Snowmobile Trail Closures and Problems

Turbo Doo

I think he still is but bought and fixed up a home/cottage near Coboconk a few years ago.......which I assume they still have and use for winter/summer activities.

Edited by stoney
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Agreed on the lack of enforcement. I put on 5713kms last year all over the province and Quebec and saw ZERO enforcement. Not 1 

The only place I see Police regularly is on highway between Kinmount and Haliburton. 

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Doing what?

Not unusual to see them there, on the roads where the trails crosses over it.

Trails is open.

Permits, pipes, registration, insurance.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Agreed on the lack of enforcement. I put on 5713kms last year all over the province and Quebec and saw ZERO enforcement. Not 1 

Come to Kearney i'll guarantee you'll see the OPP.I get stopped almost weekly on the sled.Got stopped twice, two days in a row for a RIDE program in Kearnrey this summer.

4 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Was in Kearny quite a few times last year and never saw them, Used to see them all the time between Kearny and Hwy 11

That is where they usually are.The worst was about 5years ago. I got stopped three times heading to Parry Sound one day.

Since the sprucedale motel closed I’ve noticed less enforcement around the sequin. Between bear lake and sprucedale was a hot spot for radar.

41 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

That is where they usually are.The worst was about 5years ago. I got stopped three times heading to Parry Sound one day.

4 years ago from Bancroft to Pembroke my wife and I hit 2 ride programs. 
-HWY at 62 & 28

-Just before Whitney

Then stopped when we were pulled over at blow belt alley heading into Pembroke as I was changing over the belt on the wife’s sled. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Muskoka Bill said:

I definitely feel for the landowners, my neighbor owns the 2300 acres which D trail passes through (which is the only trail north from Bracebridge) , without that trail being open would mean the end of snowmobiling in the area. Each year he is surprised and annoyed that the OFSC won't give him a season pass as a thank you gesture, one day he will just say F you and that will be it. I realize there is most likely a legal problem with a trail pass "gift" for landowners and where do you stop. I have talked to the local club and their hands are tied when it comes to gifting passes. That will be the year that I personally buy him a permit for his work snowmobile  and hopefully he will change his mind. He gets pissed when he see's what people do to his land, leaving garbage, going off trail, noise and breaking down his gates. Back in 2016 he was one of many land owners that revoked rights due to the misunderstanding of the provincial trail's act changes so he will do it again regretfully, despite what the it means to snowmobiling and the economic impact to Bracebridge.  We were lucky to get the trail back in 2017. Each year I buy him a big bottle of his favorite  as a thank you for being a great neighbor and fellow snowmobiler. 

Is there any particular reason people can't just toss him $50.00 bucks each and let him buy it?

Who needs to know where the "cash" came from?

4 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Come to Kearney i'll guarantee you'll see the OPP.I get stopped almost weekly on the sled.Got stopped twice, two days in a row for a RIDE program in Kearnrey this summer.

I don’t doubt that one bit!! I love Kearney!! Been going there for years to a family camp on on fox lake. We use to go In there like renegades back in the day!! (Every season). Man those days were so friggen awesome!!.... anymore I’m so tense driving In and around there... been stopped only a few times of recent but sure puts a scour on ones face!!... don’t get me wrong... I understand how things go but.... wow how the times have changed Over the years!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Is there any particular reason people can't just toss him $50.00 bucks each and let him buy it?

Who needs to know where the "cash" came from?

It is not that he can't afford a pass, I believe it is the principle of the deal, he gives the OFSC the right to use his property each year and in exchange he gets nothing in return except frustration. I am sure many land owners feel that way. He does get some satisfaction from knowing that he is contributing to the local economy but that is about it. The local club use to run an event as a  thank you to land owners , but I understand it was not well attended. Time will tell, I see that the local club has been out surveying the summer damage and packing the trails the last few days so that is great news, just hope the "entitled" don't start running the closed trails. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

It is not that he can't afford a pass, I believe it is the principle of the deal, he gives the OFSC the right to use his property each year and in exchange he gets nothing in return except frustration. I am sure many land owners feel that way. He does get some satisfaction from knowing that he is contributing to the local economy but that is about it. The local club use to run an event as a  thank you to land owners , but I understand it was not well attended. Time will tell, I see that the local club has been out surveying the summer damage and packing the trails the last few days so that is great news, just hope the "entitled" don't start running the closed trails. 

Many clubs have done landowner events and different types of appreciation in past years and may still do so. Handing landowners a free permit is impossible as the permits are regulated by the Ministry of Transportation (they don't allow anything to be free LOL) and with the advent of online permit purchasing tied to a particular snowmobile the owner has to buy the permit. 

I believe I am correct in stating that the individual Districts are able to make some amount of funds available for Landowner appreciation.

• Thanks 2

Clubs in south ran into same thing, years ago. Landowners wanted free permits to keep trail on property. Doesn’t sound like much compared to crop damage and yahoo’s

that go all Over place on their property. I know one club lost trail when they denied request for two permits from land owner. Even if club used fundraiser money word would get around fast and every land owner that has or know’s someone with a sled will want a free permit or two. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Clubs in south ran into same thing, years ago. Landowners wanted free permits to keep trail on property. Doesn’t sound like much compared to crop damage and yahoo’s

that go all Over place on their property. I know one club lost trail when they denied request for two permits from land owner. Even if club used fundraiser money word would get around fast and every land owner that has or know’s someone with a sled will want a free permit or two. 

Many clubs reimburse landowners for crop damage and have done so for years including I'm sure the clubs local to you.

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Many clubs have done landowner events and different types of appreciation in past years and may still do so. Handing landowners a free permit is impossible as the permits are regulated by the Ministry of Transportation (they don't allow anything to be free LOL) and with the advent of online permit purchasing tied to a particular snowmobile the owner has to buy the permit. 

I believe I am correct in stating that the individual Districts are able to make some amount of funds available for Landowner appreciation.

We used to take land owners out for a cruise on the Lady Muskoka but the turnouts turned down-need another idea!

1 minute ago, Muskoka1 said:

We used to take land owners out for a cruise on the Lady Muskoka but the turnouts turned down-need another idea!

We give Landowners a pair of good work gloves. Their seem to be much appreciated  in our highly agricultural area. I had one gentleman who was wearing a pair previously given to him tell me that they were the warmest work gloves he had ever worn.

• Like 3

The gift of work gloves was a nice touch, when the trail crossed our land. Lasting memory - you think of OFSC when wearing them ( nice branding on the top of them ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muskoka Bill said:

I totally get it, and actually think landowners should get a pass, all I am saying is there is another way to skin the cat, quietly purchase the pass for him as a group and give it to him, nobody needs to know the how or whys.

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I totally get it, and actually think landowners should get a pass, all I am saying is there is another way to skin the cat, quietly purchase the pass for him as a group and give it to him, nobody needs to know the how or whys.

Unfortunately it would become known to others and suddenly every landowner would want the same free permit or permits or something else of equivalent value if they weren't snowmobilers. I could be mistaken but I believe there are other legal implications particularly regarding liability and the insurance as soon as the landowner accepts payment for the trail crossing their property. I believe it opens the landowner to increased liability.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

You cannot buy a pass for somebody else. The pass has to be connected to a sled you have registered on the OFSC site.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

You would have to give him the cash. You can't buy a pass for someone else. 

I rode on Tuesday on my local trails around Stayner/Wasaga/Collingwood area. The trail crosses my dirt road roughly 500' from the edge of my property, and actually runs around the edge of my field to the next concession road north of me, but it is currently still closed. Instead of hopping on it anyways, I rode passed the the trail (and all of the tracks that were on it) and rode the shoulder of a main paved road for 5kms to where the trail was open. It sucked, but it's the right thing to do. And I am on a "long track" sled, and STILL don't trespass and rip up every farmers field or ride on closed trails! And I don't have an obnoxious exhaust either!

If my 2.5" paddle track can ride almost bare roads to get to open trails if you wanna ride that bad... than so can everyone elses "trail sleds".

Edited by Basketcase
  • Like 2