Cochrane

ecarnell

24 minutes ago, Ox said:

I'd agree with this.

I haven't stayed in Cochran in quite some time, but I think the Chimo was brand new when we stayed there, and that must'a been prox 20 yrs ago.

Must'a been in the summer tho?

It has to be more than 20 years old. I stayed there in 2004 and it was a mess then. Cracks in the block walls, no heat in some of the rooms, the advertised hot tub hadn't worked in ages. etc.

• Haha 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

It has to be more than 20 years old. I stayed there in 2004 and it was a mess then. Cracks in the block walls, no heat in some of the rooms, the advertised hot tub hadn't worked in ages. etc.

We should be thankful of the fact that anyone is willing to make a go of earning an actual living running a place in Cochrane for people to stay......without their insanity, we could not fulfil our own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IDK?

Down here, you can search property info online at the county auditor's website.

Maybe similar up there?

Maybe I am cornfusing it with another Chimo elsewhere?

This is next door to a snowmachine dealer of some flavour eh?

12 minutes ago, Ox said:

IDK?

Down here, you can search property info online at the county auditor's website.

Maybe similar up there?

Maybe I am cornfusing it with another Chimo elsewhere?

This is next door to a snowmachine dealer of some flavour eh?

The Chimo we are talking about, I would think, was built in the 70's or 80's.

17 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

We should be thankful of the fact that anyone is willing to make a go of earning an actual living running a place in Cochrane for people to stay......without their insanity, we could not fulfil our own.

No doubt. A tough place to eek out a living. The Chimo is what it is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

First time we stayed there was in 1997 I  believe and it wasn't new then although the rooms were pretty decent and the restaurant had ggod food.

• Like 1

Long, single level building, next to a Polaris (?) dealer, on the S side of the road, between the North Adventure Inn and town?

Was the dealer maybe brand new aboot that timeline?

Is that what I'm thinking?

8 minutes ago, Ox said:

Long, single level building, next to a Polaris (?) dealer, on the S side of the road, between the North Adventure Inn and town?

Bourques Polaris is just east of the Chimo and I believe there is a construction business (road type) just to the west then the trail. West of the trail is now Expedition Helicopters and I think that is pretty much it on the south side of 11.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ox said:

The more I think about it Ox, I seem to remember a long faded orange steel clad building just west of the Chimo at one time.

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

27 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

First time we stayed there was in 1997 I  believe and it wasn't new then although the rooms were pretty decent and the restaurant had ggod food.

I would agree with both comments. Stayed there in '94 or '95 and it was decent with good restaurant and hot tub, but wasn't new. I guess the tub is gone????

I know that I saw the (a?) Chimo in Cochrane, but I just kan't think when I would have stayed there.

Possibly when we went to Moosonee in the summer of 2001 (?) as I don't recall where we stayed that trip.

Cpl other times we stayed at the NAI.

I wonder if there was a new Chimo that went up beside the Husky out on the hwy near White River in the late 90's?

I think that may be where I am thinking. 

I know that we parked our snowmachines in the service bay at the Husky overnight and stayed in the new motel next door. 

Same owners.

Actually, that may have been '97 even. 

Maybe someone here can verify that?

I looked on the online map for White River Husky, and I remember gassing up there, and then we seen a sign in the winder of the restaurant accrost the hwy advertising all-you-can-eat s'getti, and we seemed to think that was a good idea, so we mozied on over yonder. We both ordered the s'getti and I guess that neither of us had considered that you needed to order the sauce as a side option? B/c this stuff was 95% noodles. 

We ate some, and when we went to head out, we were both feeling awfully tired all of a sudden, and we started eyeing the motel back accrost the hwy, and so we went there and passed out for the night.

I recall the motel being east of the Husky, but -  that's been nigh 25 yrs ago, so I could be gitt'n a bit senile by now....

I see that the motel doesn't say Chimo, but that could have easily changed in that time.

???

Edited by Ox

@Ox, from what the google machine says., the Chimo name, word, means: are you friendly, or friend, in Inuktitut language of northern Canada, also used in some parts of Southern Ontario and Western Canada. if I remember, many motels, resto's had this on their signs. I think the first time we went to Dubreuilville (1997-1998ish) the resturant had this on their sign, and on their ads. I wouldnt doubt, that White River, had a similar sign on a motel, and or resto too. maybe that is what you are referring too? Ski

Edited by skidooboy

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

We ate lunch on our way thru in 2000. I seem to recall reading back in the early years of my trips up there about the hot tub being green.

48 minutes ago, Ox said:

I know that I saw the (a?) Chimo in Cochrane, but I just kan't think when I would have stayed there.

Possibly when we went to Moosonee in the summer of 2001 (?) as I don't recall where we stayed that trip.

Cpl other times we stayed at the NAI.

I wonder if there was a new Chimo that went up beside the Husky out on the hwy near White River in the late 90's?

I think that may be where I am thinking. 

I know that we parked our snowmachines in the service bay at the Husky overnight and stayed in the new motel next door. 

Same owners.

Actually, that may have been '97 even. 

Maybe someone here can verify that?

I looked on the online map for White River Husky, and I remember gassing up there, and then we seen a sign in the winder of the restaurant accrost the hwy advertising all-you-can-eat s'getti, and we seemed to think that was a good idea, so we mozied on over yonder. We both ordered the s'getti and I guess that neither of us had considered that you needed to order the sauce as a side option? B/c this stuff was 95% noodles. 

We ate some, and when we went to head out, we were both feeling awfully tired all of a sudden, and we started eyeing the motel back accrost the hwy, and so we went there and passed out for the night.

I recall the motel being east of the Husky, but -  that's been nigh 25 yrs ago, so I could be gitt'n a bit senile by now....

I see that the motel doesn't say Chimo, but that could have easily changed in that time.

22 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

@Ox, from what the google machine says., the Chimo name, word, means: are you friendly, or friend, in Inuktitut language of northern Canada, also used in some parts of Southern Ontario and Western Canada. if I remember, many motels, resto's had this on their signs. I think the first time we went to Dubreuilville (1997-1998ish) the resturant had this on their sign, and on their ads. I wouldnt doubt, that White River, had a similar sign on a motel, and or resto too. maybe that is what you are referring too? Ski

I was in White River a couple of times in the 90s. The Continental Motel was adjacent to the Husky. Across the highway, the White River Motel is located. It was closed the 1st trip & the Continental lost my reservation (what a CF). The next time I was there the White River Motel was open & stayed there. I'm not sure about a restaurant being open beside it. The third time I was in WR, they owners lent us their car & we drove down to a restaurant that was across the street from the CPR tracks.

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

We ate lunch on our way thru in 2000. I seem to recall reading back in the early years of my trips up there about the hot tub being green.

I was in that green hot tub in the last century. My friends made me do it, honest. And I still sled with one of them. Good memories of the Chimo including a very cold morning when we took at least a half hour to get 4 sleds started. No batteries or electric starters to fail back then.

• Like 1

I have a lot of good memories in the Chimo as well.    It was our "go-to" spot for many years.   I remember my buddy Perry, who has since passed away, having to start our sleds for us in the am because it was so cold and sleds were frozen up.   He was a rather large man at 6'4" and 360lbs.    He had no trouble getting the machines running that I could barely get to turn over.    

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

I am not sure that the one in WR was Chimo or not.

Rev has it right tho - it shows up as the Continental now, and very well may have been back in the day as well.

The restaurant (I absolutely despise the spelling of that werd!) is the truck stop right accrost the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.5943758,-85.2784475,3a,75y,348.5h,93.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbOj55GuUb_R4EmJJxQ3xDw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Ox

that is robin's doughnuts. the subway is new, very new! Ski

• Like 1

In making Cochrane reservations, has anyone been told that the people in any room have to reside in the same home? Friend of a friend said he found an available room, but couldn't book it because the users were from different households. Sounds like a bad rumour to me, but curious????

Those are the rules in Quebec right now but I havent heard anyone having an issue in Ontario right now.  

I actually have a room booked in Cochrane this weekend but its just my dad and I so I cant see us having any issues.    We live about 2 blocks from eachother and should be considered the same household.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tricky said:

In making Cochrane reservations, has anyone been told that the people in any room have to reside in the same home? Friend of a friend said he found an available room, but couldn't book it because the users were from different households. Sounds like a bad rumour to me, but curious????

Seems to be lots of rumours going around, like OPP stopping people and telling them to go back, which is FALSE.

Combination of people just misinformed and I  think some are purposely spreading this dribble in hopes people stay home.... :sad:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stoney said:

Seems to be lots of rumours going around, like OPP stopping people and telling them to go back, which is FALSE.

Combination of people just misinformed and I  think some are purposely spreading this dribble in hopes people stay home.... :sad:

“In hopes people stay home” hmmmmm isn’t this the whole intent of the travel recommendations??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

“In hopes people stay home” hmmmmm isn’t this the whole intent of the travel recommendations??

That is correct, the "recommendation", not the "requirement", just talk to the OPP and they will tell ya that is not something they can enforce......but instead lets lie about things instead and cause even more paranoia, confusion, etc.....

Things are messed up, no doubt about it.

28 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

11 minutes ago, stoney said:

That is correct, the "recommendation", not the "requirement", just talk to the OPP and they will tell ya that is not something they can enforce......but instead lets lie about things instead and cause even more paranoia, confusion, etc.....

Things are messed up, no doubt about it.

I live in the west end of Toronto... I was driving to the east end to do a porch drop off. As I got off the 401 at Leslie there was an OPP spot check at the end of the off ramp. They checked my license and sent me back home. Said I needed to stay in my local neighbourhood. Now if you believe that I have some ocean front property for sale in Orangeville.

I took the dog for a walk this morning as usual and for the first time in a long time I heard the woman yelling from her front door that I'm going to kill people and that I need to go home and stay inside. I haven't heard her rant in months.

Edited by 02Sled

4 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I live in the west end of Toronto... I was driving to the east end to do a porch drop off. As I got off the 401 at Leslie there was an OPP spot check at the end of the off ramp. They checked my license and sent me back home. Said I needed to stay in my local neighbourhood. Now if you believe that I have some ocean front property for sale in Orangeville.

I took the dog for a walk this morning as usual and for the first time in a long time I heard the woman yelling from her front door that I'm going to kill people and that I need to go home and stay inside. I haven't heard her rant in months.

There is nothing stating you cannot travel, unless some new law was just implemented that has yet to be spread/announced.

An OPP officer that you are familiar with on another forum confirmed just the other day that there is no such enforcement when he was asked, see below that I shared on another thread:

"Great question...  we encourage all people to abide by their local health unit and provincial guidelines. While there is a strong encouragement to avoid non essential travel there is no legislation outright banning travel. I've not heard of any checkpoints turning people around nor is there legislation to support that"

Perhaps the officer did as above and you took it as instructions vs. encouragement or he was enforcing something that legally he cannot....

On the second bold part, this is exactly what is going on, people are acting and being crazy! 

Stony:

Go back and read his first paragraph - slowly...

02:

You should just tell her that you are almost as paranoid as she is.

• Haha 3