with breath guards and carry a couple of pairs of higher end 100% goggles.   1 pair is tinted and the other is clear.    I can flip back and forth depending on the light conditions.   I prefer this set up over anything after years of riding off ride bikes.   MX helmets just "feel" better to me.   

When it is really cold, I have an HJC Adventure Style helmet with a heated shield that I really like and the best part was that I bought it on close out from Parts Canada for $150 + tax.   Its a $350 helmet normally.   

37 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I wear an FXR MX helmet with breath guards and carry a couple of pairs of higher end 100% goggles.   1 pair is tinted and the other is clear.    I can flip back and forth depending on the light conditions.   I prefer this set up over anything after years of riding off ride bikes.   MX helmets just "feel" better to me.   

When it is really cold, I have an HJC Adventure Style helmet with a heated shield that I really like and the best part was that I bought it on close out from Parts Canada for $150 + tax.   Its a $350 helmet normally.   

That was the exact set up I had. Had several pairs of goggles for different scenarios. I’m sure mx style helmets and goggles today are quite a bit better than 15-20yrs ago. 

33 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Both Mrs. Turbo Doo and myself are using the Doo Oxygen helmets. There was a bit of a learning curve to them, mainly a proper balaclava. But we both really like them alot. Awesome fit, comfort and a very wide field of vision.  

I’ve heard lots of good things regarding the oxygen helmets. Especially from those like yourself that say they are great once you figure things out. What’s the deal on the balaclava? Also do they have to be plugged in all the time or only in certain conditions? I have friends that just purchased them as well but they haven’t been out to try them yet. 

I bought a HJC cx1 and it is modular  and comfortable, no electric shield though  and I am a bit disappointed that while riding in warm weather (-2) water runs down the right side of the shield. Ill have to play with it but regret not just buying the mission helmet.:(

59 minutes ago, T bird said:

I’ve heard lots of good things regarding the oxygen helmets. Especially from those like yourself that say they are great once you figure things out. What’s the deal on the balaclava? Also do they have to be plugged in all the time or only in certain conditions? I have friends that just purchased them as well but they haven’t been out to try them yet. 

Imo, you need to be plugged in all the time.  For me, since i am a heavy breather,  i need it on the highest setting.  Both the Mrs and I bought decent Klim balaclavas that seem to control the moisture from your breath good. I also find sometimes leaving the shield cracked a little helps big time.  The helmet is so good at aerodynamics that leaving it cracked a bit, you get a bit of airflow,  but not any wind at all. The helmets very very quiet. Mrs. Turbo Doo nevers needs to crack hers, but she is a light breather. The helmet would be absolutely %100 perfect if it had one or 2 more vents. The entire sun glass area above your head is heated, so thats why sometimes i crack the shield, due in part of me needing to run it on high for my breathing style. But even after all that, i really like the helmet.  Comfort, fit and visibility is top notch.

I have the CKX Tranz 1.5 AMS, very happy with it, poor mans Mission if you will. I had a leak develop last year they gave me a new helmet, rode a few times this year and it works really well, haven't had it plugged in yet. I looked seriously at a Mission but this was half the price and I spend enough on this sport as it is:grin:

I've been happy with a XXXL BRP Modular 3 Electric for the past 23,000 kms. The first thing I did was remove the breath evac mask system. I ride with the electric shield plugged in 99% of the time.

The only issue seems to be that I have to tighten the visor side screws every couple of rides.

I tried to like the Oxygen, but it's a full face helmet that made me feel claustrophobic. 

• Like 1

I have had the Titan the last 3 years and really like it, but looking to get the Mission next.

Anyone with the mission wear glasses?

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

I've been happy with a XXXL BRP Modular 3 Electric for the past 23,000 kms. The first thing I did was remove the breath evac mask system. I ride with the electric shield plugged in 99% of the time.

The only issue seems to be that I have to tighten the visor side screws every couple of rides.

I tried to like the Oxygen, but it's a full face helmet that made me feel claustrophobic. 

Breath mask system is good. Still using my original modular from 1997. Replaced mask system a few times but it is very comfortable and never fogs up. 

just doing some research on the Mission and came across a Canadian recall for Titan and Mission helmets. Just an FYI for those that have them and didnt know

CKX brand Titan and Mission helmets manufactured between May 2016 and March 2020

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2020/73141r-eng.php

Edited by barberch