New trailer

soupkids

I use my truck for work so i need to record my mileage and my fuel.

Apps make it easy to check or see what your fuel usage is.

And I think it’s pretty interesting to look at the last 7 or so vehicles I have driven and compare the mileage and expenses.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:28 AM, volunteer2 said:

2017 5.3 Z71 Chevy  pulling Prostar Hybrid  2 wide    went to Val Dor  1689 km    18.4 L 100km   Longest trip for this truck   Usually North bay or so,  Fill in Sturgeon falls and on fumes in Guelph    All down hill so much better on fuel   :rotflmao:    Really makes a difference on how much you put your foot in it  but we all know that for years    I really would like to try an inline Lightning like Blake got the day we picked them up      I see the prices for the trailers took quite a jump 

I was running the same truck with the same trailer as Blake. I think we picked up our trailers the same day LOL. I get about 16.4 to 16.7L 100km. I am running 6 speed transmission with 308 gears and find it a bit of a problem on windy & slushy days. It has a hard time holding its speed on a light upgrade. My buddy is running the same truck with 323 gears towing a tritan 167 and he is about the same as me on fuel.  We will see how the new truck works. Decided to try the new 3.0L duramax. More torque and at lower rpm. where the 5.3 is less torque but at high rpm. Should work well. 

Edited by RotaxMike
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RotaxMike said:

I was running the same truck with the same trailer as Blake. I think we picked up our trailers the same day LOL. I get about 16.4 to 16.7L 100km. I am running 6 speed transmission with 308 gears and find it a bit of a problem on windy & slushy days. It has a hard time holding its speed on a light upgrade. My buddy is running the same truck with 323 gears towing a tritan 167 and he is about the same as me on fuel.  We will see how the new truck works. Decided to try the new 3.0L duramax. More torque and at lower rpm. where the 5.3 is less torque but at high rpm. Should work well. 

Let us know how you like the 3.0L DMAX..:right_on:

Just to clarify, the trailer I got at Action is a 2019 ProStarr Bullitt 7 x 16. Basically a low profile inline two place trailer. Slomo and TheNavigator have the same model.

When I pull the loaded trailer with a 2015 4x4 Ram 8 speed 4 door with the 5.7 hemi motor, the truck runs in 7th gear on flat land, 8th on a slight downgrade, and 6th on an upgrade. No problem or effort with a normal speed of anywhere between 100 and 120 kph. I could easily go faster, but the fuel economy would nosedive.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blake G said:

Just to clarify, the trailer I got at Action is a 2019 ProStarr Bullitt 7 x 16. Basically a low profile inline two place trailer. Slomo and TheNavigator have the same model.

When I pull the loaded trailer with a 2015 4x4 Ram 8 speed 4 door with the 5.7 hemi motor, the truck runs in 7th gear on flat land, 8th on a slight downgrade, and 6th on an upgrade. No problem or effort with a normal speed of anywhere between 100 and 120 kph. I could easily go faster, but the fuel economy would nosedive.

Same trailer as Blake -

807816259_IMG_4234(Medium).JPG.262e981c69a3c074871133d3a3af9f07.JPG

A 137" forward, 129" back...

1169193735_IMG_4232(Medium).thumb.JPG.ed43889cd8555e93f52fb8bbe75de377.JPG

5 liter gas engine 6 speed auto 3.31 axle:

1595297899_IMG_4258(Small).JPG.6eeceea56d63a1ef254e633cd5b742d2.JPG

Varied terrain - 5.9 kms / liter - Amos to just north of North Bay via highway 11.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:31 PM, soupkids said:

First time towing and boy does it change my gas mileage.

Normally run 10 to 12 l/100, currently running 28 to 30 l/100, WOW.

I have a 7x16 enclosed and I get 18 with my new GM 3.0 diesel. Used to get 21 with my '17 6.2 gasser.  Never over 23.

On 12/4/2020 at 10:41 AM, Spiderman said:

Its possible mine might show it, have never looked to be honest - but goes back to I don't care either, is what it is.

Even if you don't care what mileage you're getting, a big change is a great indicator that something is wrong, either with the trailer and/or pickup.  Therefore I like to know where "normal" is.

My 2019 F150 with a 2.7 Eco Boom gives 18L/100km towing my Clamshell Triton at 115km/h on the 400N.    Its normally around 11-12 empty.   I just bought a TC167 and am curious to see what/if there is any difference? 

Edited by scottyr

I've always kept track of the mileage of all my vehicles & check the dash reading vs the actual fuel used/100km driven. My 2016 Tacoma dash gauge is very accurate for day to day driving. Within 0.2L/100km. But pulling a trailer, the bigger the load & hilly, I find it's less accurate. Within 3.0L/100km. The dash gauge reads more L/100km than I'm actually using.

• Thanks 1

One thing we talked about at a garage meeting was how much fuel do you really get from the pumps ?  It's adjusted to 15 degrees Celsius I think I remember. So we get less fuel in the winter than the pump says ?  So when we figure mileage the old way. ... which I used to do..... Does that show better milage in winter    .but the dash indicator should be correct since it's a computer    just asking :banghead:

And another note  I decided to change my display on my dash to show my milage.  Ya it's winter and I am pulling my work trailer around town.   Not good   I put my digital speedometer back up. LoL    :(:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the things many overlook in the winter is tire pressure. It tends to drop in the colder temps but not enough to set off a low pressure alarm. Low tire pressure will impact your fuel consumption. I was surprised at how much difference running into the wind in summer will make.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Let us know how you like the 3.0L DMAX..:right_on:

So far love the new 3.0L DMAX. Trailered to Haliburton forest and back. Not on the highway but a lot of hills & lower speeds. Averaged 12.4L. Can't wait to see what it is like on the highway. Tows awesome. Pulls up hills with out the engine revving over 4 grand like the 5.3L. 

36 minutes ago, RotaxMike said:

So far love the new 3.0L DMAX. Trailered to Haliburton forest and back. Not on the highway but a lot of hills & lower speeds. Averaged 12.4L. Can't wait to see what it is like on the highway. Tows awesome. Pulls up hills with out the engine revving over 4 grand like the 5.3L. 

What’s your regular fuel consumption?

And what trailer were you towing?

1 hour ago, RotaxMike said:

How does it start in cold weather? Be an issue if no block heater in minus 20 ish weather? Thanks 

3 hours ago, RotaxMike said:

:right_on:

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

What’s your regular fuel consumption?

And what trailer were you towing?

roughly 10.5. Not a lot of driving yet. No high way driving. I am pulling 16x7 pro starr bullet

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

How does it start in cold weather? Be an issue if no block heater in minus 20 ish weather? Thanks 

Not sure yet. No problem at -12c. I don't think there will be an issue at -20c . -40c might be a different story

3 hours ago, RotaxMike said:

Not sure yet. No problem at -12c. I don't think there will be an issue at -20c . -40c might be a different story

Most diesels especially turbos needs to be plugged in after minus 20 C or so. Cold weather starts with glow plugs can shorten turbo’s Life. Learned that on my telehandler. Went thru two turbo’s and then finally agreed, I needed a block heater kit. They don’t normally use them Only glow plugs. Always blew a cold day after starting on glow plugs. No issue since I have been using block heater now. Truck could be different design though. 

8 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Most diesels especially turbos needs to be plugged in after minus 20 C or so. Cold weather starts with glow plugs can shorten turbo’s Life. Learned that on my telehandler. Went thru two turbo’s and then finally agreed, I needed a block heater kit. They don’t normally use them Only glow plugs. Always blew a cold day after starting on glow plugs. No issue since I have been using block heater now. Truck could be different design though. 

I will look into that. Thanks

2 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

I've started a lot of heavy equipment in weather colder than min 20 and never had it plugged in or turbo issues

I dunno even dealer was puzzled. It would puke out engine oil thru turbo and out exhaust and have no power. Always happened on a real cold day after start up. Now I am using block heater and so far hasn’t happened again. Shouldn’t do that I agree and they covered two turbo’s under warranty. If it does it again I am trading it no doubt. 

i would say check the crankcase blow tube for freezing up, i have seen that happen before and puke out the oil and seize an engine

Edited by ToSlow
  • Thanks 1

The 3.0L D Max, uses new ceramic glow plugs designed for quicker cold startups.  GMC doesn't recommend the block heater until -25... IMO, and my brother in laws opinion,  who is a Cat diesel mechanic at the Mary River Iron Ore mine, says for most of us in the southern Ontario area, no need for block heaters.  Both his Ford Excursion and F 350 dually,  very rarely get plugged in, even sitting at the family property near Greenwater provincial park.  He also says, it doesn't hurt using them. I do like GMs block heater plug in location now. No cords hanging out the front any more. The trucks that come with block heaters, come with a adapter that plugs into the plug outlet then into a extension cord.  My new style '19 Silverado has one also. 

Another interesting thing about the 3.0L D Max, is the belt driven oil pump. It runs off the back of the crankshaft,  which GMC recommends a service interval of 150,000 miles.  Of course the tranny, and transfer case need to be pulled, in order to service that. Interesting,  since the fuel pump and camshafts are chain driven..