New Lockdown & OFSC trails

chez-nous cest skidoo

We are booked into the Thriftlodge in Cochrane from December 26 to 29, not sure what the plan is after today.

3 minutes ago, Ox said:

I couldn't find a legend for the map.

Am eye blind?

on the lower left you can choose show map layers. but generally for that application Grey is private, green is provincial/national park yellow/orange is crown, the different colours show different land use areas(this is for northern Ontario), from there you can click through to see the actually policy documents to determine what is allowed on a specific land use area.  Lots of info through that application once you spend some time using it.  But not the easiest to navigate superficially.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ox said:

I couldn't find a legend for the map.

Am eye blind?

Just below the Bookmark tab is a box that says Legend

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Would it not be very bad for customer relations if the OFSC decided to go against what the gov't has said is OK?

Hopefully they get the anticipated 25 cm. of snow so there is more than 72 km. of open trail in Cochrane  before those people make the long drive.

I expect the worst and hope for the best...

6 minutes ago, matt17 said:

on the lower left you can choose show map layers. but generally for that application Grey is private, green is provincial/national park yellow/orange is crown, the different colours show different land use areas(this is for northern Ontario), from there you can click through to see the actually policy documents to determine what is allowed on a specific land use area.  Lots of info through that application once you spend some time using it.  But not the easiest to navigate superficially.  

Welcome back Matt!

19 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

A couple other things are that under a grey lockdown essential visitors can't go into nursing homes    so now you can see your loved ones until after Christmas then i believe you wont be able to      also we can have Christmas Mass    all but the ones in grey at this point 

Yup my wife went to visit her dad today. He's in a retirement home, but his dementia has gotten to the point he needs to be in long term care but due to covid it's not happening. Poor guy isn't getting the care he needs(of no fault to the psw's, their not equipped to handle his needs) and she has to gown up to visit him. Doubtful she will be able to now, sad all around. These situations are what people need to be aware when they say it's not big deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Yup my wife went to visit her dad today. He's in a retirement home, but his dementia has gotten to the point he needs to be in long term care but due to covid it's not happening. Poor guy isn't getting the care he needs(of no fault to the psw's, their not equipped to handle his needs) and she has to gown up to visit him. Doubtful she will be able to now, sad all around. These situations are what people need to be aware when they say it's not big deal.

Yup. My Mom was in LTC but did pass away last month. The covid takes a real toll on the residents even when no one has it 

• Sad 1

There was a couple comments about the number of deaths earlier.

What no politicians talk about is the difference in the anticipated death rate that occurs daily and the death rate during Covid?

The Province / Country / City / hospitals expect “X” number of people to pass away every day.  How many people above this number are passing away?   

How far above the natural mortality rate are we?

Or are we actually above the normal mortality rate?

And earlier on in all of this Covid talk one of the Medical associations was saying that to be on the safe side they were classifying any death where Covid was present or appeared to be present a Covid death.  So a massive heart attack victim with a fever was a Covid death while heart attack killed them.

where are the true numbers?

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Just below the Bookmark tab is a box that says Legend

... after clicking on "Map Layers" that is....

Thanks. It still told me where to look - and that it WAS there, I just needed to find it....

OH FOR PETEY"S SAKES! :rolleyes:

Click on Legend and git this:

Refer to Help for Legend details

So then find "Help" under the "Aboot" tab, and get this pop-up:

Partially uintrusted shtuff beyond this click

The application is attempting to load content from 'https://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas'. Do you recognize and trust this URL?

Then open that to a whole new Bible of shtuff....

I guess I'm not that interested....

I already have my Topo's...

edit II:

Now when I went back to it, the legend is "up" now.

Go figger....

Edited by Ox

27 minutes ago, Sksman said:

What no politicians talk about is the difference in the anticipated death rate that occurs daily and the death rate during Covid?

The Province / Country / City / hospitals expect “X” number of people to pass away every day.  How many people above this number are passing away?   

And earlier on in all of this Covid talk one of the Medical associations was saying that to be on the safe side they were classifying any death where Covid was present or appeared to be present a Covid death.  So a massive heart attack victim with a fever was a Covid death while heart attack killed them.

I have wondered this too. It would help eliminate the bias of covid versus actual death cause. What is the typical percent or number per 100,000 that dies from all causes ( all sickness , all suicides,  all gun etc etc for Canada ( or by province) What is trend over past ten years....keeping in mind population growth. Now look and see if all death stats for this weird year 2020 .... shows a significant anomaly ? ..that anamoly increase can then be more accurately attributed to the pandemic. This stat would also account for increased deaths due to pandemics impact re suicides , delayed surgeries etc etc. That in my humble opinion would be a far more truthful way to measure impact of pandemic.  I suspect the number attributed to pandemic would be less than numbers posted nowadays. Still serious but more meaningful statistics. 

• Like 1

moh-provincewide-shutdown-en-2020-12-21.pdf

The above link (let me know if it works) goes to the source document quoted earlier by Piston Lake Cruiser.

Snowmobile trails are to remain open under the lockdown.

See page 19: Outdoor Recreational Amenities

ALSO See next post.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blake G said:

see      I always said race car drivers are athletes    now are we sledders "high performance athletes "   asking for a friend

Interesting that under Closed they list "motorsports" but under  open they list snowmobile trails. better call Saul

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

you mean with a fever and confirmed covid?

10 minutes ago, 528rick said:

Interesting that under Closed they list "motorsports" but under  open they list snowmobile trails. better call Saul

careful. We dont want them to say trails are open but we cant use our motor sports mobile on them! lol

38 minutes ago, Blake G said:

moh-provincewide-shutdown-en-2020-12-21.pdf 513.41 kB · 3 downloads

The above link (let me know if it works) goes to the source document quoted earlier by Piston Lake Cruiser.

Snowmobile trails are to remain open under the lockdown.

See page 19: Outdoor Recreational Amenities

ALSO See next post.

also see on page 26 Southern Ontario goes to Renfrew County and Simcoe Muskoka health units     not an issue since trails won't close 

1 hour ago, Crow said:

My bet is it will be extended. Spring lockdown didn't get rid of it, this one will be no different, as it sounds like the plan is the same. On top of that, the new strain is apparently more easily spread.

No, no, no....it won't be extended.  The 72 hour rule solves everything. 

"Canada will stop incoming flights from the U.K. for 72 hours to prevent the spread of a new coronavirus strain, according to a statement from Health Canada."

• Haha 1