New Lockdown & OFSC trails

chez-nous cest skidoo

"There are some rules and regulations that have been put in place by the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs that says that people have to respect the health unit that they live in," he says. "So if they are in a health unit that has been locked down they cannot travel to another area that is not locked down. It is not up to us to police that. It will be up to the OPP to police that." 

Opp cannot do a thing if I am riding outside the health that I reside in. There is no travel ban in our country or province.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blake G said:

The best response to the concerns is for sledders to behave responsibly and respectfully. Most will, some won't. 

I don't feel like I am stupid. I know that I can't snowmobile on closed(red) trails. That is all I am sure of. I live in a region, Halton Health Unit, that has no OFSC trail. If trails were to open this week in Orillia, can I legally trailer there to sled? Can I go to Cochrane now to ride opened trails? Can I go there January 10? I thought that I can drive anywhere after that was the advice I got on this excellent forum, but legally, can I? My 'new to me' sled is ready to go and I am chomping at the bit. MPP Charlie Angus says we are not southern Ontario's playground, but that is exactly how the Cochrane area businesses actract us. WTF gives??? 

7 minutes ago, tricky said:

I don't feel like I am stupid. I know that I can't snowmobile on closed(red) trails. That is all I am sure of. I live in a region, Halton Health Unit, that has no OFSC trail. If trails were to open this week in Orillia, can I legally trailer there to sled? Can I go to Cochrane now to ride opened trails? Can I go there January 10? I thought that I can drive anywhere after that was the advice I got on this excellent forum, but legally, can I? My 'new to me' sled is ready to go and I am chomping at the bit. MPP Charlie Angus says we are not southern Ontario's playground, but that is exactly how the Cochrane area businesses actract us. WTF gives??? 

Go riding.  IMO, if this starts this season,  covid or no covid,  it'll be just another death blow to the sport.  Your going to preach for everyone to stay away, then when and IF, this is all over,  your gonna be begging for them to come back and spend money. Be careful what they wish for. OPP out on the trails and Hwys stopping people to travel will most likely never happen. We can't seem to stop trespassing,  no permit holders etc.,  come on. Lots of people riding in the north as we speak. 

20 minutes ago, tricky said:

It is perfectly legal to travel and ride. This MPP is a loon.

someone coming into our area and bragging about F-kCOVID," posted Angus. "I will be speaking with health officials and police to ensure that party crews coming into our towns respect the COVID rules." 

Reading it again,  it says nothing about actually stopping sledders. 

IMO, we have rooms booked, we will be respectful,  like we always have been, and will, and really more so, support the businesses who support us. Book your rooms. Be respectful and safe. Follow protocols, and ride on....

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ask this mpp why people can travel to other friggin countries for vacations, including government officials, but we can't sled while following health guidelines. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zoso said:

It is perfectly legal to travel and ride. This MPP is a loon.

You really think he's a loon? You don't think he at least made a couple inquiries before he made that statement to the press?

I think old Charlie is a typical politician telling people what they want to hear.

The law allows people to drive their trucks and trailers to sledding destinations, although the government and health units recommend against unnecessary travel. If you choose to drive to a distant location you will be acting contrary to recommendations, but you will not be breaking a law. 

I expect that Charlie Angus acknowledges peoples' right to travel to towns in his riding, but he objects to visitor behaviour that fails to abide by the actual Covid restrictions (no large get-togethers  for example.) 

The OFSC's previously stated policy is that there will not be available trails to connect health districts that are at different levels on the covid map.

Regardless of our sledding choices, we should consider and protect the safety of ourselves and others. I would also suggest we respect the concerns of others.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Charlie Angus understands the difference between travel recommendations and travel restrictions. Not so sure about the newspaper writer.

The law allows us to drive our trucks and trailers to our sledding destinations, although the government and health units recommend against unnecessary travel. If you choose to drive to a distant location you will be acting contrary to recommendations, but you will not be breaking a law. 

The OFSC's previously stated policy is that there will not be available trails to connect health districts that are at different levels on the covid map.

Regardless of our sledding choices, we should consider and protect the safety of ourself and others. I would also suggest we respect the concerns of others.

Well said Blake. Lets all be smart about this season.  I see absolutely no reason why we cannot travel and enjoy the sport.  Be respectful,  follow protocols and enjoy. Lets try and not have the big group of buddies hanging around,  and i think most will be fine. Its not really hard to do. When calling and booking,  ask about the places protocols and respect them. The places we talked too and have booked, are welcoming, and just want protocols to be followed.  Not hard to do imo.. 

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

You really think he's a loon? You don't think he at least made a couple inquiries before he made that statement to the press?

I think old Charlie is a typical politician telling people what they want to hear.

He is a dipper, they are loons by default.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's only one problem with all of this the whole province is in lock down so how can you not travel from one health you to another when we're all supposed to be locked down it makes zero sense right now

10 hours ago, Blake G said:

The law allows people to drive their trucks and trailers to sledding destinations, although the government and health units recommend against unnecessary travel. If you choose to drive to a distant location you will be acting contrary to recommendations, but you will not be breaking a law. 

I expect that Charlie Angus acknowledges peoples' right to travel to towns in his riding, but he objects to visitor behaviour that fails to abide by the actual Covid restrictions (no large get-togethers  for example.) 

Regardless of our sledding choices, we should consider and protect the safety of ourselves and others. I would also suggest we respect the concerns of others.

10 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Well said Blake. Lets all be smart about this season.  I see absolutely no reason why we cannot travel and enjoy the sport.  Be respectful,  follow protocols and enjoy. Lets try and not have the big group of buddies hanging around,  and i think most will be fine. Its not really hard to do. When calling and booking,  ask about the places protocols and respect them. The places we talked too and have booked, are welcoming, and just want protocols to be followed.  Not hard to do imo.. 

Well said gents and thank you!! We have a couple of trips booked coming up and as mentioned above Respect is key during this time, very small groups and following protocols. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

No rules really can do what you want pretty much. Just ofsc might not connect different health units together until lock down is over. So have to wait and see where we can and not go pretty much. 

It would be interesting if area X, area Y and area Z were in the same category so the interconnecting trails were all groomed and open. Then things change and area Y changes category. The trails in all areas are still open but they want you to not travel from one different category region to the next. How do you stop people from riding from X through the different category Y and into the category Z areas.  

3 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It would be interesting if area X, area Y and area Z were in the same category so the interconnecting trails were all groomed and open. Then things change and area Y changes category. The trails in all areas are still open but they want you to not travel from one different category region to the next. How do you stop people from riding from X through the different category Y and into the category Z areas.  

You make the connecting  trail "red" on the ITG.

Edited by Blake G

Just now, Blake G said:

You make the trail "red" on the ITG.

But it's not red for the people that live in that area. For them it's green.

4 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

But it's not red for the people that live in that area. For them it's green.

Good point, but it seems to me that the section connecting the disparate regions would have to be made unavailable. The Covid situation has added one new reason to the list of many reasons why a trail section can be deemed unavailable.

Edited by Blake G

12 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Good point, but it seems to me that the section connecting the disparate regions would have to be made unavailable. The Covid situation has added one new reason to the list of many reasons why a trail section can be deemed unavailable.

Only area that I know this has happened is d108A from hornepayne to dub. Can’t open it because going south is a different health unit. So now trail sits un groomed until middle of January it seems. If it gets extended then no connection will be made. 

Image may contain: 1 person, text

I think one of the big problems with this is the word “Lockdown”. 
Ive been working in Toronto the last few weeks and this isn’t a lockdown, lots of people out and around everywhere, roads are very busy as usually and I’m still getting traffic leaving the city around 3 or so, so where is this a lockdown ?
They should of used a different word than lockdown so some people could understand it better. 

Edited by WinderFab

I live south of Pearson airport... traffic is MUCH lighter than usual. Mall and office building parking lots are essentially empty. Around the neighbourhood the driveways that are normally empty are full with people likely working from home.

Edited by 02Sled

Still not considered a lockdown. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinderFab said:

I think one of the big problems with this is the word “Lockdown”. 
Ive been working in Toronto the last few weeks and this isn’t a lockdown, lots of people out and around everywhere, roads are very busy as usually and I’m still getting 

traffic leaving the city around 3 or so, so where is this a lockdown ? 

Plenty of businesses that are still working, would still have considerable traffic in and out of the area.