And it begins...

vooodooo

Well that was vague....

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/24-year-old-man-killed-in-snowmobile-crash-near-bancroft-1.5279483

Thats near the old MNR airstrip where the Old Hastings & Mazinaw clubs meet. Middle of :furious3: nowhere. I cant imagine riding that area late @ night.

• Sad 1

I completely understand the highway user has the right of way in this situation, but I for one would like to see "CAUTION signs at trail crossings. 

I suspect the reason they're not always there is the cost. 

If a city/municipality/province put the sign up, it would likely cost thousands, a club volunteer would pound one in for $0.00.

41 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I completely understand the highway user has the right of way in this situation, but I for one would like to see "CAUTION signs at trail crossings. 

I suspect the reason they're not always there is the cost. 

If a city/municipality/province put the sign up, it would likely cost thousands, a club volunteer would pound one in for $0.00.

On the Waterloo regional roads in our area they put snowmobile crossing signs up on both sides of the crossing. I can't say I remember the townships doing the same and that would be the majority of the crossings.

The MTO has them @ their crossings. I havent noticed any on county or township roads.

Two sledders rescued earlier today on Chandos after their sleds went thru the ice.

29 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

:headbang:

I'm afraid that we may see too much of this. A lot of new riders and/or cottagers that have never used their cottages in the winter. "Oh looks the lake's froze over..."

25 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I'm afraid that we may see too much of this. A lot of new riders and/or cottagers that have never used their cottages in the winter. "Oh looks the lake's froze over..."

Or the ones on their 4 wheeler thinking it was groomed for them as they have never been out of the city in the winter before....

• Sad 1

https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/10316044-clarington-man-dies-from-snowmobile-crash-injuries/

Another sad and preventable death. I read elsewhere he was testing his machine after a repair and was not wearing a helmet.

A Clarington man has succumbed to serious injuries he suffered on Saturday evening after he was thrown from a snowmobile.

The victim, 63, was driving a snowmobile around 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 23 when he was ejected from the vehicle on a private laneway near Newtonville, say Durham police.

His snowmobile was the only vehicle involved in the collision, add police.

https://www.sootoday.com/global-news/peterborough-county-opp-assist-reported-disoriented-snowmobiler-on-rice-lake-3293921

Seeing as this was near Keene, the ice fisherman & his buddies are lucky they didn't wind up in the water where Indian River flows into the lake.

I would think if you're going to be on a lake after dark a GPS would be a good idea to have.

8 minutes ago, revrnd said:

https://www.sootoday.com/global-news/peterborough-county-opp-assist-reported-disoriented-snowmobiler-on-rice-lake-3293921

Seeing as this was near Keene, the ice fisherman & his buddies are lucky they didn't wind up in the water where Indian River flows into the lake.

I would think if you're going to be on a lake after dark a GPS would be a good idea to have.

I will never navigate Rice lake without GPS. Last year end of day Whiteout conditions and my GPS got me through without any issues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I wonder why the other 2 walked off the ice. Guess both their sled(s) quit on them maybe. LOL

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

I will never navigate Rice lake without GPS. Last year end of day Whiteout conditions and my GPS got me through without any issues.

I had a scare on Chandos back in the 80s. Got onto West Bay during a snowfall after dark. Like riding in a proverbial snow globe.

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

I was out in the middle of Rice Lake last year riding alone. The weather started deteriorating and I could barely see the next marker. Decided to turn around and head back. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Yup. Mrs. Turbo Doos father, the 'Dutchman',  lives on the line 15, Woodland Drive area, right on lake Simcoe. That particular bay JUST froze. The mother in law watches everyday people venturing out on the ice. PEOPLE IT JUST FROZE. LIKE WTF.  She made a comment the other day about watching the waves underneath the ice. Just sad people have absolutely NO IDEA....

Speaking with the Dutchman this morning,  she said a few ice Fisherman with sleds,  rode by the cottage this morning at 530am. Think about that?. 

Edited by Turbo Doo

Hell if I was a tow company I would park an old car on new ice close to shore and then make a killing pulling out the sunk cars.

panicing people would pay lots to get a car out.