Winter 2021

revrnd

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

:headbang:that's what i think of the weather, although the weather girls are a :right_on:...

Google 'lindsay biscaia weather'

:ph34r: 

LOL

Bancroft and north on the railbed today. Last two pics taken on MLSS 177. B106E has a Trail Closed sign at this intersection. 103 klicks for the day. Heads up for B106E riders north of Maynooth.  Caught up to and passed a horseback rider just south of the Combermere turnoff (E109). Not sure if this going to be a regular occurrence or not.

Image may contain: tree, sky, snow, plant, bridge, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, snow, sky, bridge, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, snow, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, snow, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

• Like 9

Wow, looks good there revrnd. I've forgotten what winter is supposed to look like. Grass still sticking out here in D1. Sled is still in storage, and in no rush to look at it.

Mentioned on Faceplant so take it for what it's worth. People carrying on about a refund from the OFSC. Some have cited that they have done it in the past due to low snow. I've been buying permits since the mid-80s and don't ever recall anyone getting money back. Can anyone that has been involved @ the club level clarify this? The only thing mentioned in the posts is that the measurement was in Barrie @ the OFSC. I seem to remember something about that. From what I remember chatter @ the time was that since Barrie always had snow, they never had to pay anything out.

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Mentioned on Faceplant so take it for what it's worth. People carrying on about a refund from the OFSC. Some have cited that they have done it in the past due to low snow. I've been buying permits since the mid-80s and don't ever recall anyone getting money back. Can anyone that has been involved @ the club level clarify this? The only thing mentioned in the posts is that the measurement was in Barrie @ the OFSC. I seem to remember something about that. From what I remember chatter @ the time was that since Barrie always had snow, they never had to pay anything out.

If my memory serves the snow level in Barrie deal was called the snow guarantee but like you,  I do not believe it ever had to pay out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If my memory serves the snow level in Barrie deal was called the snow guarantee but like you,  I do not believe it ever had to pay out.

Whether or not the guarantee was in place, I buy my permit. Yes I've had some crappy winters, but oh well. Reading some of the posts on Faceplant, there are a lot of folks that haven't been thru lean winters. I know in 2000 if I hadn't done the HUGE loop out of Capreol near the end of the season I wouldn't have hit 500 miles here in Dist' 2. Recently I had a season I didn't hit 600. A combination of things not snow related caused me to not be very motivated to go riding.

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That’s correct no pay out that year. It was just a total snowfall for season, using Barrie airport for collecting data. Snow just had to fall and not stay either. I forget what number was but was low compared to what Barrie usually gets. Even this if we had a similar deal, would be no pay out either. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, revrnd said:

32 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I remember the year of the No Snow Guarantee. As stated Barrie was the monitoring point. No payout then and I have never heard of anyone ever getting a refund due to no snow or any other reason.... do you get a refund on your vehicle license plate if you don't drive your car. There are lots of people who have been able to get out for a little bit of a ride. Nobody can predict mother nature snowfall accurately well in advance.

Now having said that... if someone posts on the internet the OFSC gave refunds in the past then it must be true. After all it's on the internet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I remember the year of the No Snow Guarantee. As stated Barrie was the monitoring point. No payout then and I have never heard of anyone ever getting a refund due to no snow or any other reason.... do you get a refund on your vehicle license plate if you don't drive your car. There are lots of people who have been able to get out for a little bit of a ride. Nobody can predict mother nature snowfall accurately well in advance.

Now having said that... if someone posts on the internet the OFSC gave refunds in the past then it must be true. After all it's on the internet.

LOL

After questioning the payout (not the guarantee) it was suggested that I mustn't have been snowmobiling all that long to not remember it.

:wtf:

Honestly, who is for the sport if you when things are bad or not as good as you hoped for, you want your money back?

It is a mostly volunteer run org, not a bunch of hourly or salaried employees!!!

Better off without these people.....but I guess you need to be careful what you ask for.....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

LOL

After questioning the payout (not the guarantee) it was suggested that I mustn't have been snowmobiling all that long to not remember it.

I bet it hasn't been that long in your mind. LOL

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, revrnd said:

LOL

Then it must be true that OFSC gave refunds. lol.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Since the permit is an mto document, there is no place for refunds. For this season the ofsc at special request was able to make arrangements for a covid credit for next season. With stipulations of buying early, clicking the box for covid credit. $50 or $25 credit dependant on when you purchased. Those folks who purchased agreed to the deal, when clicking the box.

The snow guarantee was a ofsc marketing agreement, not with mto. You were to obtain (purchase) additional insurance through the snow guarantee (ofsc sanctioned broker) to be part of the snow guarantee. I can't remember the exact amount for the buy in, but it was minimal. ($10)? 

It never gained enough traction or interest to continue...

Edited by Yukon
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Good News:

This is what we all want to see.

• Like 1

I think i might be more inclined to get my insurance money back. Its about 3 X the cost of a trail pass and how much do clubs spend before they find out their trails will not open .I'm sure they all spend money before the first snowfall.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Honestly, who is for the sport if you when things are bad or not as good as you hoped for, you want your money back?

It is a mostly volunteer run org, not a bunch of hourly or salaried employees!!!

Better off without these people.....but I guess you need to be careful what you ask for.....

I hear you!

I imagine there are sledders that have had to haul to sled ALL the time. Then there are those that trailer all over the province regardless of snow levels. 

I wonder what the OFSC would say if the day after you bought your permit, you break your leg and can't snowmobile?

Yes, my afternoon exercising was a nice break from reading stupidity online.

23 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Who is experiencing this big world ending storm from the west happening out there. The way TWN explains it, its really bad out there...

Side note, see how much snows forecast for Quebec?..:soapbox::banghead::soapbox:....

No idea. What does the MeteoMedia staff have to say?

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Whether or not the guarantee was in place, I buy my permit. Yes I've had some crappy winters, but oh well. Reading some of the posts on Faceplant, there are a lot of folks that haven't been thru lean winters. I know in 2000 if I hadn't done the HUGE loop out of Capreol near the end of the season I wouldn't have hit 500 miles here in Dist' 2. Recently I had a season I didn't hit 600. A combination of things not snow related caused me to not be very motivated to go riding.

I have sleds so I buy a permit, as well as insurance. I just hope to ride, but if not, try again next winter. I think we went out on the bikes twice last summer, still renewed the 1700 insurance policy on them in November. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zoso said:

I have sleds so I buy a permit, as well as insurance. I just hope to ride, but if not, try again next winter. I think we went out on the bikes twice last summer, still renewed the 1700 insurance policy on them in November. 

Exactly! What Stoney says reminds me of the crisis during the gas price jump back in '07/'08. "We have to sell our Suburban because it's costing us an extra 40 bucks to go to the cottage!" 

I said it back then & I'll say it here again, if your finances are that tight & the cost of a permit is a make or break deal, maybe it's time to get rid of the sleds & take up curling?

A lot of us have said once you past the cost of the permit on our odometer, the riding is free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Who is experiencing this big world ending storm from the west happening out there. The way TWN explains it, its really bad out there...

Side note, see how much snows forecast for Quebec?..:soapbox::banghead::soapbox:....

Just started snowing here. No rain