What's Your Plan

ToSlow

I was wondering what some of the rides people have planned if covid is not a factor this season,

I'm seriously considering the New Liskard to Wawa and back. 

Would be interested in hearing some of the rides others have planned

Edited by ToSlow
no

17 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

I was wondering what some of the rides people have planned if covid is not a factor this season,

Assuming the Covid thing doesn't get any worse in the north, we have planned on starting a 5 day ride on March1st from Liskeard, staying at the Westway in Cochrane night one then 2 nights at the Companion in Hearst then Timmins for a night and back to Liskeard. I have it calculated at a 1550 km. ride.

• Like 2

We have our usual trips planned in the NCDN. Rooms are already looked after. Although much like PLCs statement,  i am quickly thinking that covid is going to ruin this season. I do not expect to be in the NCDN this season. Just look at todays cases.  We are not doing our Quebec tour this year. I am not liking the thought of no NCDN sledding, for it is what we love. If thats the case this season,  i can't see myself staying interested for too long..:logik::sleep:....

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

Lots of riding from the cottage.  Still debating Cote Nord, Gaspe, Abitibi or Algoma for trips (would like to get a couple in).  Maybe the RAN tour as well.  If it were today I'd avoid Gaspe due to Covid, but it looks like things there are slowly improving.  The others I'd be good to go today based on their active covid case counts.  We usually just make our trips extended weekends.  Think it may be straight week days this year to avoid any crowds and can ride from the cottage on weekends.  Hopefully our case count stays down at home as well so I don't feel that I need to stay home to be responsible and respectful to the areas we'd like to visit.

• Like 2

I really hope this season isn't a wash for everyone.   Most importantly the small business that may depend on some extra money coming in from sledders.

I'm hoping we can ride from up north and not travel too much.  If we do have to travel I think we will be staying in one spot not moving around too much.

• Like 3

I put my sled for sale at a high price due to the strong resale market but if it doesn't sell I'll be doing day trips only. Usual sled partners have been leary of making plans. Usually we have a boys weekend but the host has some health issues so doesn't want to commit due to covid. Going to be an unpredictable winter I guess, not that we all aren't used to that by now!:(

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ToSlow said:

But it already IS a factor!

We have a sled in the bush and can't git to it, and can't ride there this winter either!

My old sledding chum hasn't ridden with me (or anyone much for that matter) since his kids were born, starting around 2008 I think.

He was all geared up to head to Halfway this year!

AND he wanted to head west with us too!

So he called me up a month'r two ago and asked aboot deadline for git'n the nice price on OFSC permits?

I told him that the bridge was closed to all Yanks - including Yoopers. (Munising)

"Oh! I didn't know that."

So then he backed out on heading west now too under the premise that he $pent all his $$$ on home improvements and more sleds so that everyone in the whole fam damly have their own sled now.

And then my boy has now backed out on heading west now too - under the reason of time. He could git a day to head north, but he would need to take at least 3 days to head west, and his company made them take 2 weeks off earlier and use their vacation time for it, and he was NOT a happy camper. 

So now it's just me and my "headin' west" chum now, and he texted me the other day to tell me that we need to be back right soon after New Years as his wife is fetchin' a new knee soon after, so hard to say if he will be able to head back out by March or not? (prolly, but who knows if Biden will even allow us to by then?)

So - that's my season .....

Edited by Ox

Booked for 4 day trip leaving Timmins the morning after Family Day. NCDN counter clockwise this year. Timmins to Hearst to Dubs to Chapleau back to Timmins. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Curly said:

Booked for 4 day trip leaving Timmins the morning after Family Day. NCDN counter clockwise this year. Timmins to Hearst to Dubs to Chapleau back to Timmins. 

Way to go. Happy trails. We've been reluctant to pull the trigger on hotel bookings. Your update (and others) somehow adds 'normalcy' to 2021.

Just going to wing it. Most likely head to Dunlop Lake or Liskeard and do 2-3 day loops.

Really hoping for snow in the south. The wife is consumed with Covid fear. May have to leave her at home.

On 12/7/2020 at 12:32 AM, Blackstar said:

Just going to wing it. Most likely head to Dunlop Lake or Liskeard and do 2-3 day loops.

Really hoping for snow in the south. The wife is consumed with Covid fear. May have to leave her at home.

Maybe no washrooms available during drive up either. That’s another issue. I hurt my foot, so doubt it if I will be doing any trips this year. 

I'd like to do a trip but got nobody to go with.

11 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Maybe no washrooms available during drive up either. That’s another issue. I hurt my foot, so doubt it if I will be doing any trips this year. 

That's too bad :(. What happened to your foot ?

1 minute ago, volunteer2 said:

That's too bad :(. What happened to your foot ?

Over use injury known as shin splints and affects exterior muscle going up outside of my leg and across top of my foot. Really painful condition that is hard to heal. Happened at end of September, december now and only partially healed. Might be ok by February, time will tell. Can’t do any long distance driving at moment or my leg stiffens right up like a Charlie horse. Not fun. Bouncing around on a snowmobile might be out of question too. Really hurts just riding on tractor lately. Vibrations From equipment really bother it. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Over use injury known as shin splints and affects exterior muscle going up outside of my leg and across top of my foot. Really painful condition that is hard to heal. Happened at end of September, december now and only partially healed. Might be ok by February, time will tell. Can’t do any long distance driving at moment or my leg stiffens right up like a Charlie horse. Not fun. Bouncing around on a snowmobile might be out of question too. Really hurts just riding on tractor lately. Vibrations From equipment really bother it. 

Those injuries are painful and hard to heal. Be a bastard for you if you got repetitive stress syndrome on your hands and wrists from too much keyboarding on the internet.....better be careful! :wavey:;)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, slomo said:

Those injuries are painful and hard to heal. Be a bastard for you if you got repetitive stress syndrome on your hands and wrists from too much keyboarding on the internet.....better be careful! :wavey:;)

Carpal tunnel syndrome is the common one for keyboard use these days

well got my plan done ... put my house in paisley up for sale sold in under 24hrs for over asking.    finalized and sealed yesterday so my new house is now not to far from hunta  "close to cochrane"

was going to do this this summer but house market to good      me and wife are now retired and enjoying life :)

• Like 19

Congratulations, cookster. Fantastic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cookster said:

well got my plan done ... put my house in paisley up for sale sold in under 24hrs for over asking.    finalized and sealed yesterday so my new house is now not to far from hunta  "close to cochrane"

was going to do this this summer but house market to good      me and wife are now retired and enjoying life :)

Congrats!

That is quite the move though to go from where you are to Cochrane.

• Like 1

ya 800 km from door to door         30 years here, and i think i  have had place in hunta for 17? years  was always the plan to live on the lake for a few more after  we retired.   hunt fish sled/atv and relax.   well relax i doubt    #1 plan is  garage, and then lots of decking and screened porch   etc etc etc.   

congrats cookster! look forward to your updates on the happenings at your cochrane places. Ski

• Like 1