New Lockdown & OFSC trails

chez-nous cest skidoo

15 minutes ago, Canuck said:

No, no, no....it won't be extended.  The 72 hour rule solves everything. 

"Canada will stop incoming flights from the U.K. for 72 hours to prevent the spread of a new coronavirus strain, according to a statement from Health Canada."

Sad isn't it..

Hopefully things slow up quickly..

22 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Long shot here ,but, i am thinking closing trails down, is the beginning of the end for the OFSC and organized sledding here in Ontario.  Am i wrong?. 

Yes!  they are keeping them open.  Sigh of relief!

You might be right turbo ill buy your sled like its a whip and buggy in 1920 wait a second I think you may want to reconsider There may be 3 possible outcomes 1] we go back to some kind of organized muddle of trails covering ontario where by some trails are good and others are crap like the last few years  2nd tier at best comparatively speaking. 2 ] the sport evolves to where the snow flies regularly and gets grooming,support and government backing for central/northern business  whereby we all win or 3] devolves into fragmented clubs like years gone by which are totally local and generally finding your own trails and unassumed roads from where the sport started

I'm gad for y'all that the trails will still be open, not sure how that translates to traveling/motel-ing, but I'd be up for beg for forgiveness if it comes to it.

But I don't git the ski hill thing?

I know that the Colorado hills have it so that you change and warm in your vee-hickle, and I ass_u_me that means that bus loads are off limits... (?)

But the cafeteria is open, but come in - git sumpin' to eat, take enough time in the facility to gobble it down, and then git out. No loitering.

The thing is that skiers are not typically an old, unhealthy, overweight smoker, bunch. 

I've never frequented a ski hill, but by the looks of the motel near Wolf Creek Pass - there are a LOT of kids there!

It's sad that Searchmont is not open. I would have thought that most of their clientele would be from The Soo, but I guess not.

There are some big name ski hills 2 hours further south, so.... but I understand that Searchmont is a bigger hill, but... ???

But, in the wake of this mandate, it's for their benefit that they haven't been working the hill and then not be able to open.

I am very sorry for the folks at Halfway, as I am sure that D isn't gunna see Jack Schidt fer traffic this year, and yet they are there to keep the trail open.

They will lose their assets!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Ford is a business man.  Its all about letting the public spend as much money as possible before Christmas. If he really cared we would be locked down now.  

3 hours ago, Poo Man said:

$$$$$ they want people to finish their shopping and have one last hurrah first:blink:

The last place I want to be is a.mall. people were waiting an hour at the Pickering Town Centre to shop. Is there a grocery store there?

17 minutes ago, Ox said:

I'm gad for y'all that the trails will still be open, not sure how that translates to traveling/motel-ing, but I'd be up for beg for forgiveness if it comes to it.

But I don't git the ski hill thing?

I know that the Colorado hills have it so that you change and warm in your vee-hickle, and I ass_u_me that means that bus loads are off limits... (?)

But the cafeteria is open, but come in - git sumpin' to eat, take enough time in the facility to gobble it down, and then git out. No loitering.

The thing is that skiers are not typically an old, unhealthy, overweight smoker, bunch. 

I've never frequented a ski hill, but by the looks of the motel near Wolf Creek Pass - there are a LOT of kids there!

It's sad that Searchmont is not open. I would have thought that most of their clientele would be from The Soo, but I guess not.

There are some big name ski hills 2 hours further south, so.... but I understand that Searchmont is a bigger hill, but... ???

But, in the wake of this mandate, it's for their benefit that they haven't been working the hill and then not be able to open.

I am very sorry for the folks at Halfway, as I am sure that D isn't gunna see Jack Schidt fer traffic this year, and yet they are there to keep the trail open.

They will lose their assets!

Ya the skiing thing is a little hard to take - if they minimize the line widths - you are never that close to anyone and wearing a mask of some sort, and outdoors.

and on average - probably one of the largest group of healthier people out there being active in the winter.

Though on the flip side - I’ll suspect see/come close to maybe at most 8-10 people (drive thru, check in, delivery/food at dinner - - - tap and go at pump if available) in 5 days of riding with my son next week I suspect.

Edited by ecarnell

39 minutes ago, matt17 said:

Thanks Matt for posting the statement from the OFSC. From what I read it seems to me that the key paragraph in the statement is this one:

Today’s announcement reinforced “that Ontarians should stay at home as much as possible to minimize transmission of the virus and prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.” This means that during the shutdown, and when trails are in the Orange, Red or Grey Zones, trail riding will be local in keeping with public health restrictions. To facilitate this, the OFSC will implement Flex Trail options for local riding as and where appropriate. Check the Interactive Trail Guide before riding. Flex Trail options include trails within a public health region being available only for local residents.

I believe according to the Covid area map that the vast majority of Ontario north of Muskoka is green or yellow so those areas won't be "Flex Trail" areas.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

1 hour ago, 528rick said:

Interesting that under Closed they list "motorsports" but under  open they list snowmobile trails. better call Saul

Would they mean sanctioned events like snow cross & ice racing as opposed to us rec' users? I read that the Bonnechere Cup was canceled a few days ago.

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

The last place I want to be is a.mall. people were waiting an hour at the Pickering Town Centre to shop. Is there a grocery store there?

We went to Bancroft this morning. 

Enough for me for a long time. 

I cant imagine going to a city. 

Freezer is full of beef and venison. 

Wont be going to far with all all the idiots on the loose..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

Ya the skiing thing is a little hard to take - if they minimize the line widths - you are never that close to anyone and wearing a mask of some sort, and outdoors.

and on average - probably one of the largest group of healthier people out there being active in the winter.

Though on the flip side - I’ll suspect see/come close to maybe at most 8-10 people (drive thru, check in, delivery/food at dinner) in 5 days of riding with my son next week is suspect.

Crowds at Whistler on the weekend. Not sure if the 'bases' at the hills are like that in Ontario.

Just now, revrnd said:

Would they mean sanctioned events like snow cross & ice racing as opposed to us rec' users? I read that the Bonnechere Cup was canceled a few days ago.

I think you are on the right track Revernd. I think they are trying to prevent crowds of spectators  in "small areas".

• Like 1

Most of the bigger hills have web cams - some of them live video, so you can see how the traffic is at the drop of a hat.

I would think that Whistler would have one.

https://www.onthesnow.com/colorado/monarch-mountain/webcams.html

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DyvzXyJ_fVg

Edited by Ox

6 minutes ago, Rich Saul said:

We went to Bancroft this morning. 

Enough for me for a long time. 

I cant imagine going to a city. 

Freezer is full of beef and venison. 

Wont be going to far with all all the idiots on the loose..

We're good for groceries until the New Year. I have some pick ups in an industrial park on Weds' or Thurs' & that's it for me. Talking to 1 shop & they say they'll go back to curb side in the New Year.

My steel supplier has been curb pick up since they re-opened in the spring. Phone your order in & they place it on a rack that has a lockable enclosure. Pick it up @ your convenience. I havent been inside their office all year.

• Like 1

I have a few things to say, restaurants in sledding towns will be take out only, if they choose to open for the next 2 or 4 weeks depending on the Sudbury line.  Call ahead, same for motels. If trails are not allowed to be open, the roads and lakes are always available, just like in the early years before trails were established.   Two, if you are taking and using and sharing information from people on social media who didnt even have Grade 12 science, are believing their "facts" as to who or where or what is in hospital, is sick, has actually died, or what the vaccine is or can do for you, well, in a year this will all become clear.  We can argue pros and cons all we want, only time will make things clear.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Crowds at Whistler on the weekend. Not sure if the 'bases' at the hills are like that in Ontario.

What do you think it compares to large indoor malls packed with people over the last couple of weekends?

At Blue Mountain and almost all the other ski resorts in Ontario have had all the indoor eating (and socializing) facilities been scaled down/closed as per previous guidelines. Limited changing areas, etc.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crow said:

My bet is it will be extended. Spring lockdown didn't get rid of it, this one will be no different, as it sounds like the plan is the same. On top of that, the new strain is apparently more easily spread.

As long as  LCBO and the beer store are essential, I guess I will be fine, or broke.

Spring lockdown did flatten the curve, restrictions were relaxed I and I wound up having two great bike trips with friends in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, all Covid free. I am turning into a real "glass half full" guy, relative to my fellow snowmobilers. I am the sour puss relative to my biker friends.  I agree whole heartedly on the role of the liquor and beer stores in keeping my attitude positive.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, 528rick said:

You might be right turbo ill buy your sled like its a whip and buggy in 1920 wait a second I think you may want to reconsider There may be 3 possible outcomes 1] we go back to some kind of organized muddle of trails covering ontario where by some trails are good and others are crap like the last few years  2nd tier at best comparatively speaking. 2 ] the sport evolves to where the snow flies regularly and gets grooming,support and government backing for central/northern business  whereby we all win or 3] devolves into fragmented clubs like years gone by which are totally local and generally finding your own trails and unassumed roads from where the sport started

SHOW ME THE MONEY!....8-)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

What do you think it compares to large indoor malls packed with people over the last couple of weekends?

At Blue Mountain and almost all the other ski resorts in Ontario have had all the indoor eating (and socializing) facilities been scaled down/closed as per previous guidelines. Limited changing areas, etc.

The last time I was in the mall in Ptbo was in Oct' to buy a new phone. That was my 2nd visit this year.

I dont need any new clothes or shoes, so why would I want to venture there?

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

The last time I was in the mall in Ptbo was in Oct' to buy a new phone. That was my 2nd visit this year.

I dont need any new clothes or shoes, so why would I want to venture there?

I wasn’t making a reference to you specifically going to a crowded mall (sorry if you took it that way)  - was trying to compare skiing under new COVID rules to the craziness of malls last couple of weeks

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tricky said:

Spring lockdown did flatten the curve, restrictions were relaxed I and I wound up having two great bike trips with friends in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, all Covid free. I am turning into a real "glass half full" guy, relative to my fellow snowmobilers. I am the sour puss relative to my biker friends.  I agree whole heartedly on the role of the liquor and beer stores in keeping my attitude positive.

Agreed, it wasn't meant to rid us of the virus, just control it from overwhelming the health care system. This round is the same game plan, so the outcome will be no different I suspect, hopefully we are no worse for it, only better. But I just don't see 28 days getting us back to the numbers needed to relax the lockdown.

Good on you for the bike trips, you weren't alone apparently by the number of bikes going by here.

I foolishly cancelled my insurance this spring when the first lockdown happened, as I understood it would be considered unnecessary travel. Ended up being too busy to have used it anyway.

Not sure if my glass is half full,  or half empty. It's somewhere in the middle though.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

I noticed they closed down most of trails in north now. A few km’s left around Cochrane. Not much choice in flex trails in north now. 

No snow in the north.

I'm in sudbury and we are lucky to have a couple inches

11 minutes ago, soupkids said:

No snow in the north.

I'm in sudbury and we are lucky to have a couple inches

Where yellow snd it has been colder up farther. Maybe you right after packing and some traffic snow is worn now have no idea. They were calling for over 35 cm’s in Cochrane area. See if they get it.