Winter 2021

revrnd

Up to Martin's Mill/Mason's Hill to install a mapboard on E109 this morning.

20201210_182942.thumb.jpg.022ef57eea372473359ce8939a4843f3.jpg

Looking southeast across Elephant Lake

20201210_183005.thumb.jpg.8a592462c4c1b4e61632b00cd68dd534.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, gobills said:

Hopefully we get the snow they are calling for.  Then some nice cold weather for a long stretch.

It seems like we are a month behind "normal" years...the month of November was generally a write off for any kind of outdoor activity ...this year there was two weeks of warm weather and the useless weather started up in December. No real snow I can see forecast anywhere in the immediate future, but holding out hope for January.

We are WAY behind in my normal riding in terms of frost, ice and cold.

Lets hope things change soon.

Photos are great btw - I love winter and just want to see snow and cold everywhere :)

17 hours ago, slomo said:

It seems like we are a month behind "normal" years...the month of November was generally a write off for any kind of outdoor activity ...this year there was two weeks of warm weather and the useless weather started up in December. No real snow I can see forecast anywhere in the immediate future, but holding out hope for January.

It can change very quickly and have a storm come in off of Lake Huron / Georgian Bay and dump a large amount of snow.

13 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It can change very quickly and have a storm come in off of Lake Huron / Georgian Bay and dump a large amount of snow.

There was a storm a few years back.  New Years Eve day.  Left home in Monkton, just having a skiff of snow.  Got to buddy's house in Atwood and unloaded.  Ran up the railway to Listowel.  Got to Gowanstown.  Heavy snow, couldn't see from stake to stake.  Had snow coming over the windshield, had to stand up to ride or snow was hitting me in the helmet.

We stopped in Palmerston for lunch, as we had to make sure we were home again in time to get some supplies before 5 o'clock.  It took over an hour to go from Gowanstown to Palmerston.  While having lunch, snow stopped, sun came out, Groomer came bye, and it was a 10 min ride back to Listowel.

The wonder of Lake effect.

No photo description available.

• Like 5

Environment Canada just said on CTV they are calling for a warmer wetter winter this year in Ontario.....don’t put a lot of faith in any forecast but not what we wanted to hear..........good thing trailer is ready 

12 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Environment Canada just said on CTV they are calling for a warmer wetter winter this year in Ontario.....don’t put a lot of faith in any forecast but not what we wanted to hear..........good thing trailer is ready 

What colour is it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

What side is your man door on?

Most of the time they are wrong and we get exactly the opposite. In this case it would be good if they were as wrong as usual.

It’s a 10 ft clamshell triton, front access door no man door .... and in black for those who care

it’s 14 yrs old and only needed maintenance once when tilt springs broke. 
Will only replace it if I buy a sled that won’t fit in it ......... all these new trailer pics sure do look good ! 

5 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Environment Canada, the fear mongers. Start hype all the time   99% of the time they can’t tell you what happened yesterday let alone forecast 2 days in advance. 

Thats what you get when you don't change the channel when the white haired guy w/ verbal diarrhea comes on...

4 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

It’s a 10 ft clamshell triton, front access door no man door .... and in black for those who care

it’s 14 yrs old and only needed maintenance once when tilt springs broke. 
Will only replace it if I buy a sled that won’t fit in it ......... all these new trailer pics sure do look good ! 

The first aluminum triton trailer in the barn was your Dads.  What a nice rig compared to everything else out there considering alot of us were still open trailer guys. I have been checking the trailers conditions over the years when they are in for storage. The aluminum trailers just last and last.  But now we have the beet juice. Should we undercoat these aluminum trailers ?  Krown ? And protecting the plywood can't hurt either     asking for a friend 

4 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

The first aluminum triton trailer in the barn was your Dads.  What a nice rig compared to everything else out there considering alot of us were still open trailer guys. I have been checking the trailers conditions over the years when they are in for storage. The aluminum trailers just last and last.  But now we have the beet juice. Should we undercoat these aluminum trailers ?  Krown ? And protecting the plywood can't hurt either     asking for a friend 

I believe the axle tube and mounting brackets need the most attention  Nick as they will rot out long before the aluminum will.

The second item is the disimilar metal corrosion that eventually happens between the axle brackets and frame as well as the steel bolts that bolt the axle and frame. Early rust protection in these areas will help extrend the life but that particular corrosion is unstoppable as far as I know. 

I'm guessing most guys on OC don't keep their trailers  long enough for it that to be an issue for them. 

I powerwash my trailer as much as I can in the winter top and bottom then really clean it well in the spring and spray the axle and brackets with Honey Goo.

1 minute ago, volunteer2 said:

They do last, as you know we have had 3 tritons no issues. 
Anything I have read says the beet juice is less corrosive than road salt on all common metals so I really don’t see the need but I’m not any kind of expert ...... something like Krown can’t hurt. It sure keep the old duramax looking good ! 

33 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Thats what you get when you don't change the channel when the white haired guy w/ verbal diarrhea comes on...

Bahahahaha, they get it so wrong all the time with snowfall amounts. But when it’s rain, they hit the nail on the head. I don’t understand. 

45 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I believe the axle tube and mounting brackets need the most attention  Nick as they will rot out long before the aluminum will.

The second item is the disimilar metal corrosion that eventually happens between the axle brackets and frame as well as the steel bolts that bolt the axle and frame. Early rust protection in these areas will help extrend the life but that particular corrosion is unstoppable as far as I know. 

I'm guessing most guys on OC don't keep their trailers  long enough for it that to be an issue for them. 

I powerwash my trailer as much as I can in the winter top and bottom then really clean it well in the spring and spray the axle and brackets with Honey Goo.

We have 3 prostars in our group. Between the axle and frame big thick piece of a plexiglass type of material.   I have had it 2 winters and everything looks like new except axle. I painted it this summer.  The early ones didn't have the rubber piece across the front so plywood was exposed and that was a bit chinsey so I did put black aluminum piece there.  I don't pressure wash or clean it at all    just lazy with something else too do always.  I have to get it Krowned  but then won't be able to paint the axle I am thinking 

9 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

We have 3 prostars in our group. Between the axle and frame big thick piece of a plexiglass type of material.   I have had it 2 winters and everything looks like new except axle. I painted it this summer.  The early ones didn't have the rubber piece across the front so plywood was exposed and that was a bit chinsey so I did put black aluminum piece there.  I don't pressure wash or clean it at all    just lazy with something else too do always.  I have to get it Krowned  but then won't be able to paint the axle I am thinking 

Hard to keep paint on the front of the axle with sand and stones from the truck hitting it. I find the numerous coatings of Honey Goo is building up on the axle and the sand and stones don't seem to be having as much effect anymore.

The plexiglass piece will work as long as it doesn't wear through but that doesn't solve the mounting bolts going through the aluminum walls. The rotted frame boxes I have seen were the worst near the bolt holes. Stainless steel bolts would help but won't stop the corrosion.

You'll have time to wash it when you fully retire and after the honey doo list is completed.

Ya so true. I do have alot of stuff to do around the farm. I always had my trucks and trailers washed and waxed way more than lately   can't believe the way the list grows. Not getting younger either.  Definitely will be more attentive to these areas on the trailer   since my stuff has always been in decent shape and can sell it used for a fair buck

46 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Ya so true. I do have alot of stuff to do around the farm. I always had my trucks and trailers washed and waxed way more than lately   can't believe the way the list grows. Not getting younger either.  Definitely will be more attentive to these areas on the trailer   since my stuff has always been in decent shape and can sell it used for a fair buck

you need one of those featherlite triaxle gooseneck racing trailers when you retire.......go full nascar style

custom storage cabinets, full work bench and leather lounge for break time !!

• Like 1