Ever sunk a sled?

GrizzlyGriff

I’ve seen some of my buddies go down and a few at Dorset. I came close once but I m glad it was never me

Yup

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Skipped a section of open water once. Have zero interest in doing it again. Sinking a new sled is something thats not high on my list.

Great fun Jeff-put a brand new  '09 'Doo 800 down in 75' of H2O 12 years ago-got another brand new one from insurance in a couple of weeks!

3 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Great fun Jeff-put a brand new  '09 'Doo 800 down in 75' of H2O 12 years ago-got another brand new one from insurance in a couple of weeks!

P.S.-wasn't water skipping-went thru the ice-I got out [obviously]!

1 hour ago, Muskoka1 said:

P.S.-wasn't water skipping-went thru the ice-I got out [obviously]!

Most likely there will be a  few of those incidents this year unless the weather gets colder and real fast

Edited by Muskoka Bill

I never gone down but have been with people that have and usually doing somthing stupid like running open channel between two lakes.  Ruins day pretty fast when you have to make other arrangements. No way I would want to try any skipping this winter, with not many places to go to dry out, If you do go down. 

3 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

been there done that . We were on boshkung and lost our bearings at night 

Did you ever get the sled out of the water and how, I have often wondered what you do if it were to happened ?

4 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Did you ever get the sled out of the water and how, I have often wondered what you do if it were to happened ?

yes it wa shallow just jumped in and dragged it out . got it running and rode it 

• Like 1

Puddle jumped many times, never sunk a sled however my college buddy did sink my old 700 on Georgian bay a year after I sold it to him,

38 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

yes it wa shallow just jumped in and dragged it out . got it running and rode it 

Was Cehyoopers and Larry riding with you? 

A buddy of mine lost a brand new 2013 Pro X on Lake St Peter. Never retrieved sled and got a new one from insurance a few weeks after.  We were all parked in a group and it didn’t just drop real quick, front end first which gave him time to get away. He didn’t even get wet. 

What about day we were on donuts musoka tourer and sponge bob decided to run open channel near lake joesph. He sank there and he got a diver and put a rope on it. Then as diver was down there working on getting rope tied to sled, a Yamaha comes splashing thru just narrowly missing diver. Pretty sure that person was on this board on some point too. 10 of us dragged sled out on a rope. Bob got it running and rode rest of season. Then I seen sled for sale at end of season. Buyer beware out there. Must have been a few others there like Canuck and his wife that day love my viper and a few other long time members. 

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

What about day we were on donuts musoka tourer and sponge bob decided to run open channel near lake joesph. He sank there and he got a diver and put a rope on it. Then as diver was down there working on getting rope tied to sled, a Yamaha comes splashing thru just narrowly missing diver. Pretty sure that person was on this board on some point too. 10 of us dragged sled out on a rope. Bob got it running and rode rest of season. Then I seen sled for sale at end of season. Buyer beware out there. Must have been a few others there like Canuck and his wife that day love my viper and a few other long time members. 

A few pics from that day....bob had a few of me on his camera....got lost when he submerged...

BUSH0011.thumb.JPG.9a3f0e7260c3396fbbf3716c8217c074.JPG

BUSH0012.thumb.JPG.e68cc3198db3bbc24b121e72bd17f727.JPG

BUSH0014.thumb.JPG.07c72f2ffe142458401c20957bac2e64.JPG

BUSH0020.thumb.JPG.33f4a6494d2fee70b27852e4ebafd29d.JPG

BUSH0024.thumb.JPG.3b8a660c52f917956dcb1222cbf05914.JPG

1726153275_icecaves.jpg.74eb7ed357f64615ff74a4e7203f9466.jpg

sign said "Stay on Trail" ...so we did...except bob of course...

1686542837_stayontrail.jpg.cc62682a6747e1eb3038cba35230b6d8.jpg

Kind of miss the old days before the braying of jackasses on facebook...

• Like 2

yep, playing, skipping water, went tail down, nose up 12 oclock.

when that happens instinct takes over, you let off. couldnt catch it in time, to keep momentum. threw helmet, gloves to the ice to keep dry, rode the sled "down", not knowing how deep it was. thankfully it was only 4.5-5feet deep, and i am 6 feet tall. when i got off the sled, it raised up. i got in, dragged it to a shallower area, pulled it out by myself, with the wife's help.

I was in the water 30-40 minutes on and off. i was cold as hell. towed sled back to  the hotel, got in the hot tub, sled loaded into the trailer. drove to a friends house an hour later, took off the hood, pulled plugs, rolled sled upside down, pulled it over until water stopped coming out. put the plugs back in, set the choke, started first pull. gotta love yamaha triples (01 SRX).

I drained fuel, oil, chaincase, took seat off (no real way to dry that out, they just never doo). decided it was a high mileage unit anyway, sold it on TY being totally upfront, what happened, and priced accordingly. a member there from new hampshire called me, asked a bunch of questions, said, "if it is as clean as you say, i will take it, i will be there saturday morning."

that next saturday, he was there, when i woke up, he drove all night friday, to get to me. he told me "i ride jet ski's, we sink them at least once a day, i do the same thing you did, and dry it out, and keep riding." he never even tried to talk me down on price, due to the condition of the sled, prior to the sinking. he emailed me about 18 months later saying, he dried out the headlamp, bought a new (used) seat, and was still riding it. LOL!

the things we do when young and dumb. miracle i survived, as long as i have. but, to be old and wise, you must be young and foolish. :D 

Ski 

• Like 1

I forgot about my sinking incident that I had years ago.

Brother and I doing a late night run after arriving at the cottage, I hit a couple of moguls on the trail that happened to cause me to pin the throttle on one of them and I my sled ends up in a river beside the trail, front half is totally submerged, rear is partially in the water and on the shore. We tried to pull it out but just could not so went looking for some extra help/muscle at some cottages not too far away, by the time we returned my sled was out and there was a large group of guys that were there. They saw the tracks and then my sled but not the person...so they were looking for the rider and pulled sled out at the same time.

Drained the water from the cylinders, replaced the spark plugs and she fired up....headed back to the cottage for the night.

Changed the gear case oil as well and the next day we did a very big ride that day, sled was not running right for a little while, but by the end of the long day, she was running same as always.

Changed the gear oil again when I got got home and I never had any issues with the sled afterwards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Divers went down & airbagged mine to surface!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slomo said:

A few pics from that day....bob had a few of me on his camera....got lost when he submerged...

BUSH0011.thumb.JPG.9a3f0e7260c3396fbbf3716c8217c074.JPG

BUSH0012.thumb.JPG.e68cc3198db3bbc24b121e72bd17f727.JPG

BUSH0014.thumb.JPG.07c72f2ffe142458401c20957bac2e64.JPG

BUSH0020.thumb.JPG.33f4a6494d2fee70b27852e4ebafd29d.JPG

BUSH0024.thumb.JPG.3b8a660c52f917956dcb1222cbf05914.JPG

1726153275_icecaves.jpg.74eb7ed357f64615ff74a4e7203f9466.jpg

sign said "Stay on Trail" ...so we did...except bob of course...

1686542837_stayontrail.jpg.cc62682a6747e1eb3038cba35230b6d8.jpg

Kind of miss the old days before the braying of jackasses on facebook...

That’s cool. 6 pick down is my blue viper on left side, While stopping at ice caves. Beside it is a Polaris iq 600 that my friend Sarah was riding. Still can’t believe we got a bit lost after lunch at bass lake house. Thankfully leaders back tracked us and made it back to wharf in slush snow conditions if you remember. I must have just missed you that day .

Ran Dorset way too many times to count and thankfully never went down.

That said, running it one evening, my buddy was behind me as well - I get to the other end, turn, see a pile of steam and him splashing his arms.

Raced back, parked on shore - he was coming out - there was already a guy there with a rope looking to fish his sled out ( previously sunk ), my buddy turns to him and says can I borrow it, guy says sure, my friend takes the rope, swims back out, down, ties on his sled, we pulled it out - he went to the Fiery grill to warm up- our other friends went back, got truck/trailer, change of clothes, I dragged his sled off the shore, into the trailer.

It was an event.

Not sure I skipped again after that.

6 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Ran Dorset way too many times to count and thankfully never went down.

That said, running it one evening, my buddy was behind me as well - I get to the other end, turn, see a pile of steam and him splashing his arms.

Raced back, parked on shore - he was coming out - there was already a guy there with a rope looking to fish his sled out ( previously sunk ), my buddy turns to him and says can I borrow it, guy says sure, my friend takes the rope, swims back out, down, ties on his sled, we pulled it out - he went to the Fiery grill to warm up- our other friends went back, got truck/trailer, change of clothes, I dragged his sled off the shore, into the trailer.

It was an event.

Not sure I skipped again after that.

So he was able to put another dash on the chalk board beside his sled manufacture at the grill....lol

The Grill was nice enough to put my buddies clothes in their dryer for him & we bought him some spare clothes at Robinson's.

sank ass end of the 69 ski whiz when I was seven on lake simcoe near the shore. Sank a 78 motoski in the canal at lagoon city, 2 others went in as we were all parked there. Have not gone swimming myself but 3 of four of us did on grass lake west guilford when my buds gf had a mental breakdown and drove one intentionally into open water where the river flows in. Getting her out caused my wife and buddy to go in , we got everyone out. Tied a rope to buddy after he was already wet and he ran to the edge breaking through and saved his gf just as she was letting go of edge and going under, she was in for over 1/2 an hour. He received a bravery award for that, fire dept stood and watched.

31 minutes ago, zoso said:

sank ass end of the 69 ski whiz when I was seven on lake simcoe near the shore. Sank a 78 motoski in the canal at lagoon city, 2 others went in as we were all parked there. Have not gone swimming myself but 3 of four of us did on grass lake west guilford when my buds gf had a mental breakdown and drove one intentionally into open water where the river flows in. Getting her out caused my wife and buddy to go in , we got everyone out. Tied a rope to buddy after he was already wet and he ran to the edge breaking through and saved his gf just as she was letting go of edge and going under, she was in for over 1/2 an hour. He received a bravery award for that, fire dept stood and watched.

Holly crap!!!