Length and Door config on enclosed trailer

Puggz

pologies for another trailer thread but I didn't want this to get buried on page 3... :)

Drive in/out trailer, what about door configuration? Road side? Curb side?  Man door on the same side as the front ramp door?  and why?  I really like this idea with the man door at the back and with 2 fuel doors I should be able to fuel and sled w/o moving them. Remember that not all gas stations have the long hoses like costco...lol

Length (box plus v-nose), to fit 3 sleds comfortably, 2 short tracks and up to a 2-up for example. I'm thinking 22'overall but maybe a 24' would be better.  

Thoughts? 

3 place trailer.JPG

Edited by Puggz

Your fuel door appears to be hinged on the side closest to the rear of the trailer. Switch it around so the hinge is on the side toward the front. If for some reason it doesn't get latched / locked properly the wind will keep it closed if the hinge is to the front rather than have it swing open and bang against the body of the trailer or worse get torn off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Your fuel door appears to be hinged on the side closest to the rear of the trailer. Switch it around so the hinge is on the side toward the front. If for some reason it doesn't get latched / locked properly the wind will keep it closed if the hinge is to the front rather than have it swing open and bang against the body of the trailer or worse get torn off.

Thats the man door, but good point! Thank you :)

I've not seen a man door on the left side of a trailer. Likely 'cause it's not wise to step out into potential traffic on the side of the road.

5 hours ago, Puggz said:

pologies for another trailer thread but I didn't want this to get buried on page 3... :)

Drive in/out trailer, what about door configuration? Road side? Curb side?  Man door on the same side as the front ramp door?  and why?  I really like this idea with the man door at the back and with 2 fuel doors I should be able to fuel and sled w/o moving them. Remember that not all gas stations have the long hoses like costco...lol

Length (box plus v-nose), to fit 3 sleds comfortably, 2 short tracks and up to a 2-up for example. I'm thinking 22'overall but maybe a 24' would be better.  

Thoughts? 

3 place trailer.JPG

Right side man door is nice if you stop on a road shoulder and can enter without being in the traffic lane.  I have had trailers with the V-nose door on both sides, but like both the man door and the v-nose door on the same side so that when parking along the edge of a parking area against snowbanks, both can be easy access.  This is a bigger deal when the trailer stays in one place and snow is plowed only on the one side.  My NEO has doors on opposite sides and there is actually a special bounce plate which needs to be installed to stop sleds from hitting the man door when loading from the front.  I like my R&R which are both on the same side so no issues.

4 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Access door, and fuel door on drivers side for us,  ramp door on opposite side.  Works well for us..

IMG_20190822_190204_651.jpg

IMG_20190822_190157_842.jpg

When parking along a snowbank, the ramp door does not work to reload or the man door is against the bank.  When I leave my trailer as a garage in Searchmont at The Driftwood for months.  I am forced to place it along an edge of the parking area.  I need to point the V-Nose Door toward the plowed side to reload at then end of the trip.  If you are leaving with the trailer, you can move it, but I never hook to it until the end of the season and sometimes bring another trailer to move sleds or bring guests along.  I will not use the man door if I need to scale a mountain of snow to get to it, so at that point the trailer has a back door and V-Nose Door only.  It is my (fixed) mobile garage.  It usually takes hours to make it ready to drive at the end of the season as a couple ladders and shovels get the top cleared off after digging it out to get access to both sides.  Last year it was about 2 feet of snow/ice.  (3)axles 7x33' Box plus V-Nose.  Keep 4 sleds in Canada so no trailering in normal seasons.  The season is already over for us.  Maybe ???? some base riding in Michigan since only takeout food and no bars which means that most of the gas & warmup stops on trails will not be open.  Our 5K to 6K miles per season will not happen this year unless all the our local lakes freeze and stay frozen like back in the 1960's and 1970's and I ride from home.  Not counting on that either.   

27 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

When parking along a snowbank, the ramp door does not work to reload or the man door is against the bank.  When I leave my trailer as a garage in Searchmont at The Driftwood for months.  I am forced to place it along an edge of the parking area.  I need to point the V-Nose Door toward the plowed side to reload at then end of the trip.  If you are leaving with the trailer, you can move it, but I never hook to it until the end of the season and sometimes bring another trailer to move sleds or bring guests along.  I will not use the man door if I need to scale a mountain of snow to get to it, so at that point the trailer has a back door and V-Nose Door only.  It is my (fixed) mobile garage.  It usually takes hours to make it ready to drive at the end of the season as a couple ladders and shovels get the top cleared off after digging it out to get access to both sides.  Last year it was about 2 feet of snow/ice.  (3)axles 7x33' Box plus V-Nose.  Keep 4 sleds in Canada so no trailering in normal seasons.  The season is already over for us.  Maybe ???? some base riding in Michigan since only takeout food and no bars which means that most of the gas & warmup stops on trails will not be open.  Our 5K to 6K miles per season will not happen this year unless all the our local lakes freeze and stay frozen like back in the 1960's and 1970's and I ride from home.  Not counting on that either.   

It all really comes down to personal preference and your riding style.  Thats what i liked about ordering a trailer, you can configure it anyway you want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

It all really comes down to personal preference and your riding style.  Thats what i liked about ordering a trailer, you can configure it anyway you want.

Curious, what was your reason to have the v-nose ramp door on the passenger side?

The snow bank concern if you are forced to park on a road makes sense, but I cannot think of another reason for it.

Fuel door and man door on the drivers side make sense for fueling purposes.

49 minutes ago, stoney said:

Curious, what was your reason to have the v-nose ramp door on the passenger side?

The snow bank concern if you are forced to park on a road makes sense, but I cannot think of another reason for it.

Fuel door and man door on the drivers side make sense for fueling purposes.

We very rarely ever park along snowbanks. Really no particular reason . We can load/unload from either end, so it doesn't really matter to us. It was also recommended that where you put the access door and fuel door, the opposite side is the ramp door. 

Edited by Turbo Doo

Can usually access and fuel 2 machines from the man door.

Like Turbo Doo's trailer there is only need for one fuel door.

17 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Right side man door is nice if you stop on a road shoulder and can enter without being in the traffic lane.  I have had trailers with the V-nose door on both sides, but like both the man door and the v-nose door on the same side so that when parking along the edge of a parking area against snowbanks, both can be easy access.  This is a bigger deal when the trailer stays in one place and snow is plowed only on the one side.  My NEO has doors on opposite sides and there is actually a special bounce plate which needs to be installed to stop sleds from hitting the man door when loading from the front.  I like my R&R which are both on the same side so no issues.

Excellent point. Thank you.

17 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Access door, and fuel door on drivers side for us,  ramp door on opposite side.  Works well for us..

IMG_20190822_190204_651.jpg

IMG_20190822_190157_842.jpg

I really like the extra long hitch bar so I can open my tailgate!  What is the overall length of your trailer (including V nose)?

Edited by Puggz

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

I really like the extra long hitch bar so I can open my tailgate!  What is the overall length of your trailer (including V nose)?

I believe he has a PR147 and according to the website, overall length is 22.5 feet.

https://www.tritontrailers.com/enclosed-cargo/pr/

I gave up on fuel doors since very few stations have long hoses anymore. 

Seems most have long enough distance between trailer and the truck for tailgates, however the type of jack and where it is attached causes the issues of tailgates not being able to open fully.  When you get into bigger trailers, the swing jacks go away and the placement of the fixed jacks is the issue.  I hate it when the tailgate cannot be opened fully while attached.  I have also added receiver extensions when pulling a hybrid 2 place so that the additional sled can be placed in the bed.  Safety chain extensions become necessary along with wiring extensions. 

Pay attention to the jacks or you may end up not liking the trailer.  My NEO came with rear jack slides because it is so light that if not coupled to a tow vehicle a single sled can raise the front. 

my thoughts on fuel doors is, just another hole to leak, rust, rot, corrode. like sunroofs in autos... my dad used to say, if you dont want your roof to leak, dont cut a hole in it. :D Ski 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

my thoughts on fuel doors is, just another hole to leak, rust, rot, corrode. like sunroofs in autos... my dad used to say, if you dont want your roof to leak, dont cut a hole in it. :D Ski 

Agreed. The access door my Triton is driver's side - open the side door, feed the hose, fill up 2 sleds that way. No need for a fuel door under those circumstances.

Interestingly, one gas station wouldn't allow me to fill up - 3 doors open (front ramp, back ramp and side door). Nope. 'Regulations'. I'd be 'p*ssed' if I had a fuel door, and this type of regulation is enforced in the future.

(I didn't drive the sleds out to fill, as suggested. Fueled them after I got to destination.  I'd love input on what the regulations are on this. I've seen sleds filled, jerry cans filled...all in the 'warmth' of the trailer. Are we risking extreme heat, so to speak?)

2 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Agreed. The access door my Triton is driver's side - open the side door, feed the hose, fill up 2 sleds that way. No need for a fuel door under those circumstances.

Interestingly, one gas station wouldn't allow me to fill up - 3 doors open (front ramp, back ramp and side door). Nope. 'Regulations'. I'd be 'p*ssed' if I had a fuel door, and this type of regulation is enforced in the future.

(I didn't drive the sleds out to fill, as suggested. Fueled them after I got to destination.  I'd love input on what the regulations are on this. I've seen sleds filled, jerry cans filled...all in the 'warmth' of the trailer. Are we risking extreme heat, so to speak?)

It is the TSSA regulation.  Can't fill anything in an enclosed space.  Not many stations enforce it, but it is law.  One of those things no big deal until it is.  Then watch out.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I've had an experience with this too. I have a Ford Flex (the box station wagon). I used to take my gas cans to the gas station, open the rear tailgate and fill the cans while they sat in the car. One station employee told me that I had to take the cans out and fill them on the ground. I did that as I needed the fuel but went home to investigate the laws and as Signfan mentioned it is a TSSA regulation. 

It begs the question - why provide a 'fuel' door?

(thanks PLC and Signfan)

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I used to take my gas cans to the gas station, open the rear tailgate and fill the cans while they sat in the car.

Fumes escape while filling and migrate into closed areas in the vehicle and possibly ignited by electrical spark or other means which is why they should be out of the vehicle to be filled. A cigar smoking guy lit one up doing this in Ft. Rae, NWT, which is why I remember the reason so well. 

3 hours ago, AC+YA said:

I gave up on fuel doors since very few stations have long hoses anymore. 

Seems most have long enough distance between trailer and the truck for tailgates, however the type of jack and where it is attached causes the issues of tailgates not being able to open fully.  When you get into bigger trailers, the swing jacks go away and the placement of the fixed jacks is the issue.  I hate it when the tailgate cannot be opened fully while attached.  I have also added receiver extensions when pulling a hybrid 2 place so that the additional sled can be placed in the bed.  Safety chain extensions become necessary along with wiring extensions. 

Pay attention to the jacks or you may end up not liking the trailer.  My NEO came with rear jack slides because it is so light that if not coupled to a tow vehicle a single sled can raise the front. 

Yes i'm planning on stabilizer jacks on the back.

1 hour ago, signfan said:

It is the TSSA regulation.  Can't fill anything in an enclosed space.  Not many stations enforce it, but it is law.  One of those things no big deal until it is.  Then watch out.

My current 7x16 ameralite has one. I've only had one service station give me a hard time, I explained that this was only for portable gas cans (a lie) and she took the bait. Therefore, once or twice a season is still worth having.