And it begins...

vooodooo

6 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

We used to do that from Bellwood and almost make it up to waldemar. Lots of beer and open water involved. All vintage beater sleds. 

:baghead:.......lol

Yes, plenty of not so smart decisions we've all made at some point, and luckily still here to laugh about it.

Everytime I ride by the narrows in Dorset I think to myself, how or why did I ever do that......than I remember the one guy (my brother) in the group that said if we happen to be in that area, he was doing it no matter what, so we made damn sure we made it there that day. Sure enough he went, than of course all of us followed as we had to all be "men" that day, good memories.

Of course it was not one of those years where lost of the narrows were frozen over.....more like lots of it was not frozen over.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coldfinger said:

We ran the Grand from Breslau to Elora gorge . Cruise up taking note of the hazards race back , finish line was the railway bridge in Breslau .You could throw a blanket over us at the finish line . 500 Indy's .

When was last time you did that? I got on after you near blooming dale road. Always went towards elora. Winters not even cold enough to attempt that today. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

That was another life time ago. That ride ended when the city of Waterloo started pumping treated waste water into the river at Bridgeport . Remember that low buggy bridge near Westmontrose? 

8 hours ago, stoney said:

:baghead:.......lol

Yes, plenty of not so smart decisions we've all made at some point, and luckily still here to laugh about it.

Everytime I ride by the narrows in Dorset I think to myself, how or why did I ever do that......than I remember the one guy (my brother) in the group that said if we happen to be in that area, he was doing it no matter what, so we made damn sure we made it there that day. Sure enough he went, than of course all of us followed as we had to all be "men" that day, good memories.

Of course it was not one of those years where lost of the narrows were frozen over.....more like lots of it was not frozen over.....

Been there. Done that. Good times for sure watching the divers pull up the sleds 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Been there. Done that. Good times for sure watching the divers pull up the sleds 

We ended up having to fish one of our buddies sleds out of the narrows ourselves one year using a rope & hook we bought from Robinsons.....local diver was busy that day attending a family function so we took matters into our own hands, thankfully he sank near the bridge crossing making it possible.

• Like 1

I guess I'm just too cautious. I don't care if there are tracks I'm sticking to the marked trail. There's a string of lakes and portages heading north from Swift Rapids. Every now and then you see tracks bypass the portages out on the ice going around a point or through a narrow channel. I don't care. Some young puppy on a 400 lb. sled who weighs 150 lb. rips through there doing 90 and makes it doesn't mean that someone like me can on my 600 lb sled weighing much more than 150 and doing less than 90 can. I haven't come close to going swimming.

But then some thought I was insane in my younger days when I competed in steer wrestling. Sliding off the side of a horse at a full run, grabbing a running steer by the horns, digging my heels into the dirt and twisting the steer onto the ground.

Edited by 02Sled
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I guess I'm just too cautious.

I've used the comment, "I didn't get to this age by being stupid."  LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I guess I'm just too cautious. I don't care if there are tracks I'm sticking to the marked trail. There's a string of lakes and portages heading north from Swift Rapids. Every now and then you see tracks bypass the portages out on the ice going around a point or through a narrow channel. I don't care. Some young puppy on a 400 lb. sled who weighs 150 lb. rips through there doing 90 and makes it doesn't mean that someone like me can on my 600 lb sled weighing much more than 150 and doing less than 90 can. I haven't come close to going swimming.

Sometimes you just take a wrong turn and then say ow crapola you are riding on slush and water that isn’t frozen solid. I really need to get a gps on sled. Been close to go swimming a few times but always made it thru iffy area’s. Almost sank once on Kennis lake near forest. No snow left on road early in winter and people were riding from forest across lake to base camp as a short cut, instead of going long way or down bare kennies lake road. It was late in day and low on fuel,  I took lake way. Lots of slush and some open water along way. Thankfully I made It that day. Followed some so so packed goat path trail back to base camp after lake. Almost got stuck on that path, which I learned later was old access trail, oops. 

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

But then some thought I was insane in my younger days when I competed in steer wrestling. Sliding off the side of a horse at a full run, grabbing a running steer by the horns, digging my heels into the dirt and twisting the steer onto the ground.

..... and you think us guys who raced sleds are nuts??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know growing up in the east coast in Nova Scotia, there have been many times when i look back that i could have been ended. we didn't race from light to light. we raced from community to community

I have lost a lot of good friends playing death games behind the wheel of an old car. myself i have been in some pretty bad wrecks and crawled out of them

Edited by ToSlow

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Sliding off the side of a horse at a full run, grabbing a running steer by the horns, digging my heels into the dirt and twisting the steer onto the ground. That's how I persuaded my wife to marry me.

4.7 seconds on a bull in Medicine Hat high school rodeo once while working there. With a name like DaisyJean how bad could a bull be? Have a video somewhere. A decade later, my younger brother ends up working in the Hat as a pathologist - first job out of med school. Went to see the professional rodeo there - his first ever. He's watching when a bull rider got bucked off, kicked in the head by the bull and died in the corral. Brother always commented on how being there saved him some work... when the cowboy ended up on his "table" didn't need much examination - blunt force trauma to the head. 

At age 24 though I was working steady grave yard underground and going to school full time days. No time for drunk driving nor did I have the inclination to loose my driver's license due to being impaired - enjoyed the freedom it provided. 

1 minute ago, slomo said:

4.7 seconds on a bull in Medicine Hat high school rodeo once while working there. With a name like DaisyJean how bad could a bull be? Have a video somewhere. A decade later, my younger brother ends up working in the Hat as a pathologist - first job out of med school. Went to see the professional rodeo there - his first ever. He's watching when a bull rider got bucked off, kicked in the head by the bull and died in the corral. Brother always commented on how being there saved him some work... when the cowboy ended up on his "table" didn't need much examination - blunt force trauma to the head. 

At age 24 though I was working steady grave yard underground and going to school full time days. No time for drunk driving nor did I have the inclination to loose my driver's license due to being impaired - enjoyed the freedom it provided. 

I knew a bunch of guys that rode bulls... our joke was... how do you become a bull rider? Fill your mouth full of marbles. Each time you get on a bull spit out one of the marbles. When you've lost all of your marbles then you're a bull rider. Our best man was even more crazy. He was a rodeo clown. He figured at least he gets paid for every rodeo and his motto was "feet don't fail me now". Bull rider gets dumped and the clown runs up slaps the bull in the side of the head and then hopes he can outrun it. I went for the tame stuff. Bareback and saddle bronc were crazy too, not quite as crazy as the bull riders though.

• Like 1

I would be the clown long before I would climb on that thing!

I have a history of being that clown tho too I guess....

Not more than 5 yrs old, but fer sure - pre kiddygarten, I liked to wander out in the steer pen when they were outside. The fence was [non-moveable] stanchion style WWW, and I could run right through it at that age. I would wander in there just "so" far and get someone's attention, and then stick my thumbs in my ears and wave my fingers and "blablablabla" 'till someone would git pissed off and start chasing after me. As time went on, I would git braver and put more distance out there.

Then one day I knew that I had bitten off more than I could chew. I know darn well that _ that steer was snort'n down my drawers as I blew through that fence like it wasn't even there, straight through the barn door, and straight to the house @ full tilt boogie! Never missed a beat!

That just so happened to be the last time that I did that... WTF.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&

• Haha 3

CTV Sudbury had a report tonight of a snowmobiler being rescued from McCharles Lake near Naughton. Person was transported to hospital for treatment of hypothermia.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

CTV Sudbury had a report tonight of a snowmobiler being rescued from McCharles Lake near Naughton. Person was transported to hospital for treatment of hypothermia.

My buds brain dead drug addict brother sunk his uninsured apex in a swamp up there 2 days ago. They got it out before he was caught trespassing and having no insurance. There is no cure for stupidity.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, zoso said:

My buds brain dead drug addict brother sunk his uninsured apex in a swamp up there 2 days ago. They got it out before he was caught trespassing and having no insurance. There is no cure for stupidity.

Like they say 'Karma's a b****'.

15 hours ago, slomo said:

Imagine hitting this in a blinding snow storm...trail is not that far off....

billboard.jpg.da54105b1e277abc3757491b547d971c.jpg

the maze might be fun though..

Reminds me of a sledder(s) killed on a snowmobile that hit a train on the CN tracks north of Brechin during a snowstorm @ a crossing with no warning lights. There's a level crossing on the E108 east of Burketon that has poor sightlines too.

Yeah, my chums grand mum pile drove a train back in the mid 80's. (car)

Dark night, parked train, back road, no lights, no DOT tape of any sort, and black cars....

She ate the dash and buggered up both knees pretty bad.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Sad, one thing that stood out, midnight..:headbang:..

Yep.