Snowmobile Trail Closures and Problems

Turbo Doo

I better back off with a 750.00 fine when the depreciation and all my expenses for a season of sledding equals probably 2 weeks  

12 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I think we all can agree we need new riders, young and old. Whether or not they want to ride trails or boondockin in the bush is fine with me as long as everyone does their part by respecting the sport and landowners. Want to ride trails? Wait until they’re open and stay between the stakes. Want to ride in the bush? Go for it! Go in areas where it’s permitted, and if you need to take the trails to get there, buy a pass. 

Yes, the sport does, but the issues lies in the type of people in society, and where we see all the trouble.

Any regions close by with private land and trails will slowly disappear, already has......go further or need to make a greater effort to get to trails will not be affected as much because there is more work involved to get there and that is usually where you see the more diehard riders go that respect the sport more. 

6 hours ago, andreyboater said:

So can you be outside or not? That is a question. If yes, I see no difference between  walk, bicycle or snowmobile... 

4 hours ago, thetorches said:

It says snowmobiling can stay open. It also says you can leave home to exercise and snowmobiling is considered exercise. These rules are so confusing.

As stated, very confusing.....exercise is allowed, sledding is a form of it and an outside activity, so you would think might be okay.

I think someone already said this, but how can you have a stay at home order coming out one side of your mouth and than out the other side state no gathering more than 5 people......I assume while out exercising would be the example that it applies too....

If the OFSC closes the trails, that means they need to pay out next year, for those that actually buy again of course.......so there is incentive for them to keep trails open and my guess is for locals to ride only.

3 hours ago, ecarnell said:

Unfortunately I agree with you Scotty, but honestly do you think sledding the last couple of weeks and the trailering in southern Ontario actually increased / or spread any significant Covid cases?

No way it did, unless people were making stupid decisions while out.

Saw three sledders today on the trails, talked to all of them and at no point were any of us closer than 6 feet....all of us packed a lunch & snacks as well.

• Like 2

There are open trails 1.5 hours from me. I see absolutely no reason I cannot drive to those trails, ride a few hours and return home, not one getting within 100 feet of anyone. But I can go to a store, pick up items place them back on the shelf, have the check out person touch every item that I touched and perhaps others. As if. This lockdown does nothing to stop a virus being spread by asymptomatic people.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, zoso said:

There are open trails 1.5 hours from me. I see absolutely no reason I cannot drive to those trails, ride a few hours and return home, not one getting within 100 feet of anyone. But I can go to a store, pick up items place them back on the shelf, have the check out person touch every item that I touched and perhaps others. As if. This lockdown does nothing to stop a virus being spread by asymptomatic people.

It all makes perfect sense, right......

So many gray area's. Going to be a lot more cases in the already overwhelmed court system very soon.......

2 minutes ago, coolbane said:

Because you know and the rest of us are just stupid?

perhaps you can enlighten us

1 hour ago, stoney said:

If the OFSC closes the trails, that means they need to pay out next year, for those that actually buy again of course.......so there is incentive for them to keep trails open and my guess is for locals to ride only.

This was the fear I had when they did the closed trails between PHU's. They can leave trails open and campaign their "don't travel between PHU's" plan. No pay out for permit buyers.

Everything is politics and dollars these days. Hope the OFSC doesn't prove me right.

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This was the fear I had when they did the closed trails between PHU's. They can leave trails open and campaign their "don't travel between PHU's" plan. No pay out for permit buyers.

Everything is politics and dollars these days. Hope the OFSC doesn't prove me right.

Yeah, but I live in an area with 0km of trails, my sled is in another completely different region, no open trails where my sled is and now a travel ban, so, I can't get to them if they open- my money will be coming back.

56 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I don't remember voting for any of this. 

People holding power don't care.

Just heard from a good source within the industry that the OFSC is seriously considering closing the trails for 28 days.   A final decision will be made this week. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Just heard from a good source within the industry that the OFSC is seriously considering closing the trails for 28 days.   A final decision will be made this week. 

To be honest, I don't see them doing anything but - it's the easiest solution for them to manage and they would be towing the communication line and heavy hand of the government, no business wants to be the "one" to go against that messaging. 

It's done guys

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

So would you have voted for a widespread unchecked uncontrolled virus that kills a lot of people?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

So would you have voted for a widespread unchecked uncontrolled virus that kills a lot of people?

yes - and for the record, they have NO idea how many it's killed.

Good luck "controlling" it - it's out of control and will be in control when you quit thinking and talking about it - poof - gone!

2 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

yes - and for the record, they have NO idea how many it's killed.

Good luck "controlling" it - it's out of control and will be in control when you quit thinking and talking about it - poof - gone!

If you say so... lol

2 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If you say so... lol

You're an educated man - read what ** says and let that sink in.

Number of active cases – 1,029
Number of total cases* - 7,562
Change from previous posting (cases) - +88
Number of deaths** – 206 (3%)
Change from previous posting (deaths) - +4

Number of cases resolved – 6,079 (80%)
Number of cases ever hospitalized - 501 (7%)
Weekly rate of new cases per 100,000 population – 148
Reproduction number1 (Jan 7, 2020) - 1.16
6% of COVID-19 tests within the past 7 days had a positive result2

*Total cases include both confirmed and probable cases.
**This measure refers to the number of COVID-19 cases who died. Deaths are included whether or not COVID-19 was determined to be a contributing or underlying cause of death.

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

I don't see where they have any other option. Grooming can't be considered essential and without grooming they have no control over the conditions.

So if skating rinks (and I suspect Zamboni’s will be running?) are open and limited to 25 people - would groomers not also be operating to maintain trails as snowmobiling is approved activity?

asking for a friend.

5 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Please let your local MPP know this.

https://www.ola.org/en/members/current

37 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

So if skating rinks (and I suspect Zamboni’s will be running?) are open and limited to 25 people - would groomers not also be operating to maintain trails as snowmobiling is approved activity?

asking for a friend.

Now you are making too much sense - we here in Ontario do not use that, highly overrated.....:coffeenose:

1 hour ago, ecarnell said:

asking for a friend.

I was hoping for local trails in every area of province to stay open. Reality is many don’t stay in thier own health region. Too slow said he seen 50 trucks and trailers last weekend in mount forest.same thing fenelon and kinmount way too.  It’s a shame but I think ofsc is going to close them, so people stay home. 

1 hour ago, ecarnell said:

asking for a friend.

Now use that same arguement for ski hills......except ski hills ( despite it being excercise)  were told to close because it involves people traveling to location. ........I think sadly the writing is on the wall for OFSC trails. 

43 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I was hoping for local trails in every area of province to stay open. Reality is many don’t stay in thier own health region. Too slow said he seen 50 trucks and trailers last weekend in mount forest.same thing fenelon and kinmount way too.  It’s a shame but I think ofsc is going to close them, so people stay home. 

Yes , but the province has made a conscious decision to include snowmobiling as acceptable , unlike downhill skiing for example.

they must have used some sense in thinking that the number of sledders and large groups together is minimal with restaurants indoor seating closed, minimal contact at gas stations/tap n go, etc.

will help keep economy going somewhat and mental health of some , with minimal risk.....

ps the 50 trucks is nothing compared to Blue mountain parking lot every weekend - and 50% their aren’t skiing it seems these days!

fingers crossed.

• Like 1