Snowmobile Trail Closures and Problems

Turbo Doo

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Stay away from 705 Snowmobiles Jeff.... Unfortunately the sport seems to attract a lot of residents that seem to swim in the shallow end of the gene pool. 

Someone was moaning about the trails not being open. I passed a bullrush filled ditch east of Cardiff. It looked far from ready to be open just because there is snow up here. These clowns would be the 1st to go after the club or OFSC after they take out a stump.

705 Snowmobiles..:rotflmao:

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

While i am choosing to be neutral on the topic of To travel or not To Travel during the lockdown, it would be interesting to hear from the business owners.  Our first trip north is booked for after the lockdown,  so time will tell...

Not up north but in Parry Sound, most restaurant log books have been largely from the 519,416 area codes all summer/fall.  The biggest complaint that i have heard is not from the visits from the city people, but the attitude that some of them bring.  Its been a hard year for all restaurants and the wait staff, and i think they are fed up with the crap.   All the locals here seem to understand that we want the business, but it does come at a risk.    Some restaurants would have rather stayed open for take out with all the travelers, and some are doing that like the Duck Rock Restaurant in my home town Dunchurch.

I definitely feel for the landowners, my neighbor owns the 2300 acres which D trail passes through (which is the only trail north from Bracebridge) , without that trail being open would mean the end of snowmobiling in the area. Each year he is surprised and annoyed that the OFSC won't give him a season pass as a thank you gesture, one day he will just say F you and that will be it. I realize there is most likely a legal problem with a trail pass "gift" for landowners and where do you stop. I have talked to the local club and their hands are tied when it comes to gifting passes. That will be the year that I personally buy him a permit for his work snowmobile  and hopefully he will change his mind. He gets pissed when he see's what people do to his land, leaving garbage, going off trail, noise and breaking down his gates. Back in 2016 he was one of many land owners that revoked rights due to the misunderstanding of the provincial trail's act changes so he will do it again regretfully, despite what the it means to snowmobiling and the economic impact to Bracebridge.  We were lucky to get the trail back in 2017. Each year I buy him a big bottle of his favorite  as a thank you for being a great neighbor and fellow snowmobiler. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

I read a post on FB from scottyR saying he had spoke with Brian and Kathy at Westway. Their response was that they are honouring reservations prior to lockdown but not taking any new bookings from us “southerners” until the lockdown in the north is over. Taking a lot of heat from locals on the issue apparently 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iangj said:

Residents in Cochrane are upset that people from outside the region are in the area for snowmobiling:

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2109099

The MPP seemed to approach the issue very sensibly vs. a very closed mind.

As the video ended it sounded like you could hear a sled in the back ground with a nice can on it too.....

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Tons of stuff on Facebook right now is nothing more than bullshit being posted to upset the Karens of the world.

These people get off on the over reaction and tons of people fall for it. If people stopped reacting, it would go away but that won't happen so........

Yep, there are the folks that are doing this stuff, that are likely not advertising it and then the ones that are, are just doing it for the reaction.....hook, line and sinker :fishing:

As frustrating as it is, stopping either one is not an easy thing and try not to let it ruin your spirit.

Big increase in the number of sledders, Big snow drought, "pandemic" restrictions.....

Same level of enforcement as last year, 

According to the provincial officers I spoke to last year, 2 sleds (one patrol) in all of District 1. 

Ottawa, 2 sleds, (one patrol).

There's a reason rules and laws are ignored.

Virtually zero enforcement.

11 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Agreed on the lack of enforcement. I put on 5713kms last year all over the province and Quebec and saw ZERO enforcement. Not 1 

I belong to the 50yr club.I have been stopped for papers twice in that time. All regions of Ontario and Kbec.But I haven't rode on weekends in years.The groomer can be an effective tool for enforcement on tight trails.LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I heard the OPP were sitting on the trail in Kin Mount yesterday.

Doing what?

Not unusual to see them there, on the roads where the trails crosses over it.

Trails is open.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I heard the OPP were sitting on the trail in Kin Mount yesterday.

In kinmount or right outside hailburton village on rail trail? They always like to sit near all stop signs. Easy safe spot to check papers. I have also been stopped in mattawa before river crossing coming into town. One officer on north trail and one on other side of river too, in police cars. They already had my sled registration numbers on camera if I decided to do a u turn and go back into bush. Got yeah no matter what you do. 

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Doing what?

Not unusual to see them there, on the roads where the trails crosses over it.

Trails is open.

Checking permits, insurance, exhaust, etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Good. Now did they charge the no trail pass sleds?. And the no insurance?. Etc. 

Some of you may know Rick (Nutter).

Rick said when he checked they had laid 13 charges for Modified Exhaust, 3 No Insurance, 5 No permit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to an OPP in Midland area once. While he watched for all the usual, registration, insurance and trail permit his pet peeve was modified exhaust. He said absolutely no forgiveness for that with him.

I have been checked in this area a couple of times and each time it was a quick drive by based on them seeing the permit as I went by.....and my exhaust was stock sounding, so carry on.

One of the better areas for me when it comes down to do trail side checks.

I think Gravenhurst area has been the worst, and one bad experience in North Bay.....

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

I have been checked in this area a couple of times and each time it was a quick drive by based on them seeing the permit as I went by.....and my exhaust was stock sounding, so carry on.

One of the better areas for me when it comes down to do trail side checks.

I think Gravenhurst area has been the worst, and one bad experience in North Bay.....

Most of the checks I have come across have been the same... slow down... if you weren't obviously speeding drive by with trail permit and val tag visible and OEM sounding exhaust... keep on going when you get a thumbs up. Have one of those missing or a noisy sled, expect to get stopped and everything checked.

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Some of you may know Rick (Nutter).

Rick said when he checked they had laid 13 charges for Modified Exhaust, 3 No Insurance, 5 No permit.

Thats awesome to hear, been stopped there twice.  Never have had a problem,  brother got a speeding ticket though

6 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Thats awesome to hear, been stopped there twice.  Never have had a problem,  brother got a speeding ticket though

Did the group share the fine?!?!?

It is the right thing to do......:icon_steer:

11 minutes ago, stoney said:

Did the group share the fine?!?!?

It is the right thing to do......:icon_steer:

Actually we were about 15 mins ahead of him, he was trying to catch up.

A good brother would have turned around to warn him  :grin:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Actually we were about 15 mins ahead of him, he was trying to catch up.

A good brother would have turned around to warn him  :grin:

That'll teach him to fall behind again!