Winter 2021

revrnd

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

Well that's it for sledding here. Weather turned to crap yesterday. Sunny and warm +15*, when I went to get my sled shocks yesterday. Then lots of thunder w/ dark clouds. The front & thunderstorm rolled thru around 6.

Club Zoom meeting & we were told our trails are now closed & the groomers returned to the clubhouse. 

I see on the ITG that Old Hastings trails are yellow.

@Turbo Doo You guys have fun up on the Corridor & watch out for transports on the trails.

No Transports on the trail today.  Almost ran over a pine martin coming in the A trail hydro line coming into Hearst.  Poor guy didn't know what to do,  when he had a pack of 900T's running the C note at him...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

No Transports on the trail today.  Almost ran over a pine martin coming in the A trail hydro line coming into Hearst.  Poor guy didn't know what to do,  when he had a pack of 900T's running the C note at him...

Martens are very curious, probably wanted to check out the sleds. We had run away, stop, look back, repeat on the trail north of Hornepayne 1 trip.

I guess the season isn't over in D3

Screenshot_20210313-194954_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e788c7c1a5492eedff256a015f7576c6.jpg

Shows up as a big yellow blob before you zoom in.

Season officially ended here Thursday morning. Daylight revealed what the warm winds did overnight, and continued to do all day Thursday.

Went from sleds going by on the trail behind the house Wednesday night, to motorcycles on the highway, and farm fields completely bare except for the odd sheltered spots.

Pulled some signs and pickets Saturday and closed all our gates.

Will get the rest done this week.

Edited by Crow
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Crow said:

Season officially ended here Thursday morning. Daylight revealed what the warm winds did overnight, and continued to do all day Thursday.

Went from sleds going by on the trail behind the house Wednesday night, to motorcycles on the highway, and farm fields completely bare except for the odd sheltered spots.

Pulled some signs and pickets Saturday and closed all our gates.

Will get the rest done this week.

Same here   buddy came out Wed am to do a bit of testing from adjustments he made so rode the field and trail   pretty much 24 hrs later field is bare and trail almost gone    warm wind and record breaking temps    first motorbike spotting was Thurs 

Yup, was in Langton area yesterday - 2 weeks ago - sleds ripping around on the trails - yesterday - not a flake of snow/base - or anything winter related to be seen.

Crazy how fast it goes.

3 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Yup, was in Langton area yesterday - 2 weeks ago - sleds ripping around on the trails - yesterday - not a flake of snow/base - or anything winter related to be seen.

Crazy how fast it goes.

Same here. Was out over a week ago and no not much snow left. Was all powder this year so it went fast every where pretty much, even with little rain. 

4 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

one good thing is the winter wheat will not get suffocated     Should hopefully grow well this year   

Interestingly Nick, I just pulled the stakes across the road this morning. The field coming out of the far side of the bush is wheat and it doesn't look very good where the trail was especially on the peak of the hill. Will wait and see what some sum and warmth does.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Interestingly Nick, I just pulled the stakes across the road this morning. The field coming out of the far side of the bush is wheat and it doesn't look very good where the trail was especially on the peak of the hill. Will wait and see what some sum and warmth does.

There's lots of chicken crap in here we can spread in that field...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not sure but crop damage has always been a concern as you well know    not a lot of farming experience here but  I remember a quick melt is good     also checking the wheat fields before the winter cant hurt  since maybe it wasnt that good  but if its on the trail that is something clubs have to address with the landowner     we will have wheat next winter  

We've had years where the winter wheat died where the trail was, and others where the only place it survived was under the trail base.

I think most the problem with WW is the cold winds after the melt. This year looks like that kind of year. Snow and ice cover melted Wednesday and wheat had a green tinge to it. We've had cold now for days and very strong winds and wheat beside my house is all brown.

Bro' thinks it's toast, I guess we'll see. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Crow said:

We've had years where the winter wheat died where the trail was, and others where the only place it survived was under the trail base.

I think most the problem with WW is the cold winds after the melt. This year looks like that kind of year. Snow and ice cover melted Wednesday and wheat had a green tinge to it. We've had cold now for days and very strong winds and wheat beside my house is all brown.

Bro' thinks it's toast, I guess we'll see. 

Roots should still be alive. Cold shouldn’t hurt it after melt, it just goes dormant again. Most of our past winter wheat was lost to water damage, when water lays in field due to frozen drains and suffocates it. Never had to destroy a field, usually get on there with some nitrogen early in grow season and greens and thickens right up. Just depends how established it was before winter came, Is biggest factor. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Roots should still be alive. Cold shouldn’t hurt it after melt, it just goes dormant again. Most of our past winter wheat was lost to water damage, when water lays in field due to frozen drains and suffocates it. Never had to destroy a field, usually get on there with some nitrogen early in grow season and greens and thickens right up. Just depends how established it was before winter came, Is biggest factor. 

Hoping you're right, but that's not been our results the last few years we planted it. Gave up on planting it for 3-4 years now, decided to give it a go again. We did switch planters to no-till since we stopped growing it, so maybe will make a difference? But it didn't work out last spring for a lot of acres around out area last spring the neighbors planted either. This may be the deciding year if we try again or not.

On a side note, trails crossed 4 of our WW fields this season, just how things worked out. I put up seeded area signs on 1 as I didn't have more at the time, and lazily didn't put up more when I did get some. Turns out that the one that had signs, was the only one the clowns drove all over.:wtf:

F'n rebels I guess.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Crow said:

Hoping you're right, but that's not been our results the last few years we planted it. Gave up on planting it for 3-4 years now, decided to give it a go again. We did switch planters to no-till since we stopped growing it, so maybe will make a difference? But it didn't work out last spring for a lot of acres around out area last spring the neighbors planted either. This may be the deciding year if we try again or not.

On a side note, trails crossed 4 of our WW fields this season, just how things worked out. I put up seeded area signs on 1 as I didn't have more at the time, and lazily didn't put up more when I did get some. Turns out that the one that had signs, was the only one the clowns drove all over.:wtf:

F'n rebels I guess.

Maybe should put up signs saying plowed field with a broken snowmobile sign. Can’t fix stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha, might work next year. 

Low snow year here was easy to tell plowed, from corn stubble, to flat fields. They never seem to want to run on with on the first two.

Last pics on the snow for this winter

20210318_004107.thumb.jpg.ea97a4ca3b59259844e6dc174d3c34c5.jpg

20210318_004137.thumb.jpg.387f9113eb8af911a8ca33e4b1bcf13e.jpg

Still good snow cover on the yard & what wasn't snow-covered was frozen. Sled went into the shed fairly clean.

About trail riding preferences, I enjoy riding up north because I can open it up and not have to ride like that someone is going to be on my side of the trail @ every blind corner or hill. Yes you still have to be careful, but for the most parts the sight lines are better.

Hopefully things will improve over the off-season & the sled shows return. 

If you're going to be in my neck of the woods this summer as some of you guys are into bikes, let me know & we can possibly chat.

If not, see you @ the shows or on the snow next winter

• Like 7

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

Still good snow cover on the yard & what wasn't snow-covered was frozen. Sled went into the shed fairly clean.

About trail riding preferences, I enjoy riding up north because I can open it up and not have to ride that someone is going to be on my side of the trail @ every blind corner or hill. Yes you still have to be careful, but for the most parts the sight lines are better.

If you're going to be in my neck of the woods this summer as some of you guys are into bikes, let me know & we can possibly chat.

Bikes as in motorcycles, quads, dirtbike ?

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Bikes as in motorcycles, quads, dirtbike ?

Yes

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

About trail riding preferences, I enjoy riding up north because I can open it up and not have to ride like that someone is going to be on my side of the trail @ every blind corner or hill. Yes you still have to be careful, but for the most parts the sight lines are better.

We can chat here to eh..:poke2:. It sounds like your packing it in. Not posting here until next winter.  I'm done, forget it..:tongue2:

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Haha 1

Oh I'll be around here LOL

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I know, just having some fun..8-)

Time to post Ranger pics LOL

• Like 1

For me snowmobile season 20/21 officially closed:D

No alcohol involved:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4