Winter 2021

revrnd

Another important factor with now studs is you need less bite up front, that can give you an easier steering effort.....too mush bite and no studs, creates more issues in the corners.

14 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

Current ride is a 19 ZR8000. Have ridden everything from 470 SkiDoo to ZRT800x2.

Ride everywhere from southern Ontario (home) to the northern corridor.

And bullshit on the 100% of conditions. You trying to convince me that in fresh snow a 1/4 round pin sticking out of a track makes a difference? Not a chance. Either you haven't ridden a sled without studs in so long that you have forgot what it's like, or you are brainwashed.

Oh, and of the 12 guys I regularly ride with, 1 is studded.

X2...

30 minutes ago, stoney said:

LOL....I believe we ride in the same areas some of the times and there is no lie, I have no issues 95% of the time riding with no studs in those same area's.

Granted, I have not ran anything less than a 1.5" track since I opted to stop using studs, other than the Doo rental I was on last year and I think it had the 1.25" track, but zero issues with that.

You need to adjust your riding knowing you do not have them when the situations present themselves.

Wind blown lakes are not very common around these areas, but that is onw situation you need to be very careful of......one of reason I do not like Lake Simcoe, too much wind blown bare patches with less snow and more milder temps around here.

It is defiantly a personal preference......but I agree, kids and/or wife would have studs, one less thing that I want them having to think about until they feel the need to not want them and show they are able to ride safely without.

No issues vs superior handling and braking are 2 different things.

I can drive my car with bald tires with no issues too - but I would prefer to do it with good tires.

To each their own.

Same conditions - studded vs non-studded - I know who will come out at the other end quicker.

Edited by Spiderman
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

Current ride is a 19 ZR8000. Have ridden everything from 470 SkiDoo to ZRT800x2.

Ride everywhere from southern Ontario (home) to the northern corridor.

And bullshit on the 100% of conditions. You trying to convince me that in fresh snow a 1/4 round pin sticking out of a track makes a difference? Not a chance. Either you haven't ridden a sled without studs in so long that you have forgot what it's like, or you are brainwashed.

Oh, and of the 12 guys I regularly ride with, 1 is studded.

Groomed trails - studded is superior for traction and braking.

Fresh snow - duh - come on man - nobody is that dumb here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spiderman said:

No issues vs superior handling and braking are 2 different things.

I can drive my car with bald tires with no issues too - but I would prefer to do it with good tires.

To each their own.

Same conditions - studded vs non-studded - I know who will come out at the other end quicker.

Maybe we can find out one of these days......LOL.

If I choose to ride with a little more spirit, the difference between those falling behind or ahead, is not who does or does not have studs!

But yes, to each their own and it is all good......just make sure ya have a pass, studs or not, matter not for riding companions :)

• Like 1

Kid just picked up his new ride and we will put some screw in studs into the 1.6 cobra track he has

I personally dont want any studs anymore. im happy with the 1.6 ice ripper

daughter or wife will get studs

• Like 1

Bought a 136" pre-installed-studded ice ripper type track way back when they first came to market... hated it. I was disappointed with the lack of penetration compared to a good stud. Also found the points to wear and dull down way ahead of the life of the track. The track itself was a thumper. Worst out of balance track I have ever encountered. I took the loss and bought a new track and went back to studs - never looked back.

As previously mentioned here about Lake Simcoe... Before moving to Haliburton, I used to live near Queensville and did all of my sledding around Cooks Bay / Holland River. You learn VERY quickly about the reasons for studding. Also mentioned here was the nightmare of making it 3/4 the way up an icy hill and rolling backwards - nothing more needed to say about that ! 

To all the guys who have modded their turbos well past the 200 hp mark and no studs ? gotta laugh at that. 

However, this topic comes up in this forum EVERY year and is about as pointless as the other annual laugh fests :

• What's the best oil ?
  • What's the best belt ?
  • What's the best sled ?
  • Hand signals
  • ad infinitum

Have at it. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Bought a 136" pre-installed-studded ice ripper type track way back when they first came to market... hated it. I was disappointed with the lack of penetration compared to a good stud. Also found the points to wear and dull down way ahead of the life of the track. The track itself was a thumper. Worst out of balance track I have ever encountered. I took the loss and bought a new track and went back to studs - never looked back.

As previously mentioned here about Lake Simcoe... Before moving to Haliburton, I used to live near Queensville and did all of my sledding around Cooks Bay / Holland River. You learn VERY quickly about the reasons for studding. Also mentioned here was the nightmare of making it 3/4 the way up an icy hill and rolling backwards - nothing more needed to say about that ! 

To all the guys who have modded their turbos well past the 200 hp mark and no studs ? gotta laugh at that. 

However, this topic comes up in this forum EVERY year and is about as pointless as the other annual laugh fests :

• What's the best oil ?
  • What's the best belt ?
  • What's the best sled ?
  • Hand signals
  • ad infinitum

Agree 100% especially with your list of other pointless conversations.  But I do like studs especially my male stud!!!  Woot woot.  Happy sledding folks

Edited by extreme600
added comment
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

• What's the best oil ?
  • What's the best belt ?
  • What's the best sled ?
  • Hand signals
  • ad infinitum

But isn't that part of the fun regarding sledding......discussing / disputing these things, over and over and over again.....

• What's the best oil  - synthetic
  • What's the best belt - the one that works best for you
  • What's the best sled - I have a feeling my mind on this one might be swayed in about 10 months.....
  • Hand signals - weren't they banned a little while ago

35 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

To each their own.

Lol. OK.

2 minutes ago, whits-end said:

Yes, I have an opinion about this, don't need to discuss it.

Its a sled forum with people discussing sled stuff -  insanity :)

14 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

• What's the best oil ?
  • What's the best belt ?
  • What's the best sled ?
  • Hand signals
  • ad infinitum

Don't forget about what a rip off the cost of a pass is.

If you're going to make a list - make it accurrate.

6 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

•  
  • What's the best belt ?
  •  
  •  
  •  

Easily loosened after a good meal....makes for easier riding later....

1177235691_bestbelt.jpg.6786caf9b76ce187b1e83da4801679ae.jpg

slomo tested and approved. Available at Mark's Workwear House. Picture from Amazon.ca

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

They are a pain to remove. Spent a couple hours last night with a buddy. Still about 30 that we couldn’t remove because the Allen key in the back won’t hold a key. It will be a grinder and wheel for those.

No significant damage to the track at least.

BE1C3ECE-4ECA-4155-A140-79ABD87F7368.jpeg

52B14F5D-29B0-4447-B0B9-6F1552759CCF.jpeg

well the price of scrap is up a bit :icon_lolsign::rotflmao:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, stoney said:

Another important factor with now studs is you need less bite up front, that can give you an easier steering effort.....too mush bite and no studs, creates more issues in the corners.

I've never been a big believer in this idea. I run 4inch carbides on my Cat with 135 studs on a 129. The wife's Vector had Tuner skis with dual 6 inch carbides and 96 studs in the 120 track. I only put 6" on hers because that was all they had in stock at the time. I would have put 2 - 4's if I was picking.

On my old Renegade 1200 I ran 6 inch carbides in the 5.7 ski with a 4" on the outsides. Track had 144 studs and I went with 1/4 inch over paddle length.

But I prefer light handling to razor sharp cornering and pulling the skis out of a corner to sliding the rear end.

As has been said, to each there own. Everyone likes what they like. Although I will look differently at some of you now.   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

well the price of scrap is up a bit :icon_lolsign::rotflmao:

Going to keep the studs I think. The backers and nuts took all of the beating. Will use them in the wife's next sled.

And if you are referring to my Cat. No sir, it's staying for another couple years.

Hell, if I haven't done any damage to the engine in the past 2 rides with emptying it of oil and then coolant, it deserves to stay for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Going to keep the studs I think. The backers and nuts took all of the beating. Will use them in the wife's next sled.

And if you are referring to my Cat. No sir, it's staying for another couple years.

Hell, if I haven't done any damage to the engine in the past 2 rides with emptying it of oil and then coolant, it deserves to stay for a while.

:right_on:

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

As has been said, to each there own. Everyone likes what they like. Although I will look differently at some of you now.   :rolleyes:

It all comes down to rider preference. Reminds me of a co-worker that raced the Formula Ford class in the CASC series back in the 90s. He switched cars 1 practice w/ a driver that he usually ran 1-2 in qualifying. He took a few hot laps in it & found it undriveable.

9 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

ice ripper works except on full ice.

Ice with zero snow is the only time studs make a difference  for me. Otherwise I much prefer a ton of carbide and no studs. My set up may cause many that have ridden with studs for a lot of years to see the ass end come around and pass them, but when you know how to handle it, for me it just works. Now stopping on an icy trail, you lose a lot, but for 90% of trail riding I find it better and more fun. I do not race and do not pin it on trails when starting out so track spin on hard pack is not an issue. No doubt, if you are on hard pack and feel the need to pin it out of every corner, studs are better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I've never been a big believer in this idea. I run 4inch carbides on my Cat with 135 studs on a 129. The wife's Vector had Tuner skis with dual 6 inch carbides and 96 studs in the 120 track. I only put 6" on hers because that was all they had in stock at the time. I would have put 2 - 4's if I was picking.

On my old Renegade 1200 I ran 6 inch carbides in the 5.7 ski with a 4" on the outsides. Track had 144 studs and I went with 1/4 inch over paddle length.

But I prefer light handling to razor sharp cornering and pulling the skis out of a corner to sliding the rear end.

No doubt there is a lot at play that will affect the bite no doubt, take away the rider input and there are plenty of things that will affect it from amount of carbide, type of ski, front shock pressure, center shock pressure, limiter strap adjustment, etc....

I know all the sleds that I have owned, I have always had them dialed in to work very well with my riding style.....but for someone else and the way they ride, might not be ideal.

I have been very impressed with Curve skis for bite and lightness....and I tend to run more carbide than I should with no studs, but it works.

As for looking differently at folks, I got to say, between loosing all your engine oil and now your coolant, I am starting to have serious doubt about you as well :)

• Haha 1

It's a personal preference. I ran with no studs for years and years, then in '03 I decided to stud a new sled when the Mrs got her own ride. I liked it better than without, so studded my own.

Traded my sled in, and decided to save a few bucks and not stud new one. Rode it that way for 5 seasons (because I'm cheap) and never really enjoyed it, always worried the ass end would come around in the right right handers and clip someone, or not get stopped quick enough, and crossing the roads, what a PITA, carbides dig in and track just spins.

Studded it prior to last season, made those problems go away. 

I will never be without real studs again, no IR for me either. 

That's my personal preference anyway.

19 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Kid just picked up his new ride and we will put some screw in studs into the 1.6 cobra track he has

I personally dont want any studs anymore. im happy with the 1.6 ice ripper

daughter or wife will get studs

So speaking of studs   how do these screw in ones work ?   this has never been talked about in the garage meetings :icon_lolsign:    How secure are they and are heat exchange protectors needed       I guess the IR has the studs molded in at manufacture ?   I do have studs on the sleds and was thinking of skipping the 600 sport but may  try this idea