And it begins...

vooodooo

Well, that cleaner pic does look more "cornery" than the grainy vid appeared.

And it was not even noon on Saturday and the sh$t is happening, hence I don' go sledding on weekends. The trails were quite busy today behind my property

https://muskoka411.com/bracebridge-opp-urge-caution-while-snowmobiling-after-three-recent-collisions/

... One of the accidents happened on South Monck road which is nice wide summer road, perhaps someone was going to fast ?

This sport is doomed.

Between the a-hos riding offtrail and the dickheads flying around trails on the wrong side and tearing the crap out of every corner and knoll it’s no wonder people feel it’s not safe to ride weekends.

Today on the B104 guy almost hits me head on.  He was third guy in a group of three who were overtaking a slower rider.   I had passed the first 2 and saw a third sled coming around the blind corner ahead.  I thought it was third sled in group as the others had hand signaled as they roosted by me.   I was coming up and the third dickhead comes around on the inside of visible sled on the inside corner and right on my side and in my path.

Need to carry something to throw at these asses as obviously giving the finger doesn’t do anything.  Maybe my hatchet should be within reach.

Or put they heavy duty front bumper and winch on my Titan and ride it in a more aggressive response.   Make the frigers pay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s been a year with more close calls than I’ve ever experienced. 
Riding way more on the defensive. 
Byproduct of new ridership perhaps, hopefully it’s short lived.... have to take the bad with the good.  

Watching that video and if you pause just before impact, the oncoming sled sure looks to be on the wrong side of trail, sled is sliding sideways. 

5 hours ago, stoney said:

It’s been a year with more close calls than I’ve ever experienced. 
Riding way more on the defensive. 
Byproduct of new ridership perhaps, hopefully it’s short lived.... have to take the bad with the good.  

Watching that video and if you pause just before impact, the oncoming sled sure looks to be on the wrong side of trail, sled is sliding sideways. 

Maybe you are correct re your comment "Byproduct of new ridership" and I believe the  fact that sleds are much faster today then say 30 years ago and with the increase in HP comes an increase in out of control drivers.  Combine that speed potential with the types of trails we have in Muskoka area it's easy to see it is a recipe for accidents. No wonder why insurance on sleds is getting higher each year. I like the Go-Pro camera idea so you can sue the out of control rider  and have proof of careless behavior if an accident occurs.

Edited by Muskoka Bill

"New Sleds Faster"

Nothing new here....

I remember when I got my '96 Grand Touring 580.

Coming off of a '75 Deere and '80 Yammi

I was ditch banging to fast, and I ended up in a tree.

My chum told me that I needed to slow down, that I was going way faster than normal with this new sled.

New bumper and some fancy work on the hood, and I was back in business.

I don't know if it is really a "faster" thing tho. I think that it mostly boils down to handling and ride comfort.

We already have a preconceived feel for safe speed. 

It's like every time that my wife gits a newer, better handling, and quieter 'Burban.

It's just that easier to git a ticket.

I like to hear my tires and/or motor, just enough to have an audible notion of speed.

Well, on a snowmachine, you get a new machine that is tight and quiet, able to run fast with no motor revs, and soaks up the moguls 100x better than that old leaf sprung / bogie wheeled machine, or maybe your last machine wasn't quite THAT old? 

None-the-less, it takes a while for a new rider, or even an old rider on a much newer machine - to get the new "safe speed" feel.

At least that's my experience.

When we git stuck on the trail to git from point A to point B sometimes, I am absolutely amazed at how fast others can ride on these newer machines. Obviously that wide 129 is going to corner a whole lot better than my narrow 165! So that is what I am used to. We let these groups around as soon as we see them back there, and for the next 50 klicks, I'd like to have those sleds!

Last Sun' on the railbed north of Ormsby Jct I met 4 southbound sleds more or less running nose to tail @ a pretty good clip. Visibility was fine (for the lead rider). Lots of snow dust in the air so I don't think the 3rd or 4th sledders saw much until their next stop.

Yesterday as we were riding on E107 (south section of the forest access road) we met several sledders, including 1 w/ a smaller passenger riding pretty quickly. As anyone knows this trail, the south end is twisty & hilly w/ short sight lines. I just stopped (just coming down 1 of the hills) as I couldn't see the approaching sleds coming down the hill into the corner. No sign of any of the riders slowing down as they met us.

Yes that trail can be ridden faster than 50, I know we did afterwards, but you pick your places. Thru the logged area, the trail is better & the sightlines are MUCH longer.

We need much more stories like this.

A few where idiots are charged with reckless driving would go a long way too.

I reached out and slapped a clown's helmet Sunday. 

4th in a line of "fast" drivers, this one JUST missed hooking skis with me. I had to go up the bank to avoid his pals, the last guy in line is almost always most out of control, trying to keep up to be cool, confident the path is clear courtesy of those leading. 

I waited for them to turn around, but nope. 

Diane was 50 feet behind me. We were out for a local fun ride, after my spirited 350k Saturday out in the boonies.

I really think there will be a "road rage" incident involving serious personal injury at some point.

Could have been Sunday.

• Like 3

If the previous guys are in control enough to give the count down - it is nice to know if there is more coming.

We had one group that said that there was still one or two more, and they didn't come, and they didn't come.

We got so that we almost stopped on the corners - knowing full well that they were gunna have a full head-o steam trying to play catch up.

When they finally got there - they were OK, but I wouldn't count on that being the case the next time.

It will always have inherit risk and it will always be someone else fault ( in our own heads )

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

It will always have inherit risk and it will always be someone else fault ( in our own heads )

Risk, yep.... and accepted. 

So far, never my fault on close calls.... I’d admit and take responsibility if it was me though :)

2 hours ago, Ox said:

If the previous guys are in control enough to give the count down - it is nice to know if there is more coming.

We had one group that said that there was still one or two more, and they didn't come, and they didn't come.

We got so that we almost stopped on the corners - knowing full well that they were gunna have a full head-o steam trying to play catch up.

When they finally got there - they were OK, but I wouldn't count on that being the case the next time.

Seen that before. The one that sticks in my mind (our skis actually did hit side to side) was about 4 years ago. Met two newish sleds & then a gap. Met Joe Racer w/ his Team Carhartt gear on riding a early REV (no graphics) on the top of a blind knoll. Good thing I had my right ski in the snow as I went up the knoll or it would've been a lot worse.

We had a similar rider go by us on Sun'. Never caught up to him & his buddy, but by the look of his ski tracks (Indecisions), he was all over the trail. When I stopped when I met the fast group a bit later, I wondered where the 2 groups had met.

It's 1 thing when someone that has ridden a long time meets a careless sledder on the trail, I'll usually just stop rather than put myself in a dangerous spot, how does a newbie react? Just keep riding along?

41 minutes ago, stoney said:

So far, never my fault on close calls.... I’d admit and take responsibility if it was me though :)

I can't say that....

25 yrs ago in Da' U P eh we were up on Friday Dec 15th. Had no clue that it was actually opening day.

Trails were fresh glass and no-one else out there.

Except one lone rider on a corner. 

WE were over. Not sure aboot him?

Me and my chum both stuffed it in the bush and he kept rolling.

There was no reason for him to stop.

We were fine and at fault.

He was THE ONLY sled we saw ALL DAY!

Sleds were a lot slower back then.

32 minutes ago, Ox said:

I can't say that....

25 yrs ago in Da' U P eh we were up on Friday Dec 15th. Had no clue that it was actually opening day.

Trails were fresh glass and no-one else out there.

Except one lone rider on a corner. 

WE were over. Not sure aboot him?

Me and my chum both stuffed it in the bush and he kept rolling.

There was no reason for him to stop.

We were fine and at fault.

He was THE ONLY sled we saw ALL DAY!

Sleds were a lot slower back then.

I am usually tight to the right, unless line of sight is great.

On right turns, I keep to the inside, even if there is a berm, I will saddle it.

On left turns, it will depend on the turn, how tight it is, etc.....how wide I will go.

Over hills, I will usually try and peak over by standing, if I can, but for sure tight to the right as well.

On the lakes, I usually do not stay close to the stake line and try to scan the surroundings as much & as often as I can......two sleds on a lake moving at a fast clip, sure can get into a situation faster than you realize.

Thankfully I have been pretty lucky for the most part, knock on wood.....I know I can control my riding, others, not so much, which is also why I rarely ride other peoples sleds, I will usually only do so riding North ON or QC where trails are wider & more forgiving, it is not me I am worried about, it is the others that I cannot control that I concern myself with.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

21 years of claims and I can count on one hand how many people have said " you know, it's my fault" lol

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Good job by the OPP... freeloaders don't get penalised often enough and the penalty isn't costly enough

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

21 years of claims and I can count on one hand how many people have said " you know, it's my fault" lol

I have no doubt you can....LOL.

I have always carried full coverage on all my sled....knowing who is at fault & taking responsibility, are two different things, especially through the winding bush trails just wide enough for one modern day sled. 

• Like 1