New Lockdown & OFSC trails

chez-nous cest skidoo

4 minutes ago, GTC said:

I get a real kick out of the guys and or gals that complain about losing their $200 for the permit if the trails dont open, I bought a spare belt for my sled today it was 244 plus tax

I doubt i will get that back if trails dont open

Cheapest part of the sport, the trail pass is...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GTC said:

Maybe the OFSC and the lesters could get together, , buy some private land for their Off trail market,  which is all you see on their mags anymore 

Agreed. You must have first hand experience with issues created by off trail riders. And good points re: costs associated with sledding :(

I no longer read the magazine so not sure what they're writing about nowadays .Getting away from actual trail reporting had a lot to do with that. As a landowner ( trail since rerouted) granting permission over farmland, their boondoggle pics gave pause. Its like a cross country ski club promoting snowmobile use on its trails.  Thanks for your land, enjoy the pics. I could have sent in those pics. From a river bed, with steep slopes,  in Midland.

" Nice air".  " Nice landing ". But the trail ( was ) over there.

During Covid, we " stay in our lanes ". This group gets it, because we've spent seasons " in our lane ".  If we could convey that to new riders, aggressive riders - we'd be further ahead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GTC said:

I get a real kick out of the guys and or gals that complain about losing their $200 for the permit if the trails dont open, I bought a spare belt for my sled today it was 244 plus tax

I doubt i will get that back if trails dont open

Check the fine print, might be surprised about that belt if the year is a bust... :coffeenose:

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

Check the fine print, might be surprised about that belt if the year is a bust... :coffeenose:

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

No Im not a whiney bitch, Im willing to take the loss, If my permit dollars dont get used, Im sure they will go on to improve equipment, I will need that spare belt at some point

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scottyr said:

I booked rooms in Cochrane on the 16th/17th weekend for me and my dad.   We are going to keep a pretty low profile and avoid interaction with other people as much as possible.   We will bring my portable BBQ and make our own dinner at least 1 night.    I will probably throw some lunch stuff in a cooler have sammiches on the trail if restaurants are too busy.    We are going to ride.   Not hang out in bars or anything like that.   

I do this regularly 

7 hours ago, scottyr said:

If there is a law that says we cannot travel, then I will stay home.    The Northern regions will not be in lockdown at that point and I live in a low risk area.   I live with 2 RNs (wife and oldest daughter) and they both tell me that as long as I keep any/all interaction with people to an absolute minimum they dont see any issue with me going snowmobiling for a few days.   I wear a mask and carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere I go.   I am very self sufficient and if that means eating all my meals in my room, I am ok with that.   As I said, I do not plan on steeping foot in any restaurants and I always wear gloves when touching gas pumps.    

Only one RN in my household...darn ! ....but I have been "training" for this whole scenario now for about 15 years.....it's how I roll. The province wide shut down is mainly to prevent shoppers, restaurant and bar goers, fitness place exercisers, yogo studio grunters and others of that ilk from flooding neighbouring municipalities (and spreading virus) who's places of business have not been closed. Ottawa is a prime example - numbers down but anticipated Quebecers coming into town.

Back in the recession of 2008, I anticipated a strip mall row of "looks" related businesses to go under thinking how could people be spending money on getting their finger and toe nails painted and wouldn't a tan outside in the sun be a money saver compared to having to bake in a tanning bed? But nope they did not.......a recent TV news item on another about to die without federal largesse business features a woman on Queen Street West,  Toronto ....who runs a salon that deals exclusively with shaping eye brows....FFS.

Get what you need folks, not what you want.

I agree with Canuck but reality suggests that the Lesters, Nicholsons, and by association the OFSC, being  mouth pieces for after market mods and pushing off trail machines can't be counted on for anything but doing the same as they have done for years. Just realized I haven't received the magazine in over two years. ho hum....

scottyr...my regards to you and your front line workers....I know exactly how burned out they must be at this time. Do something nice for them like get out of the house for a while so they can enjoy some space after returning from work so they don't have to worry about infecting you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ride on.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/northern-ontario-politician-calls-for-regional-travel-ban-1.5242684

They do this. The sports really in trouble....Might as well call it, and shut trails down also....

They won’t do that unless hospitals start filling up. No way they are going to spend resources guarding highways. First Nation had an Ice road, which they decided not to build to keep people out. Never know with these crazy politicians. If they do that may as well come up with a curfew too. 

14 hours ago, GTC said:

Going to be tough for us, as our club is split right in the middle of 2 different health units

Same thing here. Two different health units within our club, and we butt up against a third. Grooming/ not grooming will be interesting if it ever snows.

23 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

They won’t do that unless hospitals start filling up. No way they are going to spend resources guarding highways. First Nation had an Ice road, which they decided not to build to keep people out. Never know with these crazy politicians. If they do that may as well come up with a curfew too. 

They may not do it, but it's clear, visitors from the south will not be welcome in the north. I'm not inclined to go where I'm not welcomed.

The natives closed the highway on Manitoulin last spring/summer.

9 hours ago, GTC said:

No Im not a whiney bitch, Im willing to take the loss, If my permit dollars dont get used, Im sure they will go on to improve equipment, I will need that spare belt at some point

That is good, in for the long haul regardless :right_on:

I look at the $200.00 as well as a possible donation to a good cause.....if I was buying multiple permits though, that would be a harder pill to swallow I would think.

BTW, I was being sarcastic about the return on the belt.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, XTC500 said:

They may not do it, but it's clear, visitors from the south will not be welcome in the north. I'm not inclined to go where I'm not welcomed.

Are you certain it was closed?

I only ask because my dad who has a cottage on Parry Island implemented a check point to get across the bridge this past spring/summer, only allowed people that had passes to enter, but all you had to do was have the pass given to you as being an owner/resident on the island and off you went, which could have been left for you at the check point or given to you before crossing, but they seem to also only enforce the policy on the weekend.

If in fact it was closed off 100%, I assume that also meant no one came and no one left as well seeing as that would only make sense.

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/northern-ontario-politician-calls-for-regional-travel-ban-1.5242684

They do this. The sports really in trouble....Might as well call it, and shut trails down also....

illegal to do this. 

36 minutes ago, stoney said:

I look at the $200.00 as well as a possible donation to a good cause.....if I was buying multiple permits though, that would be a harder pill to swallow I would think.

yup. 200 is no big deal

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stoney said:

Are you certain it was closed?

I only ask because my dad who has a cottage on Parry Island implemented a check point to get across the bridge this past spring/summer, only allowed people that had passes to enter, but all you had to do was have the pass given to you as being an owner/resident on the island and off you went, which could have been left for you at the check point or given to you before crossing, but they seem to also only enforce the policy on the weekend.

If in fact it was closed off 100%, I assume that also meant no one came and no one left as well seeing as that would only make sense.

I was referring to this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/m-chigeeng-first-nations-manitoulin-island-highway-checkpoints-1.5555552

17 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I don't see how traveling from Mitchell to Cochrane meets the lock down rules for NOT traveling from area to area.  If you do this, then you are no better than the idiots in the GTA that go to each others houses and party etc.  Although your intentions are good, you are breaking the rules like it or not.  Locals in Cochrane could and should report you.

Does that mean that the idiots outside of the GTA that go to each others houses and party etc. are given a pass. I know more idiots outside of the GTA that are having large gatherings than I do inside the GTA. Most of them around southern Georgian Bay... "nobody but nobody is going to tell me I can't party at Christmas" is what many are saying... and not just the young puppies either

17 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Hornepayne Snowbears, not dub...:D..

Anyone really think the Flex Trails will keep all the tresspassing, no trail pass, loosers away? 

Nope... the entitled will always be entitled... you can't fix stupid.

1 hour ago, XTC500 said:

Gonna have to see what the northern hotels and resorts say. May be out of line here but can't see them getting a ton of business from the locals. Sorry to say.   Six Nations down here did shut down the entire area so no one got in to buy their smokes. 

4 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Gonna have to see what the northern hotels and resorts say. May be out of line here but can't see them getting a ton of business from the locals. Sorry to say.   Six Nations down here did shut down the entire area so no one got in to buy their smokes. 

I think the ones with a financial interest in you such as hotels, restaurant owners, will welcome you. But at gas stations, restaurants your likely to run into local patrons that are not as welcoming. 

7 minutes ago, XTC500 said:

I think the ones with a financial interest in you such as hotels, restaurant owners, will welcome you. But at gas stations, restaurants your likely to run into local patrons that are not as welcoming. 

We would obviously like to come north   we are booked.  We are planning on keeping to ourselves. Our group all understands the virus and want to keep ourselves safe too.     let's hope for the best 

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Maybe we can get a tax receipt!!!!

1 hour ago, XTC500 said:

""I had a farmer who came to make a purchase who was told he couldn't come and he just drove through the blockade."

A quote from that article. If it was me I wouldn't even stop, they had no legal leg to stand on here.

20 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

""I had a farmer who came to make a purchase who was told he couldn't come and he just drove through the blockade."

A quote from that article. If it was me I wouldn't even stop, they had no legal leg to stand on here.

There land so polite thing to do is stop no doubt. I went to island this summer just for day. Took ferry across. Can’t wait to go back for weekend next year snd you explore more. 

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

To do so is illegal. I am tired of listening to politicians that have zero respect for our charter rights. Shut down our freedom to move about the country? Perhaps we should stop bringing your goods in by truck. After all, you do not want me there. Starve.

• Like 3