Winter 2021

revrnd

20210115_212617.thumb.jpg.bdfefba108763b94ee2a4e03167bba88.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

.... maybe it's time to get rid of the sleds & take up curling?

-ms slomo's yearly curling club fee - $750.00  bought in August (while some people ended up curling during the season, she did not due to the pandemic - scientific vagaries of air containing droplets over an ice surface and being too close to others in older facility with no air exchange) 

-fancy broom - don't ask

-insulated curling shoes - don't ask

-sport specific curling attire - don't ask

-losers buy winners of game beer after game - don't ask

-contributions to various club fund raisers - don't ask....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slomo said:

-ms slomo's yearly curling club fee - $750.00  bought in August (while some people ended up curling during the season, she did not due to the pandemic - scientific vagaries of air containing droplets over an ice surface and being too close to others in older facility with no air exchange) 

-fancy broom - don't ask

Well that just proves the old saying, 'You gotta pay to play'. 

Then if these people want to stay home you know the latest Playstation or Xbox isn't cheap either...

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

I hear you!

I imagine there are sledders that have had to haul to sled ALL the time. Then there are those that trailer all over the province regardless of snow levels. 

I wonder what the OFSC would say if the day after you bought your permit, you break your leg and can't snowmobile?

Yes, my afternoon exercising was a nice break from reading stupidity online.

My back has been worse than usual recently... If I get out on the trails and find out my back is too sore... I want a refund.... :-D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slomo said:

-fancy broom - don't ask

I hope she got a refund on the $750 curling club fee.... just kidding.  Club fees are comparable to a permit and insurance for the sled...

- mustang floater suit - don't ask

- collection of gloves that weren't warm enough - don't ask

- gas on a good snow year - don't ask

- motel rooms on a good snow year - don't ask

- hybrid trailer and truck to tow it - don't ask (actually I'd still have the truck regardless)

Like was already said - you want to play you have to pay. If $190 for the season is a real tough to come up with expense... perhaps this isn't the sport for you. Perhaps it still is though.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I hope she got a refund on the $750 curling club fee.... just kidding.  Club fees are comparable to a permit and insurance for the sled...

- mustang floater suit - don't ask

- collection of gloves that weren't warm enough - don't ask

- gas on a good snow year - don't ask

- motel rooms on a good snow year - don't ask

- hybrid trailer and truck to tow it - don't ask (actually I'd still have the truck regardless)

Like was already said - you want to play you have to pay. If $190 for the season is a real tough to come up with expense... perhaps this isn't the sport for you. Perhaps it still is though.

LOL

Heck this nonsense about the permits comes up during good winters. I remember someone posting several years ago about starting a 'trail permit fund. Every day you throw a loonie or toonie in a jar...

If people wonder why they have no money, I'll give the 'family' of 4 across the street. Everyday the daughter & her useless walk down the street to buy a pizza or couple of subs for lunch or dinner.

I said to a friend that's a bit older than them, "I hope she can (fill in the blank) because I don't think she can cook". I'll also see them buying coffee. How hard & how much money is saved making it yourself?

34 minutes ago, revrnd said:

LOL

Heck this nonsense about the permits comes up during good winters. I remember someone posting several years ago about starting a 'trail permit fund. Every day you throw a loonie or toonie in a jar...

If people wonder why they have no money, I'll give the 'family' of 4 across the street. Everyday the daughter & her useless walk down the street to buy a pizza or couple of subs for lunch or dinner.

I said to a friend that's a bit older than them, "I hope she can (fill in the blank) because I don't think she can cook". I'll also see them buying coffee. How hard & how much money is saved making it yourself?

You can’t blame the generation for doing what they are taught.

Tim Hortons, McDonalds, starbucks and whatever fast food drive thrus

cellphones with data we have to have for social media

and now Uber Eats and Amazon.  

Spend your money faster then then you can think.

when us old guys grew up we did not have all the conveniences.   

5 minutes ago, Sksman said:

You can’t blame the generation for doing what they are taught.

Tim Hortons, McDonalds, starbucks and whatever fast food drive thrus

cellphones with data we have to have for social media

and now Uber Eats and Amazon.  

Spend your money faster then then you can think.

when us old guys grew up we did not have all the conveniences.   

Making it easier to separate the 'rubes' from their money? LOL

Back to winter. Today's snow report for those planning on doing some exercising 

chillywilly.thumb.jpg.f1d8fb46b15a482781aba2efa3f33df3.jpg

44 minutes ago, revrnd said:

LOL

A guy down the street from us has dinner delivered daily but he doesn't have money to maintain his house. His front porch railing is rusted and broken in a few places. Dangling eaves trough in one corner, paint peeling on his garage and garage door. He doesn't bother to cut the grass before it's about a foot long yet he also has a Mustang he bought new, only drives nice days in the summer and keeps covered in the garage.

Disjointed trail network is due to 3 health units converging in the area.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

No refund...same as sledding with the yearly expenses just to get started - curling club building, taxes, insurance, ice making plant machinery....etc. etc. etc. 

46 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s not cool, but I guess ofsc has no choice. May as well go to hailburton forest to ride now. 

Are the red trails not touched or groomed and marked red to discourage riding?

2 minutes ago, Sksman said:

My guess is they would be maintained to some extent. Can’t imagine they would just turn the groomer around at the boundary. 

My understanding is that the trails are closed. B106E is signed as closed at the 177 intersection north of LSP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T bird said:

My guess is they would be maintained to some extent. Can’t imagine they would just turn the groomer around at the boundary. 

Pretty sure that is in fact what Is happening.  Was out w club brushing trails after Christmas and said not grooming trails that connect to next health unit. Some trails are better than none...going to be a messed up year. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, slomo said:

-fancy broom - don't ask

Those prices sound like st George's or the board of trade clubs.

18 hours ago, Sksman said:

Most red trails are due to not enough snow or hazards such as water and mud. Some may be closed due to landowners and some but likely few are closed due to virus related concerns.

22 hours ago, zoso said:

Those prices sound like st George's or the board of trade clubs.

No, it's kind of a regular place, not fancy at all. Reminds me of the one that was in Garson when I was a youngster. ( with the Export A highland lassie reigning at the far end) You have to take into account that the curling (generally and usually) begins in September, early October and goes into May or June sometimes. They are losing a lot of income from not being able to rent out facilities. 

Out exercising this afternoon for 34 klicks. Lots of other folks doing the same. Met up w/ 1 of the board members from the local exercise club out with his son.

Saw some moose scoops along the exercise trail:

20210117_173855.thumb.jpg.b0cc0ebbf41b178cf4a7776c94e57b48.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, revrnd said:

My understanding is that the trails are closed. B106E is signed as closed at the 177 intersection north of LSP.

23 hours ago, J Feces said:

Pretty sure that is in fact what Is happening.  Was out w club brushing trails after Christmas and said not grooming trails that connect to next health unit. Some trails are better than none...going to be a messed up year. 

Both above comments are correct to my understanding. 
The district is not allowing grooming past an intersection that leads to another municipality (health unit) and the trail is to be posted as closed.  However, The club was allowed to brush and clear all trails in their system.
Example of b106e and 177. Just to north, you would cross Mackenzie lake road and enter next municipality. Second example would be b106e and 178. Maple leaf can’t go north from there (towards Whitney) because it also leads to other municipalities (and other snowmobile clubs). 
The only grooming that maple leaf can connect with other clubs would be south through Bancroft as it is still Hastings county.
snow remains thin around Bancroft. 

• Like 2

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, snow, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, snow, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, snow, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, outdoor, food and nature

Image may contain: sky, tree, snow, plant, cloud, outdoor and nature

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1