Cochrane

ecarnell

Years ago, when we were in our 30's, our group blew past some "senior members". Waved hello, goodbye, or so we thought. .

Zoom - zoom for 30 minutes, then we stop to relax. They passed us as we rested.

We played this leapfrog for the entire day. Slow and steady ( they never stopped, or so it seemed) versus us meatheads zoom - zooming, then stopping.

The two groups reached the evening destination together. 

I've observed this many times over the ensuing years.  'Tho roles are now getting reversed :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Rather than being concerned with winning bragging rights about how many km's I did in a day I prefer to actually see where I've been and the nature around me. Some of the favourites over the years have been the deer standing on their hind legs nibbling on the trees, the beaver that was about to cross the trail but then backed up as it saw us coming and the otters playing at the edge of the lake. 

There's been many times when I have asked people... did you see _______ ? and they missed it because they were going too fast.

That is what my wife always said as well. Trouble is she got caught in a lie when she smoked it through two 90 degree corners north of Hornpayne!! Then she tried to tell us she was going 50 kph and looking at wildlife. Busted!!!!:rotflmao:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Rather than being concerned with winning bragging rights about how many km's I did in a day I prefer to actually see where I've been and the nature around me. Some of the favourites over the years have been the deer standing on their hind legs nibbling on the trees, the beaver that was about to cross the trail but then backed up as it saw us coming and the otters playing at the edge of the lake. 

There's been many times when I have asked people... did you see _______ ? and they missed it because they were going too fast.

This also goes as the case when I ride my motorcycle.

love nature’s sounds and sights and smells 

Dropping in and out of the cooler spots like a swampy area along the side of the road 

smelling the fresh cut hay, small things i know but makes me feel good  

So home safe and sound 3:30 pm (left at 5:30am) - 830 km in the truck. Average 20l/100km - running 95-105km/hr.

So onto our review of the Chimo....

as all other hotels booked up for the original 3 night we were looking at -( we extended it a extra night a week or so ago) booked into the Chimo for my son and I - $125 a night for a two bedroom with kitchenette.

My 13 year old sons review : Old and dirty.

I would have to agree , and no way would I’d stay with my dad sledding or my wife/daughter.

the massive propane heater, painted concrete block walls, dated everything. Wasn’t cleanest either (probably 30 years old and never updated????)

that being said - my son and I are very easy going , we brought all our own cooking (pot , cookie sheet, 2 sets of plates, bowls, cutlery and enough food for 4 days).

Being Covid and all - have a home base for breakfast and dinner was great. The Fridge stove , microwave, toaster was handy.

With us able to cook everything, the only interaction with Cochrane personnel was at check in , coffee order at Tim’s one morning and when the cleaning lady knocked on the door one morning asking if we needed anything. Gas was tap n go at Petro two doors down.

The beds were old - but both of us actually had a wonderful sleep each night.

The center common area was great for us to sit and chat, eat, watch TV, play chess in the evening. Given no “dinning in “at resultants that we’d normally visit - this was a great alternative. And much better than sitting on beds all evening in a normal hotel room.

another benefit is that it wasn’t packed - unlike West way across the street. Never had any partiers near us. Easy to park truck and trailer in front of room every night.

For the price you really got what you paid for.

if I was heading up again for a couple of days , with current Covid restriction on food/dinning and needed a home base - I probably go back again (with my son). Any other time , I’d search for other alternatives.

Eric

053E1E46-C84C-4648-95CF-2A8F0A310470.jpeg

9FE7CBD0-619B-4B70-A2E7-688E2C5BA469.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Often wondered about the Chimo - we stayed there year's ago waiting for the Polar Bear Express to Moosonee. Was okay then and about what I expected now. Thanks for the trail reports and the accommodation updates!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review! Sometimes we have to take 1 for the team. On my 1st trip up north back in 2000, the 'organizers' were just flying by the seat of their pants. In Kap' we stayed @ the Two Bridges(?) Motel. It had definitely seen better days @ that time. Mattresses were like a swaybacked horse & I think the truck traffic was being detoured thru the parking lot.

Since then it has changed hands & is now the Advantage Motel. Several of us OCers have stayed there multiple times since. I'd have no problem recommending it.

• Like 1

That was my review of the Chimo kitchenettes 20 years ago.  Sounds like they haven’t updated anything.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I've been on both sides of the coin. Waited 5 minutes for my brother (normally a fast rider) @ an intersection north of Hearst. "What took you so long?" "I was looking @ the 'marten sets' along the trail". 

:icon_doh:

The last couple of years I've been a running joke among the gang about an old man that used to sit it front of a little cabin beside the L123. The rest thought I was seeing things. When we rode by in 2019, the cabin looked abandoned.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I've been on both sides of the coin. Waited 5 minutes for my brother (normally a fast rider) @ an intersection north of Hearst. "What took you so long?" "I was looking @ the 'marten sets' along the trail". 

:icon_doh:

The last couple of years I've been a running joke among the gang about an old man that used to sit it front of a little cabin beside the L123. The rest thought I was seeing things. When we rode by in 2019, the cabin looked abandoned.

Did you wave?. We seen that guy numerous times. Passed at various speeds with Evil out front. We waved each time also..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Did you wave?. We seen that guy numerous times. Passed at various speeds with Evil out front. We waved each time also..

Yes. He had a little path shovelled out to the trail. 

Lil Cabin is the waypoint for it

image.png.01479143a069f983f21d588fc03b6760.png

4 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Seeing him sitting there, was not what your expecting on that trail..

I guess he must've waked in the trail from the side road as I don't recall seeing a sled parked there.

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I guess he must've waked in the trail from the side road as I don't recall seeing a sled parked there.

Agreed. Have you also noticed some of the ski trails along the L123?.  Seeing a skier thru the trees in spots is a head turner also. And you guys suggest i don't see anything. You would be shocked..B)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Agreed. Have you also noticed some of the ski trails along the L123?.  Seeing a skier thru the trees in spots is a head turner also. And you guys suggest i don't see anything. You would be shocked..B)

Only ski trail that I know of near Moonbeam is just north/west of the clubhouse.

Sounds like a great trip, when sledding, I could care less where I stay, need a little heat and a roof, the rest is whatever.

my son will be licensed by November 2021 and he is already planning our first trip.

I have stayed in the Chimo several times and it's what you would expect, Cochrane is hardly a high rollers destination spot lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Sounds like a great trip, when sledding, I could care less where I stay, need a little heat and a roof, the rest is whatever.

my son will be licensed by November 2021 and he is already planning our first trip.

I have stayed in the Chimo several times and it's what you would expect, Cochrane is hardly a high rollers destination spot lol

Yes, but I've also stayed in places that it would've been warmer to sleep in the truck w/ it idling...

And like Eric said, he wouldn't take the wife or daughter there. I (along w/ others) were curious about the place as I hadn't read of anyone staying there in recent years.

Looks like we were at the Polar Bear Den in 2019:

1256439184_20190222_101645PolarBearDenCROPPED.thumb.jpg.33330608bf15fb1e25fab40c459fad39.jpg

I had a trip itinerary planned for this winter (prepared last winter) that included the Canyon loop, but not sure what's up for this winter...

49 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Have you ever had anything to do with bed bugs?

18 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Excellent review.  Thanks for posting.  Glad you guys enjoyed the trip. 

X5, or whatever the number was. Really appreciate the trail and room reviews. You have motivated me to get sledding this week somewhere, even though some of my riding buddies are staying home out of respect for the spirit of the provincial 'lockdown'.

Edited by tricky
spell

11 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I'd agree with this.

I haven't stayed in Cochran in quite some time, but I think the Chimo was brand new when we stayed there, and that must'a been prox 20 yrs ago.

Must'a been in the summer tho?