Winter 2021

revrnd

On 2/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, revrnd said:

I guess you leave the truck running in that weather :o

I dont know what the deal was when I was filling up a 5 gallon can this afternoon. Old guy pulls up to the pumps in a fairly new pick up to fill it. I didn't realize until I had finished & was carrying the can over to my truck that his was still running. Three things came to mind:

A: Isn't it illegal to leave a vehicle running while fueling?

B: It wasn't a diesel

C: It wasn't all that cold FFS!

Got back from edmonton this afternoon, fueling in -38 is not fun, pump hoses are like steel. Truck ran entire trip, never was shut down. A driver washed a truck in our winnipeg terminal, parked it outside and went home. Thing was an ice sculpture. Took two days to get it going....new guy, not very smart. We went pin to pin so only got out for fuel, daily inspections and to switch out the trailer. Turned and burned out of Ontario on our way to calgary. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zoso said:

Got back from edmonton this afternoon, fueling in -38 is not fun, pump hoses are like steel. Truck ran entire trip, never was shut down. A driver washed a truck in our winnipeg terminal, parked it outside and went home. Thing was an ice sculpture. Took two days to get it going....new guy, not very smart. We went pin to pin so only got out for fuel, daily inspections and to switch out the trailer. Turned and burned out of Ontario on our way to calgary. 

zoso - do those drivers on the "Ice Road Truckers" shows get a premium rate for driving or what? 

11 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

The west side of the hwy tunnel in hgr territory was full of water with a nasty frozen trench right up to the running boards at the exit on sunday. Hopefully its fixed up by now. Got my new sled all dirty! Port Sydney got hammered with snow, this was on Clearwater lake on sunday. 2 feet of fresh yum yums! 

B6986C1C-34F4-4BE9-97D7-F4C06EA505EC.jpeg

Thanks, Steve...I was wondering why it was blocked with caution tape...we went by it on the east side of the highway late afternoon yesterday.

13 hours ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Great day in Muskoka was on many trails today north and south of Huntsville and almost ended up in the forbidden zone (Kearney) , did 180 km 80% was well groom , some nasties (95 and 82) . Even saw some sunshine today!!

IMG_20210209_115526.jpg

IMG_20210209_121459.jpg

IMG_20210209_122852.jpg

IMG_20210209_163933.jpg

IMG_20210209_163941.jpg

Ditto for 2 of us, riding out of Pt. Sydney yesterday...unreal how much new snow in that area. We did a nice 175 km round trip in N/E Muskoka...had our trailside lunch at Oxtongue Rapids, and even took a pic of same sign you did, Muskoka Bill...

PXL_20210209_191805634.thumb.jpg.8e9783b3df583655153573a4fdc9f894.jpgPXL_20210209_191824289.thumb.jpg.dc46712615a7e11a7b019e8959ba6433.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, irREVerent said:

Ditto for 2 of us, riding out of Pt. Sydney yesterday...unreal how much new snow in that area. We did a nice 175 km round trip in N/E Muskoka...had our trailside lunch at Oxtongue Rapids, and even took a pic of same sign you did, Muskoka Bill...

PXL_20210209_191805634.thumb.jpg.8e9783b3df583655153573a4fdc9f894.jpgPXL_20210209_191824289.thumb.jpg.dc46712615a7e11a7b019e8959ba6433.jpg

How far north did you ride? Just curious if you were up by the Billie Bear or Dotty area.

30 minutes ago, revrnd said:

How far north did you ride? Just curious if you were up by the Billie Bear or Dotty area.

Nope, sorry revrnd... didn't get that far north.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, irREVerent said:

Nope, sorry revrnd... didn't get that far north.

No prob'

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

We rode the d101 in that area on saturday. Dorset up to the ASC hut, still scraping the odd rock,  ASC hut to dwight, still needed snow too. In all honesty it was still good though, even in a good snow year you're still scraping the odd rock in that area. Will be better now that the new snow is packed. Hoping to get north of kawagama this weekend to ride the 65 66 67 trails.  

66E063B0-202A-4EFA-A8DD-DD66C58CD27A.jpeg

Edited by Steve F6
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I have a friend that cottages on Oxbow (D101B goes past her driveway) & wanted to update her on the conditions.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, slomo said:

It seems like we are a month behind "normal" years...the month of November was generally a write off for any kind of outdoor activity ...this year there was two weeks of warm weather and the useless weather started up in December. No real snow I can see forecast anywhere in the immediate future, but holding out hope for January.

True but up in grey bruce we have more snow than we've had in many years.  Seems certain areas get it and others dont'. Mrs and I love the route between Point a baril and Kearney. Never went green last year. This year looks to be closed for other (stupid) reasons.  Snow goes where it goes..lol

1 minute ago, Puggz said:

True but up in grey bruce we have more snow than we've had in many years.  Seems certain areas get it and others dont'. Mrs and I love the route between Point a baril and Kearney. Never went green last year. This year looks to be closed for other (stupid) reasons.  Snow goes where it goes..lol

But it is always in the northern corridor. I got good news. In laws are moving to longlac. Looks like I may have toi visit mnore often.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 10:11 PM, zoso said:

Reminds me of the time with coldfinger and crew in st Raymond. First dezul pumps frozen but second one worked. And it was only 32 below. Can't believe the Chevy even started.  Hoses were stiff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bookended day yesterday.

Blew a belt in the first 10 minutes. Followed by 300 kms of flat trails, sunshine and good times.

Then the motor shut off 30 minutes from the truck. Oil spewing from every corner of the belly pan.

Got it taken apart last night and the oil filter backed off. Drained the motor and tank and only got 3 tablespoons of oil. Hopefully there is no internal damage.

Trying to get a new filter and belt right now and no dealers are answering the phones. :rotflmao: I love this sport.

990E1308-C8CA-4A1B-9541-5D156FE53BFB.thumb.jpeg.35ce4c8fe0b01e700ded0b01a056992a.jpeg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Bookended day yesterday.

Blew a belt in the first 10 minutes. Followed by 300 kms of flat trails, sunshine and good times.

Then the motor shut off 30 minutes from the truck. Oil spewing from every corner of the belly pan.

Got it taken apart last night and the oil filter backed off. Drained the motor and tank and only got 3 tablespoons of oil. Hopefully there is no internal damage.

Trying to get a new filter and belt right now and no dealers are answering the phones. :rotflmao: I love this sport.

990E1308-C8CA-4A1B-9541-5D156FE53BFB.thumb.jpeg.35ce4c8fe0b01e700ded0b01a056992a.jpeg

Oh snap, that is not good......perhaps another trade in along with the Doo.

I recently bought some Cat parks from Barrie Powersports (I know far from you), answering was no issue and had all that I needed, surprisingly.

There is big CAT dealer just West of you, their name is escaping me right now, they usually used to have all the deals on non current sleds.

Country Corners I believe is the name.

Edited by stoney

B&K in brodhagen!

19 minutes ago, stoney said:

I recently bought some Cat parks from Barrie Powersports (I know far from you), answering was no issue and had all that I needed, surprisingly.

There is big CAT dealer just West of you, their name is escaping me right now, they usually used to have all the deals on non current sleds.

Country Corners I believe is the 

20 minutes ago, stoney said:

Country Corners I believe is the name.

Or Aberfoyle AC..

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Bookended day yesterday.

Filter is at canadian tire

Ran Stoney Lake today. No stake line, but a good packed trail from Viamede to Log Cabin Store (Reid's Store). Very small slush spot east of where the trail goes thru the islands. Good speed running.

May be an image of snow, tree, nature and road

E107 near Jack's Lake, looking south.

May be an image of nature

Looking north

May be an image of road and tree

Viamede turnoff on E107

May be an image of motorcycle, snow and road

New Highway 28 bridge over Eels Creek at Haultain.

May be an image of train and outdoors

Still work to be done on the southbound side of the bridge.

No description available.

Trail runs thru property owned by a couple that I know.

May be an image of snow, tree, nature and sky

Heading east on Stoney by the 'Duck Pond' roads.

May be an image of snow, tree, nature and ski slope

Not sure what this part of the lake is called but it's kind of funny. A lake as big as Stoney and the trail goes thru this tight little narrows.

May be an image of nature and snow

Heading east to the Log Cabin Store (Reid's Store). They have regular and premium gas.

May be an image of road

Stopped at the 702/707 intersection. 707 goes east across Kasshabog to E107.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Ran Stoney Lake today. No stake line, but a good packed trail from Viamede to Log Cabin Store (Reid's Store). Very small slush spot east of where the trail goes thru the islands. Good speed running.

Looking north

Viamede turnoff on E107

Not sure what this part of the lake is called but it's kind of funny. A lake as big as Stoney and the trail goes thru this tight little narrows.

Heading east to the Log Cabin Store (Reid's Store). They have regular and premium gas.

May be an image of road

Thanks Revrnd, I am riding tomorrow from Peterborough to Stoney lake and loop back. looks like I should have a good ride. Heading out at 9am for the day. First ride of the season. 

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Looking north

Viamede turnoff on E107

May be an image of road

Good speed running,  wait, how come there was no message to come social distance mental health exercise with you today?. Huh?.  Great pics BTW..

Edited by Turbo Doo

23 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Thanks Revrnd, I am riding tomorrow from Peterborough to Stoney lake and loop back. looks like I should have a good ride. Heading out at 9am for the day. First ride of the season. 

Jerry

Let me know how it is north of Hwy 7. @Bigfish & I turned around west of the Reptile Zoo. He had run it last Sat' & said the snow was a bit thin. I have to go to Ptbo on Tues', I might haul the sled w/ me & stage east of Havelock & tour around those trails. I haven't ridden down there since '07 or '08.

5 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Good speed running,  wait, how come there was no message to come social distance mental health exercise with you today?. Huh?.  Great pics BTW..

LOL I was thinking of you & @Evil on that eastern stretch. I checked on the BaseMaps & it's about 4 miles of 'straight' riding. The 'track' was pretty much the same all the way. Saw 4 other sleds on the lake.

On E107 I caught up to a girl riding solo on a Yammi. Not too fast and not too slow, so I was just content to follow. She turned back to look & saw me, she pulled me over & waved me by. I waved & continued. I got up to the 'plantation' as we call it on E107 & there was a guy sitting on a sled having a smoke. I stopped & asked him if he was waiting for a girl. He said "yes". "OK, I passed her just south of the deer feeder." "She's a new rider and I'm just letting her ride at her pace". "She was doing fine from what I could see". "

A couple of minutes later she pulled up & shut her sled off.

"I hope I wasn't holding you up!" "No you were doing fine. I figured you'd look back and see me. Besides I wasn't in a big hurry". That section of E107 doesn't lend itself to quick riding.