Abitibi loop

chez-nous cest skidoo

i was surfing the ITG and noticed a gap in the Abitibi loop, seems like its right at the bridge area .. is there something going on there ?

cheers

5 minutes ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

i was surfing the ITG and noticed a gap in the Abitibi loop, seems like its right at the bridge area .. is there something going on there ?

cheers

I'm guessing it is because you are riding on the road. The road cannot be a trail so  normally the signs say follow road to trail.

That missing section on the ITG is a trail that bypasses the road running from Base Camp to the dam. I was wondering what happened to it as well.

Also, has anyone heard if the West side of the Abitibi loop will be open this year again as it was closed for much of last year with permission issues?

Got a better explanation??

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Confused 1

It could also be just a itg glitch. And also, how many trails cross damns?. Although the A trail crossing in Latchford over the damn is showing.  Last season the west side, or the Smooth Rock Falls side, was closed for most of the season due to Land use Permit issues. Then there was the Hyrdo One Construction, which has been there for several seasons. It was still groomed, even though it was not officially open. Lots of riders still did the loop, although i don't condone it.  Anyways from what i hear, this season should be better than the last.  The section that is gapped on the ITG, is the damn crossing section.  Keep following Abitibi Base Camp, Smooth Rock Arctic Riders, and PBR riders Facebook pages for updates.  

Heres a photo i took part way up on the Smooth Rock Falls side, last season around the L107 Cutoff.  

20200202_143926.jpg

Screenshot_20201206-210447_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201206-211012_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Turbo Doo

13 minutes ago, signfan said:

Liability.  Some lawyer won't sign off on that public road being trail I bet.  So solution was just to pull it off the map.  I could be wrong, but that's my guess.  

That sounds very similar to what happened last year on the west side trail

21 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

They have a new website also..

abitibicanyon.com

Screenshot_20201211-205930_Samsung Internet.jpg

are those recent pics ?

cheers

I didn't know that there was a winter from there (past the trailer). I knew it went up to Otter Rapids. Is the Detour Lake mine accessed from there too?

https://www.timminstoday.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/winter-road-cancelled-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-concerns-3177285

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

I didn't know that there was a winter from there (past the trailer). I knew it went up to Otter Rapids. Is the Detour Lake mine accessed from there too?

https://www.timminstoday.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/winter-road-cancelled-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-concerns-3177285

If you are referring to the mine,  kind of North East to Cochrane,  its accessed by Rd 652 east of Cochrane.  When we were up at the Abitibi canyon on Thanksgiving weekend,  the brother in law took us the long way around and went past the next few dams heading kinda west of the abitibi damn then back down into Kapuskasing.  Thats a long old road,  Rd 634, wow.  Little Long hydroelectric damn and smoky falls area. We also ventured up to New Post Falls.

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Here is the winter road.

https://www.moosecree.com/wetumroad/

Never been on it though. 

57 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

If you are referring to the mine,  kind of North East to Cochrane,  its accessed by Rd 652 east of Cochrane.  When we were up at the Abitibi canyon on Thanksgiving weekend,  the brother in law took us the long way around and went past the next few dams heading kinda west of the abitibi damn then back down into Kapuskasing.  Thats a long old road,  Rd 634, wow.  Little Long hydroelectric damn and smoky falls area. We also ventured up to New Post Falls.

Cool! I'd like to do some exploring up there sometime. That's an old railed on the west side of Kap' that TOP A uses to avoid GM's Cold Weather Center.

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Looking @ the road map and yes the mine is more or less due east of the Fraserdale/Otter Rapids area. I was thinking it was northeast of there. I know of someone working there (mechanic) but I haven't been talking to him since he started there.

31 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Looking @ the road map and yes the mine is more or less due east of the Fraserdale/Otter Rapids area. I was thinking it was northeast of there. I know of someone working there (mechanic) but I haven't been talking to him since he started there.

The future brother in law worked there for a bit, as a 'Cat' mechanic,  before his current job at the Mary River Mines..

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

The future brother in law worked there for a bit, as a 'Cat' mechanic,  before his current job at the Mary River Mines..

By Mary River, are you referring to the iron ore mine on Baffin Island TD?

56 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

By Mary River, are you referring to the iron ore mine on Baffin Island TD?

I had to look that up too

Driven the Wetum Road a few times in the past for work, also visited Mary Lake mine for work as well.

Getting a little north of the tree line for those two!