Snowmobile Trail Closures and Problems

Turbo Doo

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

All yah can hope for is snow and cold locally.  Pretty much sums it up. Time to resurrect the old hobby possibly.  :wtf:.. 

yeah not much cold since 2017, when we had a polar vortex on family day long weekend. Not much snow in southern Ontario since 2014 winter. That year we had 10 weeks of riding. Sad, 6 bad years in a row in south. Somthing is changing for sure. Starting from zero in feb isn’t un usual around here. Maybe we can get a handful of weeks yet. 

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

blatantly false and illegal

Well, they are a private business and can close it to whomever they want, they should have just said they are choosing to do that.

That said, you can freely move around in Ontario - the "Region of Muskoka" can not close it's pretend border to anyone from a different PHU regardless of if they say they are/can - it's not legal, period.

4 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Well, they are a private business and can close it to whomever they want, they should have just said they are choosing to do that.

That said, you can freely move around in Ontario - the "Region of Muskoka" can not close it's pretend border to anyone from a different PHU regardless of if they say they are/can - it's not legal, period.

i agree they can choose whomever they want but they cannot use those reasons. But no one is going to mount a constitutional challenge over riding a sled

28 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

i agree they can choose whomever they want but they cannot use those reasons. But no one is going to mount a constitutional challenge over riding a sled

Agreed, move on, ride the trails you bought a pass for and enjoy yourself.

42 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

On their Facebook page when questioned about  the Haliburton County only,  they replied with the following "Nope the OPP where very specific that they have to be from Haliburton County."

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

30 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

The Haliburton Forest can be selective who they will allow in and are not obligated to provide a reason. They can just do it. Just like when a kid asks their parents why and the answer is because.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I received a call from the OPP yesterday , they wanted to know if our club was planning any poker runs or other gatherings this season!
They wanted to know so they would have enough resources (boots on the ground) to enforce social distancing and other lockdown measures!

I advised them that we have no events planned for this season.
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

They wanted to know so they would have enough resources (boots on the ground) to enforce social distancing and other lockdown measures!

Be nice if they did this even without covid 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The Haliburton Forest can be selective who they will allow in and are not obligated to provide a reason. They can just do it. Just like when a kid asks their parents why and the answer is because.

Sure they can be selective.

Lets see how selective they are when they have hardly any riders in for a weekend are trying to keep the facilities and a restaurant open.

Who would be booking cabins?  Not likely locals.

Boycott!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Be nice if they did this even without covid 

I ref that in another thread.....one of teh pro's without a doubt, increase enforcement on the trails for the things many have complained about. 

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Lets see how selective they are when they have hardly any riders in for a weekend are trying to keep the facilities and a restaurant open.

Boycott!

I'm sure they have been given bad advice by the OPP whom they said told  them that they (meaning riders) have to be from Haliburton County. Lets not try to destroy their business because of that. 

6 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Edited by zoso

51 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm sure they have been given bad advice by the OPP whom they said told  them that they (meaning riders) have to be from Haliburton County. Lets not try to destroy their business because of that. 

That is the right, the government is already doing a totally awesome job of that for so many.....:headbang:

Ya I know, this is a "rant of the day" kind of comment.....:baghead:...shoot me....:icon_gunhead:

19 hours ago, Sksman said:

Boycott!

I do think they are trying to follow the spirt of what the province wants/needs but doesn't want to go whole hog on enforcement and punishment.

Stay home really means don't travel outside your PHU.

I live in the Grey Bruce PHU and have curtailed my travels so I don't go outside the region.

Heading to Haliburton forest was brought up in my snowmobiling group before the emergency declaration.

That is now off the table.

Good on them for putting health before profit, and I've been there a few times, both summer and winter.

I'll go again when this S storm is over.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sksman said:

Boycott!

I don’t think that it really matters to the guy who owns it.   I have been told by a few locals that the owner is worth in the tens of millions of $.    

8 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I don’t think that it really matters to the guy who owns it.   I have been told by a few locals that the owner is worth in the tens of millions of $.    

Prob. hundreds=Schliefenbaum descended from German royalty-really old $!

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

That is true.  

I know they have lots of cash behind the scenes.   

They buy up big land tracts in the area.  The land where the Forest snowmobile trails run is probably less then half of what they have.

If you ride out Of the Forest on East road and take the OFSC trails up the hydro line towards Whitney you will be travelling on HF property a fair bit if not all way to Algonquin park boundary.  They bought up all the property containing Coburn and Beanpole And Possibly more.  These lakes are off side trails along the south side of the hydroline towards Whitney before the Algonquin Park.  

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

That is true.  

I know they have lots of cash behind the scenes.   

They buy up big land tracts in the area.  The land where the Forest snowmobile trails run is probably less then half of what they have.

If you ride out Of the Forest on East road and take the OFSC trails up the hydro line towards Whitney you will be travelling on HF property a fair bit if not all way to Algonquin park boundary.  They bought up all the property containing Coburn and Beanpole And Possibly more.  These lakes are off side trails along the south side of the hydroline towards Whitney before the Algonquin Park.  

100,000+ acres! I believe biggest land holding in E. Canuckistan!

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

Logging is main revenue stream there anyways. Recreational side is just a secondary source of income, while they wait for forest to grow back. 

46 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Logging is main revenue stream there anyways. Recreational side is just a secondary source of income, while they wait for forest to grow back. 

https://financialpost.com/news/haliburton-forests-peter-schleifenbaum-is-a-modern-lumber-baron-but-hardly-typical

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Hmm, a change of mind?. Wonder what happened?. 

Screenshot_20210116-125535_Samsung Internet.jpg

I thought I read that they did what they did due to not knowing what the line was, seeing as it was very hazy......so erroring on the side of caution.

Sounds like they now know where the line is drawn, which is people can ride from outside that health district, but recommended not too.

People still need to take the required precautions given the atmosphere we are currently "living" in.....so we can ALL continue to enjoy our awesome sport!

37 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Read that a few weeks when someone posted it.

Must say, very interesting.

Going against the grain with his old German way of forest management.....that seems to work.

9 minutes ago, stoney said:

I thought I read that they did what they did due to not knowing what the line was, seeing as it was very hazy......so erroring on the side of caution.

Sounds like they now know where the line is drawn, which is people can ride from outside that health district, but recommended not too.

People still need to take the required precautions given the atmosphere we are currently "living" in.....so we can ALL continue to enjoy our awesome sport!

You are correct Stoney. If you have Facebook you can search for their page and follow the posts. They did what the OPP told them they had to do and then went looking to find the updated information and answers to there questions. Sounds like they found out the OPP were wrong in what they told the Forest people.

• Like 1