Snowmobile Trail Closures and Problems

Turbo Doo

24 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You cannot buy a pass for somebody else. The pass has to be connected to a sled you have registered on the OFSC site.

What about the gift card option (I think that is what it is called when you are getting a new sled with no VIN yet)?

Other option is gift cards, really easy way to show gratitude and leaves the option of what to get, up to the person you give it too.......or a re-gift option on their part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Unfortunately it would become known to others and suddenly every landowner would want the same free permit or permits or something else of equivalent value if they weren't snowmobilers. I could be mistaken but I believe there are other legal implications particularly regarding liability and the insurance as soon as the landowner accepts payment for the trail crossing their property. I believe it opens the landowner to increased liability.

Absolutely correct 02.  The Occupiers Liability Act provides for a different (lower) standard of care where “no fee has been charged”.  It basically eliminates liability for the occupier provided they have not knowingly created a hazard vs the standard in common law requiring the occupier to keep people safe.

The question of free permits is very complicated.  Has anybody ever read the terms and conditions that accompany the purchase transaction. It’s a complex legal transaction that protects the club/district/OFSC/ and volunteers and landowners. How would you propose to have the permit recipient acknowledge those terms and conditions if the club was providing free permits. The gift card is a method of payment only. The purchaser still has to acknowledge the tac.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Unfortunately it would become known to others and suddenly every landowner would want the same free permit or permits or something else of equivalent value if they weren't snowmobilers. I could be mistaken but I believe there are other legal implications particularly regarding liability and the insurance as soon as the landowner accepts payment for the trail crossing their property. I believe it opens the landowner to increased liability.

Edited by Spiderman

13 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Surprised people don’t act more responsibly 

Not going to happen. Local club puts up signs saying wheat field and there are a million tracks across it. Baden subdivision is a huge problem on its own. Lots of people own sleds snd think back yard behind there house is a huge play ground. 
We lost a nearby trail years ago because sledders wouldn’t stay out of gravel pit, where trail past. 

Just a question, I’m sure this has been brought up before, maybe not though...what about getting all sledders to write a simple test? Must pass before you get your season pass. I know there will always be those few bad apples ruining it for everyone, there always has been, but do we think educating people would help? Just throwing an idea out there. 

How much would it cost to implement a test? Would it even help? Something needs to be done before we lose more trails.

I think Ive seen about 5-6 permanent trail closures so far this year and it’s extremely frustrating. We’re all a good bunch here, I’m sure we can all put our heads together and think of something, no?

Edited by Baylaker
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Just a question, I’m sure this has been brought up before, maybe not though...what about getting all sledders to write a simple test? Must pass before you get your season pass. I know there will always be those few bad apples ruining it for everyone, there always has been, but do we think educating people would help? Just throwing an idea out there. 

How much would it cost to implement a test? Would it even help? Something needs to be done before we lose more trails.

I think Ive seen about 5-6 permanent trail closures so far this year and it’s extremely frustrating. We’re all a good bunch here, I’m sure we can all put our heads together and think of something, no?

Great idea. Although passing a test sure doesn't help a majority of drivers out there on the roads.  I agree,  education is something we need more of, but people need the want to learn also. Yesterday when we were out for a few hours for a shake down run, i stopped counting how many sleds that had 'cans' on them, and no permits. Very frustrating indeed..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Interesting idea, but I think more for simply educating people that really do not know how the trails actually get there, steps taken, what is done that causes trails to close, etc.....that might put things into a different light for those.

People that do some of the things you see or read about will not stop, some people really do not give two $hits about a lot of things and have a few screws loose......:headbang:

If the police have put any thought yet into the significant increase in outdoor activities or the crazy sales happening, they would know this will be a record year for fines to the people with no trail pass, Ins, etc.....

Should be easy pickings based on what you hear so far.

• Like 1

I volunteer my time, sometimes my personal equipment and money, my buddies do as well and I’m sure many of you on this forum do as well...what can we all do to try and limit the amount of trespassing? Are we all just going to sit back and let the sport die off because of these “entitled” or whatever you would like to call them, ruin our sport that all the volunteers work so hard for. 

I know better & more enforcement would help. Huge fines, sled impounding etc. But let’s not count on that.

how do we do it without enforcement? 

I have no problem calling people out on there stupidity.

lord knows people have called me out on mine. 

But one thing i would not do is disrespect others property and belongings.

i for one would like to see people start publicly shaming the idiots that are running off trails in this sport.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I volunteer my time, sometimes my personal equipment and money, my buddies do as well and I’m sure many of you on this forum do as well...what can we all do to try and limit the amount of trespassing? Are we all just going to sit back and let the sport die off because of these “entitled” or whatever you would like to call them, ruin our sport that all the volunteers work so hard for. 

I know better & more enforcement would help. Huge fines, sled impounding etc. But let’s not count on that.

That is ultimately the million dollar question baylaker...

• Like 1

All parties involved in the snowmobiling game need to take better action and create awareness.  

sled manufacturers

sled dealers

sled riders

sled clubs 

this year is a tough year with Covic and no sled shows for promotion but I truly believe the Sled manufacturers and dealers need to step up to better the sport!  

lncrease awareness and promote positive experience for all.  

why does all the sled dealers in GTA have 155 and 163 track length machines in inventory?

I was told manufacturers force them to take full line.  But it only promotes off trail riding in areas with limited off trail areas 

And the aftermarket part manufacturers also need to be promoting proper riding rules and etiquettes 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

The trail crosses the road way 1000' down the road from my home,  twice now when I am driving by and see a sled when the trail is closed I stop pull out my phone and get a picture of the sled license plate, try and talk to the individual and lecture them if they haven't left. Getting a picture of the license number usually freaks the person out and they screw off, they know they shouldn't be on the trail. One time I got so pissed off at the young punks mouthing back at me I threated to call the cops pretending I am the landowner. I would have liked to have grabbed the keys from his sled and thrown them in the bush but I would most likely have gotten in trouble or else beat up.  I have no problems parking my truck at the trail entrance blocking the trail , enjoy my coffee and wait for someone to come by to give them a piece of my mind. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

There are too many now that have no respect for anything or anybody but themselves. thats terrible and disgusting what some of them will do and think nothing of it.

Unfortunately i don't see enforcement getting any better simply because of the high cost of it here. But i think big fines , loss of sled for a while might help. and our volumteers shouldn't have to patrol this either . they do enough to keep the trails open

9 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Aaaaand more. Grrrrr

D5F31E62-B518-4310-A8AA-2C7C21C3AD09.jpeg

Unbelievable.. this will never end.. today the Seguin west of bear lake had high traffic.. isn’t it red and still closed.. I think people like this are in there little own world.

I could here there 2 smoke cans resonating from Km’s away.. 

I have seen in other area's then Muskoka, Trail Wardens (orange vests) which patrol the trails, they were stopping sleds and looking to see if you have a trail pass, back in those days he could probably have sold you a pass there on the spot,  they could do nothing now a days other then lecture. 

53 minutes ago, Sksman said:

All parties involved in the snowmobiling game need to take better action and create awareness.  

sled manufacturers

sled dealers

sled riders

sled clubs 

this year is a tough year with Covic and no sled shows for promotion but I truly believe the Sled manufacturers and dealers need to step up to better the sport!  

lncrease awareness and promote positive experience for all.  

why does all the sled dealers in GTA have 155 and 163 track length machines in inventory?

I was told manufacturers force them to take full line.  But it only promotes off trail riding in areas with limited off trail areas 

And the aftermarket part manufacturers also need to be promoting proper riding rules and etiquettes 

Well said..:right_on:

54 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

I have seen in other area's then Muskoka, Trail Wardens (orange vests) which patrol the trails, they were stopping sleds and looking to see if you have a trail pass, back in those days he could probably have sold you a pass there on the spot,  they could do nothing now a days other then lecture. 

That’s what i done, in one season i sold 7 passes, 

also found a dozen more running that had permits but didn’t stick them on their sleds