Snowmobile Trail Closures and Problems

Turbo Doo

Regarding the STOP program ending when OPP took on more or I guess all of the enforcement - what was the back ground on this?

All I think I heard was the OPP did not want both, but there has to be more to it than the OPP stating they do not want something for it to be squashed?

Does the OFSC currently push the OPP for greater enforcement, if the OPP cannot provide a level that is satisfactory, is the option to reinstate the STOP program discussed?

This is of course assuming there are folks that want to fulfill the STOP role.

Just curious given the discussion going on.

45 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Some great examples above from Quebec as I pointed out an example of how Temiscaming QC Club operates in scheduling Trail Patrol enforcement.

A crackdown is needed for a year or two to get freeloaders off the OFSC trails.

I just cannot get over some people with $15-20,000 sleds, trailers, etc. refusing to buy a $300 permit.

Is the Quebec Trail Patrol compensated in some way. You are likely aware of how hard it is to get volunteers for the clubs. My experience is it's even harder to get people to volunteer for Trail Patrol. I've had conversations with people where they ask if the sled I was on was what they supply for Trail Patrol, do I get reimbursed for my gas expense and why would I give up seat time to do Trail Patrol.

Many local volunteers are discouraged by lack of enforcement.

It's a chicken and egg thing.

Imagine spending time brushing, cleaning, signing, staking and schmoozing to get a trail,  and then losing it over one A-hole, and there's not a damn thing you can do. 

Even reported trespassers are not followed up on.

Hardly an activity you'd find many people lining up for. Martyrs maybe.

Give them some teeth, and a chance to protect their club's investment, and see what happens to volunteerism.

Or, just keep up the status quo. 

• Thanks 2

A couple of observations about Quebec from my experiences there last year.

Quebec season permit holders all flinch when someone in group has an aftermarket exhaust.  6 guys with season passes all gave negative review of trail can on one Ontario guys sled.

Quebec season pass guys were all happy to have Ontario riders in group for free weekend.

Quebec season pass guys expected the can rider to get a $1,000 fine and a tow truck ride off trail.   We went through 4 spot checks on Saturday of free weekend and we were all waved through on a slow crawl as they checked our sleds for mirrors.   Guy with can was lucky to make it through.  At every spotcheck we saw 3 or 4 sleds getting full inspection.  

Free weekend is huge for tourism.   In Mont Laurier on Saturday morning the skidoo dealer had a line up of 25 to 30 people buying gear like handlebar muffs and heavier cold weather gear.

Big question is if free weekend works in Quebec and is a huge success there every year why is it a fail in Ontario?

4 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Big question is if free weekend works in Quebec and is a huge success there every year why is it a fail in Ontario?

How many people you know that live in QC that plan a trip to ON

How many people you know that live in ON that plan a trip in QC

I know a few people in QC, all through work and none of them have ever talked or mentioned to come here to ride.

One guy brings his kids to Ontario each year in the summer so his kids & him can ride dirt bikes with an org that uses the Ganny for this, rent dirt bikes, training, etc..... I mentioned to him this past year that I find it very odd to see Quebec folks come to ON for this sort of stuff, he laughed and stated he cannot find a group in QC that offers the same things so he comes here.

Look at the people on here that ride in QC with mostly positive reviews.....some even talk about only buying a QC pass even though they live here.

I assume QC sees an increase in sales or they just see the value in tourist dollars.

ON never saw permit increase (AFAIK) with the program, just a weekend that usually had mild temps and the trails got trashed for all the buying members or those same members would avoid riding that weekend, that makes perfect sense.....:headbang:

• Thanks 2

This appeared on the Rice Lake Snow Drifter Facebook page today Jan 3rd 2021. 

We have been asked by Hiawatha First Nation businesses, more specifically the Old Railroad Stop & Restaurant to kindly respect the additional measures that Hiawatha First Nation has put in place in addition to the recent lockdown issued by the province. As of Sunday, December 26th, The Old Railroad Stop & Restaurant is now only open to Hiawatha citizens and will be closed to the public until at least the end of the lockdown period which is January 23rd 2021. This includes the closure of their smoke shops & all other businesses on Hiawatha First Nation. If you come to any of these businesses service will be refused.
Hiawatha First Nation has gladly served snowmobilers for many years but the circumstances we find ourselves in are beyond their control. PLEASE RESPECT THEIR REQUEST AND FIND AN ALTERNATE LOCATION FOR GAS AND FOOD.
This section of the Hiawatha trail will remain gated and closed. No grooming operations will take place. Please refer to the Interactive Trail Guide for trails that are open for snowmobilers.
We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 4:56 PM, stoney said:

I have no first hand experience with this, but I hear the penalties for those not willing to follow the rules are dealt with more harshly:

• no permit, pay double upon being caught
  • illegal exhaust, sled is towed (this is something that I have read - not sure how true it is)

Some gas merchants also check for permit before providing gas

QC also does tourism so much better - has anyone ever called them to request info/literature, the response is really good

I thought as an out of province person, you could receive $40.00 back on the insurance - I think there was a thread or that was mentioned here somewhere.

QC does have their issues, I recall when we rode to Tremblant, there were no trails leading anywhere near it, they did not want sled there, so I assume there must have been some bad situations in the past.

Just saw a member here that is a volunteer looking to buy a trail can on that 705 page on Facebook. When volunteers are looking for cans this sport is done.

• Like 1

Just read on the 705 Facebook page someone stealing gas caps from sleds in Mattawa.  More stuff to be concerned about. I waiting until this lockdown is over before riding on an overnight trip. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:
Wow! I guess they are taking it seriously and blocking outsiders.

Edited by barberch

1 minute ago, grover_yyz said:

Just read on the 705 Facebook page someone stealing gas caps from sleds in Mattawa.  More stuff to be concerned about. I waiting until this lockdown is over before riding on an overnight trip. 

Just stay out of town. Morons in bc were vandalizing cars with Alberta plates last year, many had moved back after losing their oil jobs and had not changed the plates. Lunacy by the brainwashed fearful sheep.

Looking on Kijiji this morning and in first 2 pages of adds there was 7 or 8 brand new long track deep paddle machines advertised from one Artic Cat dealer alone.   

5 hours ago, Sksman said:

Looking on Kijiji this morning and in first 2 pages of adds there was 7 or 8 brand new long track deep paddle machines advertised from one Artic Cat dealer alone.   

Probably all they have left to sell - forced to take units.

In any event, the issue the hobby faces is that it needs youth and new riders to sustain itself, young riders are not necessarily sold on flat land, 50 km/hr limited trail riding only when they are investing 10-20k on toys that they want to ride.

Its a tough situation and there is no easy solution.

In a perfect world, kids would be interested in groomed trail riding only, but I just don't think that is realistic.

I watched Snowmobiler TV last night - 20 minutes was dedicated to back country riding in Quebec, which looked fantastic btw! :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Probably all they have left to sell - forced to take units.

In any event, the issue the hobby faces is that it needs youth and new riders to sustain itself, young riders are not necessarily sold on flat land, 50 km/hr limited trail riding only when they are investing 10-20k on toys that they want to ride.

Its a tough situation and there is no easy solution.

In a perfect world, kids would be interested in groomed trail riding only, but I just don't think that is realistic.

I watched Snowmobiler TV last night - 20 minutes was dedicated to back country riding in Quebec, which looked fantastic btw! :)

I used to love going ice fishing into little back lakes. Spend days riding around old skider trails and seasonal goat paths to fish.  Was a pile of fun.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:49 PM, Sksman said:

I used to love going ice fishing into little back lakes. Spend days riding around old skider trails and seasonal goat paths to fish.  Was a pile of fun.

IF it wasn't for logging accessroads and trails/fields around here I'd have 0 Km for this year.    I'm now up to 200 for the year.

21 hours ago, SRXChris said:

IF it wasn't for logging accessroads and trails/fields around here I'd have 0 Km for this year.    I'm now up to 200 for the year.

Exactly 200 more than me.

13 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

On a side note, did Sno Voyagers club, get renamed. I thought it was Barrie Snow Voyagers Snowmobile Club?. And i see theres a Barrie Snowmobile Club. Has this always been, or?. 

No we haven't renamed the club or anything. 

I think we all can agree we need new riders, young and old. Whether or not they want to ride trails or boondockin in the bush is fine with me as long as everyone does their part by respecting the sport and landowners. Want to ride trails? Wait until they’re open and stay between the stakes. Want to ride in the bush? Go for it! Go in areas where it’s permitted, and if you need to take the trails to get there, buy a pass. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1