Winter 2021

revrnd

@Turbo Doo The section of E107 on the forest access road is pretty much the only 'quick' riding in the area. I guess I could ride up & down it all day & pretend I was up north LOL Max speed on the GPS for the lake was 72...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Let me know how it is north of Hwy 7. @Bigfish & I turned around west of the Reptile Zoo. He had run it last Sat' & said the snow was a bit thin. I have to go to Ptbo on Tues', I might haul the sled w/ me & stage east of Havelock & tour around those trails. I haven't ridden down there since '07 or '08.

LOL I was thinking of you & @Evil on that eastern stretch. I checked on the BaseMaps & it's about 4 miles of 'straight' riding. The 'track' was pretty much the same all the way. Saw 4 other sleds on the lake.

On E107 I caught up to a girl riding solo on a Yammi. Not too fast and not too slow, so I was just content to follow. She turned back to look & saw me, she pulled me over & waved me by. I waved & continued. I got up to the 'plantation' as we call it on E107 & there was a guy sitting on a sled having a smoke. I stopped & asked him if he was waiting for a girl. He said "yes". "OK, I passed her just south of the deer feeder." "She's a new rider and I'm just letting her ride at her pace". "She was doing fine from what I could see". "

A couple of minutes later she pulled up & shut her sled off.

"I hope I wasn't holding you up!" "No you were doing fine. I figured you'd look back and see me. Besides I wasn't in a big hurry". That section of E107 doesn't lend itself to quick riding.

:icon_steer::right_on:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

Ran Stoney Lake today. No stake line, but a good packed trail from Viamede to Log Cabin Store (Reid's Store). Very small slush spot east of where the trail goes thru the islands. Good speed running.

May be an image of snow, tree, nature and road

E107 near Jack's Lake, looking south.

May be an image of nature

Looking north

May be an image of road and tree

Viamede turnoff on E107

May be an image of motorcycle, snow and road

New Highway 28 bridge over Eels Creek at Haultain.

May be an image of train and outdoors

Still work to be done on the southbound side of the bridge.

No description available.

Trail runs thru property owned by a couple that I know.

May be an image of snow, tree, nature and sky

Heading east on Stoney by the 'Duck Pond' roads.

May be an image of snow, tree, nature and ski slope

Not sure what this part of the lake is called but it's kind of funny. A lake as big as Stoney and the trail goes thru this tight little narrows.

May be an image of nature and snow

Heading east to the Log Cabin Store (Reid's Store). They have regular and premium gas.

May be an image of road

Stopped at the 702/707 intersection. 707 goes east across Kasshabog to E107.

lookin good     very good

• Thanks 1

Just did some math. 1302 klicks or 807 miles so far.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:01 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Or Aberfoyle AC..

On 2/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, zoso said:

Their parts department is slow slow slow.

Yes they are but they did finally call me back, I got my order in and picked it up.

I've bought parts there 3 times now and it always feels like they are doing me a favor.

They had 2 belts in stock for my sled. WTF?

And they close at 4pm on a Friday.

She's all fixed now.

I like to do business with Steve at Unlimited but he must have been busy cause he took the phone off the hook. :rotflmao:

Edited by Blackstar

It's been a fun season so far. I haven't had the sled on the trails since 2017. Covid shut minor hockey down so I suddenly found myself with a bunch of spare time not coaching my son's teams 5+ days a week. Bought a pass on Feb 7 and as of 21:30 tonight have 417KM racked up. All local, all right from my front door and all worth every penny. Huge props to Rideau Ridge Riders for getting out there and grooming the crap out of what we've received. The season is short, don't screw around. Work with what you have!

Calling for 20-30cm locally by next Friday. Likely wishful thinking but it would be incredible for the local trails if it happens!

20210208_142156.jpg

20210213_163127.jpg

• Like 3

Yes 2021 has produced a gratifying local snowmobile season so far and it looks like it will last at least two more weeks. Replaced my sled this year with a used 2018 similar model with only 2000 km on it. I have put almost that mileage on it in seven local day rides so far. Thank you D4, 5 and 9 volunteers and staffers. The trails have been in great shape even before we got good snow depth. Only down side is the trail that continues to be lost because of cement heads riding off the well marked trails. Every time out, I have been disgusted at all the tracks off the trail. I hope a lot of it has been from locals who have received the land owners' permission, but somehow I doubt it.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:33 PM, revrnd said:

Let me know how it is north of Hwy 7. @Bigfish & I turned around west of the Reptile Zoo. He had run it last Sat' & said the snow was a bit thin. I have to go to Ptbo on Tues', I might haul the sled w/ me & stage east of Havelock & tour around those trails. I haven't ridden down there since '07 or '08.

Completed 220km trip from Peterborough to Stoney Lake and back. A great day for a ride with two friends and social distancing. We brought our own lunches and ate them on the trail. The pictures Revrnd posted was exactly what we also experienced. Great conditions north of Hwy7. Stoney Lake was a beautiful site to see. Many people walking, skating fishing and snowmobiling. Lake was smooth and staked but still showing red (no idea why). Trails south of 7 were very good for the lack of snow. Near to road crossings were lacking in snow and some exposed stone on the rail line.  

We stopped in Havelock to get fuel and the trail to the Petro Canada was not the best. A back trail to avoid the homes and down a sidewalk to the Petro Canada/Tim's parking lot. I don't ever plan to do that ride again. I'll fill up in Norwood instead.

First picture is the parking lot in Peterborough. I thought showing up at 9am the lot would be full. There was plenty of room. 
Second picture was at the entrance of a couple of fields. I laughed all the way through these fields. 

20210213_093136.jpg

20210213_103955.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Completed 220km trip from Peterborough to Stoney Lake and back. A great day for a ride with two friends and social distancing. We brought our own lunches and ate them on the trail. The pictures Revrnd posted was exactly what we also experienced. Great conditions north of Hwy7. Stoney Lake was a beautiful site to see. Many people walking, skating fishing and snowmobiling. Lake was smooth and staked but still showing red (no idea why). Trails south of 7 were very good for the lack of snow. Near to road crossings were lacking in snow and some exposed stone on the rail line.  

We stopped in Havelock to get fuel and the trail to the Petro Canada was not the best. A back trail to avoid the homes and down a sidewalk to the Petro Canada/Tim's parking lot. I don't ever plan to do that ride again. I'll fill up in Norwood instead.

First picture is the parking lot in Peterborough. I thought showing up at 9am the lot would be full. There was plenty of room. 
Second picture was at the entrance of a couple of fields. I laughed all the way through these fields. 

20210213_103955.jpg

I think they mean trail... Saw one as we rode up towards Hwy 7.

A late start but managed to put on 221 klicks. My buddy w/ the new Rene' was hoping to ride, but had to work today :(

Staged @ Coe Hill, a popular spot by the look of things. Lots of sleds out but nothing alarming.

Turned around at the top of Mason's Hill north of the old Martin Lumber sawmill. Peterson Road to Maynooth on the right. Rode up MLSS #178. It has been years since I've ridden north off E109. Turns out 178 is a long stretch of road running. Luckily snowcovered. Mink lake is the alternative, but there are a couple of spots to be aware of due to bad ice, so land trail it was.

There was logging in the area of the B106E/178 earlier so as a result snow cover on the forest access road east to Hwy 127 could be better. This can be bypassed using 177, it was fine.

Looking south

May be an image of snow, nature, road and sky

B106E south of MLSS 177. Caught up to the groomer south of the Hwy 127 road crossing.

May be an image of motorcycle, snow, nature and road

Dad and the kids out for a ride. I had caught up to them on the 177. Looked to be good future riders. I waved as I passed and they waved back quite happy.

Dad stopped to ask if everything was OK and I gave him the thumbs up.

May be an image of snowmobile, snow, ski slope and nature

Stopped at the E109 junction south of Lake St Peter. I had taken it to do the loop.

Southbound on B106E by the Musclow Greenview Road. 

Just north of the 'bicycle setup' near Bird's Creek. Several rigs parked @ the lot there went I went by earlier all but 2 had left when I returned.

May be an image of sky, nature and road

TOP E between Brinklow Rd and Ormsby Jct. One of my favourite stretches of the railbed.

May be an image of snowmobile, nature and snow

Back at the Coe Hill staging lot. Passed the Old Hastings Trail Boss(?) groomer west of Ormsby Jct. Two other rigs besides mine still parked. There's a floodlight to keep the area lit.

• Like 6

To say this season has been good would be an understatement. At 3800kms riding in District 5 and 9. And most of those riding directly out my door just west of London. Heading out for a short ride again today, then leaving Thursday to ride Sudbury area for a change of scenery. Then the following weekend in Haliburton area with my son. Pretty sure it is going to be a 5000km+ season.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

To say this season has been good would be an understatement. At 3800kms riding in District 5 and 9. And most of those riding directly out my door just west of London. Heading out for a short ride again today, then leaving Thursday to ride Sudbury area for a change of scenery. Then the following weekend in Haliburton area with my son. Pretty sure it is going to be a 5000km+ season.

It is very good for the sport when these districts, especially 5, have open trails!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zertrider said:

Ggive me a shout when you get up here.

Where are you staying ?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Ggive me a shout when you get up here.

Where are you staying ?

Good friend of mine lives right on the C115D trail in Hanmer. Planning to stay at his place.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

I think they mean trail... Saw one as we rode up towards Hwy 7.

A late start but managed to put on 221 klicks. My buddy w/ the new Rene' was hoping to ride, but had to work today :(

Staged @ Coe Hill, a popular spot by the look of things. Lots of sleds out but nothing alarming.

Turned around at the top of Mason's Hill north of the old Martin Lumber sawmill. Peterson Road to Maynooth on the right. Rode up MLSS #178. It has been years since I've ridden north off E109. Turns out 178 is a long stretch of road running. Luckily snowcovered. Mink lake is the alternative, but there are a couple of spots to be aware of due to bad ice, so land trail it was.

There was logging in the area of the B106E/178 earlier so as a result snow cover on the forest access road east to Hwy 127 could be better. This can be bypassed using 177, it was fine.

Looking south

May be an image of snow, nature, road and sky

B106E south of MLSS 177. Caught up to the groomer south of the Hwy 127 road crossing.

May be an image of motorcycle, snow, nature and road

Dad and the kids out for a ride. I had caught up to them on the 177. Looked to be good future riders. I waved as I passed and they waved back quite happy.

Dad stopped to ask if everything was OK and I gave him the thumbs up.

May be an image of snowmobile, snow, ski slope and nature

Stopped at the E109 junction south of Lake St Peter. I had taken it to do the loop.

Southbound on B106E by the Musclow Greenview Road. 

Just north of the 'bicycle setup' near Bird's Creek. Several rigs parked @ the lot there went I went by earlier all but 2 had left when I returned.

May be an image of sky, nature and road

TOP E between Brinklow Rd and Ormsby Jct. One of my favourite stretches of the railbed.

May be an image of snowmobile, nature and snow

Back at the Coe Hill staging lot. Passed the Old Hastings Trail Boss(?) groomer west of Ormsby Jct. Two other rigs besides mine still parked. There's a floodlight to keep the area lit.

I see the lights on the snow, more night time riding eh?. Huh, Huh?. :rotflmao:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Turbo Doo said:

I see the lights on the snow, more night time riding eh?. Huh, Huh?. :rotflmao:

It was dusk LOL

8 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I know, just kicking up some dust here..:poke2::ph34r:

I'm pretty sure you're the reason I took the pic!

10 hours ago, Zertrider said:

Good friend of mine lives right on the C115D trail in Hanmer. Planning to stay at his place.

Give me a shout anyways.

I'm 15 mins from hanmer

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Give me a shout anyways.

I'm 15 mins from hanmer

Will do.

8 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Who is ready for this big bad winter storm coming. Going to hammer us. What, with 10 to 15 cms. :icon_gunhead:.. Its good the weather girls at TWN, look good. :w00t:

We got 2" overnight. Will let you know what we get tomorrow.

We got smoked here in the Steel City, buried.

On the plus side - went riding Sunday and my goodness was that a lot of fun and just what I needed to feel some normal.

Enjoy riding folks.

• Like 2

A bit south of Pearson airport I opened the front door to a foot of snow against the door. Fluctuating in the driveway... between calf and knee deep.