FCMQ OBTAIN YOUR FREE TEMPORARY TRAIL PERMIT

andreyboater

I think it will move me try Quebec trails, we are snowmobiling a lot in Ontario, but never try FCMQ trails. Could anybody give ideas for 2 days trip, I'm thinking to do RAP and jump in and out for a weekend to French side on B101Q to Portage-du-Fort. Any information appreciated. Thanks

Edited by andreyboater
  • Like 1

Not precisely what your looking for but last season my wife who is a very new rider & I trailered to NewLiskeard then rode to Rouyn-Noranda Que, was about 160kms as i recall & was my brides first over-nighter, we stayed at the Comfort Inn, they had a special for snowmobilers during the FCMQ free weekend ... trails were good to excellent & folks were welcoming.

We're planning to make the same trip this year

cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Andrey I can't help you on the PQ side, but if you were starting in Pembroke (Best Western or Holiday Inn), it's a pretty quick trip to the river thru farm country and Canadian Shield terrain. Both hotels have very easy access to TOP A/B.

Depending on how things go this winter I'd like to do some more riding up in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Andrey I can't help you on the PQ side, but if you were starting in Pembroke (Best Western or Holiday Inn), it's a pretty quick trip to the river thru farm country and Canadian Shield terrain. Both hotels have very easy access to TOP A/B.

Depending on how things go this winter I'd like to do some more riding up in that area.

X2. Sometimes snow don’t fly south of pembroke. When I went a few years ago, railway line was solid ice heading south. I didn’t get far heading that direction towards bridge. So had to turn towards round lake area snd  soon as you head west 10 km’s or so, snow was double and loose. Now if I would have had scratches that would have helped no doubt. 

• Thanks 1

Run up TQ386 to the lodge and back from Swisha (cross at Rolphton).  It's a dead end this year, but still a good ride up and back.  Be sure to gas up at Rolphton or at the station right across the river (Lance's).  Once you leave town nothing but empty and closed hunting lodges for 160km up to the lodge.  Great running.  It's all summer use roads.  Be sure to call the lodge before you leave to make sure they will be there and that their fuel tanks have fuel.

https://www.pourvoirielaverendrye.com/english

• Thanks 1

Its not the RAP area, but if you are comfortable with a 300km day, I would leave from Ville Marie, ride to Amos through Rouyn and ride back the next day but through Malartic.   You wont ride the same trail at all.   I did it last year and it was 644kms round trip.  

Look like I scheduled our trip, we are planning to start from Barry's bay to Deep river, Temiscaming, Rapides-des-Joachims, QC, Pembroke, Barry's Bay.  Total around 1000km 5 days. just need a snow and groomed trails:icon_snow:

Ontario 2.png

Quebec.png

Ontario 1.png

Great plan, but right now word is A102Q from Temiscaming towards North Bay will be closed this winter.  It was closed last season due to a construction project in town and sounds like this will be the same this year as well.  Groomer won't fit through the construction area to groom the Ontario side.  I'm hoping this will change, but right now that's what the local club is saying.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, signfan said:

Great plan, but right now word is A102Q from Temiscaming towards North Bay will be closed this winter.  It was closed last season due to a construction project in town and sounds like this will be the same this year as well.  Groomer won't fit through the construction area to groom the Ontario side.  I'm hoping this will change, but right now that's what the local club is saying.

That's sad:( anyway thanks a lot better to know it now then right before trip.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, signfan said:

Correct-Temiscamingue club usually grooms on Ont. side to Little Jocko River but because of interminable work on dam/road over Ottawa R. they can't get groomer across-too wide!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Look like I scheduled our trip, we are planning to start from Barry's bay to Deep river, Temiscaming, Rapides-des-Joachims, QC, Pembroke, Barry's Bay.  Total around 1000km 5 days. just need a snow and groomed trails:icon_snow:

Besides the closed trail mentioned in Signfans post, make sure all your sleds are topped right up in Temiscaming as it is 200 km. to  Joachims with no fuel or anything else for that matter. I've run from Joachims north on 43 as far as 386 and have a friend that did the rest of 43 from Temiskaming. We found very  very little signage on the portion that we rode and my friend said the signage was terrible between Temislaming and Joachims. After that you only have the long steel grated floor bridge to get back over into Ontario.

15 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Besides the closed trail mentioned in Signfans post, make sure all your sleds are topped right up in Temiscaming as it is 200 km. to  Joachims with no fuel or anything else for that matter. I've run from Joachims north on 43 as far as 386 and have a friend that did the rest of 43 from Temiskaming. We found very  very little signage on the portion that we rode and my friend said the signage was terrible between Temislaming and Joachims. After that you only have the long steel grated floor bridge to get back over into Ontario.

Thanks guys, The people on this board is awesome and information is priceless. Look like I need to change all trip, but it's much better then have unexpected  surprises. 

• Like 1

Question... Can we cross a river in Pembroke from Ontario to Quebec trails? Thanks

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I could see it being an issue if there was fresh snow.  If things have been groomed signage shouldn't be an issue.  I've been up 386 and the intersection where TQ43 splitts and 386 starts is pretty obvious if you've read a map ahead of time.  By no means signed great, but there was enough to get by.  Other than getting off TQ 43 onto an ungroomed sideroad I'd say it would be tough to get lost on the 200 km that runs to Temiscaming.  There's no other trail intersections.  Definitely leave either end full of gas.

Sorry I don't have the answer on crossing the Ottawa River at Pembroke.  My guess is it's a no go, but not sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Correct-Temiscamingue club usually grooms on Ont. side to Little Jocko River but because of interminable work on dam/road over Ottawa R. they can't get groomer across-too wide!

Yes sir. Bridge is down to one lane only. Barely fit across last January trucks and trailer. Transport trucks have a hard enough time. Groomer and drag are too wide to drive across.  

4 hours ago, andreyboater said:

Question... Can we cross a river in Pembroke from Ontario to Quebec trails? Thanks

I don't believe there is an organized trail across the river right at Pembroke. I know some guys that rode across from Quebec to Pembroke a number of years ago in the dark and part way across they hit a small ice heave with some open water on the other side of it. They made it across but were understandably not interested in ever doing it again.

• Like 1

I think it has been quite a few years since there was a staked line across the river.

5 hours ago, andreyboater said:

Also doubt it, other than the lake, which is not suggested at all and I believe was open the last time we crossed there.

However, staging in Quyon, QC in the parking lot right across from Gavan's Hotel where the trails starts and crossing over to QC just south of Pembroke, closer to Shawville QC, is what we did a few years ago.

Fairly short drive to QC from ON and from there head to Mont-Laurier or elsewhere......we had to find a accommodations in Maniwaki due to a blown up Doo, but such is life.

Watch out for the Papineau forest though, that place will get you turned around fast and you won't know where you are....GPS would have come in handy there....

• Like 1