Ever sunk a sled?

GrizzlyGriff

3 hours ago, stoney said:

So he was able to put another dash on the chalk board beside his sled manufacture at the grill....lol

The Grill was nice enough to put my buddies clothes in their dryer for him & we bought him some spare clothes at Robinson's.

Lol, he absolutely got add himself to the chalkboard - I believe we have a photo of that somewhere. 

Our cottage was right around the corner - everything was close by.

Here is my on my Pro X 600 and my buddy Trev waaaaay back running dorset.

Top quality cameras back then.

• Like 1

These guys used to head out onto Georgian Bay from Waubaushene on April 1. They were also followed by helicopter though.

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Lol, he absolutely got add himself to the chalkboard - I believe we have a photo of that somewhere. 

Our cottage was right around the corner - everything was close by.

Here is my on my Pro X 600 and my buddy Trev waaaaay back running dorset.

Top quality cameras back then.

Good times :cheers:

Never sunk a sled and never plan too :D

My brother and I sunk our 1961 Skidoo with a sleigh hooked on behind with a load of Maple Syrup. That was fun to get out but we did and got the Maple Syrup home. Engine blew up the next year. Not sure if that had anything to doo with it. 

Always had 4 strokes so am well aware of the added weight.  Had one of my daughters following me on my Venture, on an RX1 a few years back.  First down a local club trail too soon after the first groomer pass of the season.  

Trail crossed a stream and I felt my track break through as I passed, but momentum carried me over.  She was not as lucky and that short track sunk in 3' of water with the skis and half the front sticking up. Wouldn't budge and it was cold.  Short 2 up ride to the nearest country house to borrow a come-along to pull that heavy overbuilt sled out.  Sled was nearly froze in, in the hour we were gone as the temp was < -15. Slowly but surely it came out and back we went to that house for thanks and a visit.

Fun memory now but at the time she was shaken up by the whole experience. Character building I say.

I don't understand why - if you have planned to go skipping - and if you was at this event in Dorset, then obviously it is planned - why wouldn't you have soap on a rope and seat off?

(Tide bottle)

I've never done it - really, but there have been several times when it was just water coming out the back of the sled, although it was snow covered on top.

But I wonder about how a mtn sled acts?

I'm thinkin' that you would likely want to go slower with the long track and big lugs?

1 hour ago, Ox said:

I don't understand why - if you have planned to go skipping - and if you was at this event in Dorset, then obviously it is planned - why wouldn't you have soap on a rope and seat off?

(Tide bottle)

I've never done it - really, but there have been several times when it was just water coming out the back of the sled, although it was snow covered on top.

But I wonder about how a mtn sled acts?

I'm thinkin' that you would likely want to go slower with the long track and big lugs?

Dorset-used to be a guy there with tanks that charged $50 to hook your ski so it could be hauled out!

4 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Dorset-used to be a guy there with tanks that charged $50 to hook your ski so it could be hauled out!

If you watch the video of me and my buddy, I am going first, in the first 10 seconds you can see the divers equipment at the edge and the diver walking up as I am coming onto the water. I think at that point of the day, there was already 2 or 3 sleds down lol

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

These guys used to head out onto Georgian Bay from Waubaushene on April 1. They were also followed by helicopter though.

I’ve watched this video several times!!.... I love it!!!... and would love to achieve such status!

This is a pic from ‘05 in Dorset. Rode the area for years prior. Said screw it!!.... we gots to try it at some point!!... friggen love it!! Dying to build a watercrosser!!...... not so sure how the newer machines handle long periods of open water vs  older machines with a “full” belly pan 

E7D0E0FE-2B9D-450F-BC5E-418B60E4EE83.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 10:56 AM, Strong Farmer said:

That’s cool. 6 pick down is my blue viper on left side, While stopping at ice caves. Beside it is a Polaris iq 600 that my friend Sarah was riding. Still can’t believe we got a bit lost after lunch at bass lake house. Thankfully leaders back tracked us and made it back to wharf in slush snow conditions if you remember. I must have just missed you that day .

I did not know a lot of people there so not sure who this is. Look familiar to you?

BUSH0022.thumb.JPG.07aac650d9f7b90d4b49f0b4f2444a29.JPG

45 minutes ago, slomo said:

I did not know a lot of people there so not sure who this is. Look familiar to you?

BUSH0022.thumb.JPG.07aac650d9f7b90d4b49f0b4f2444a29.JPG

Yes that’s me too and my hen at time named Sarah riding my dads Polaris. Standing there watching everyone get sled ready to be pulled out. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Thanks for this post to remind to me to go back in the garage and add some silicon around the belly pan clutch area on the current bush/kids sled I have.  Looked at that two hours ago.   Water on the primary clutch is never good, even with just top water on the lakes. 

Been in the water in the dark with 3 other buddies.. prefer not to go back.  Grew up on lakes west of Sudbury.. so sooner or later we pushed our luck too far.. but luckily no lives lost and knowledge gained. 

The frozen seat was a kind reminder every morning left on the previously sunk sled. ( 92 Indy 440 ) .. near impossible to get all the moisture out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, largedaryl said:

Thanks for this post to remind to me to go back in the garage and add some silicon around the belly pan clutch area on the current bush/kids sled I have.  Looked at that two hours ago.   Water on the primary clutch is never good, even with just top water on the lakes. 

Been in the water in the dark with 3 other buddies.. prefer not to go back.  Grew up on lakes west of Sudbury.. so sooner or later we pushed our luck too far.. but luckily no lives lost and knowledge gained. 

The frozen seat was a kind reminder every morning left on the previously sunk sled. ( 92 Indy 440 ) .. near impossible to get all the moisture out. 

Yup, my buddy tried everything and eventually said frig it and bought a new seat.

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Are those Weber grill owners kid by any chance? 

That would be them... I don't believe they are doing it anymore.

NO.

Mind you a few years ago I broke thru the newly frozen layer of ice after the creek's ice dropped, flooded up & refroze. Scared the :angry-smiley-005: out of me.