New trailer

soupkids

First time towing and boy does it change my gas mileage.

Normally run 10 to 12 l/100, currently running 28 to 30 l/100, WOW.

Edited by soupkids

6 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Larger enclosed trailers make a big difference with drag, I remember when I first switched to a full sized enclosed trailer years ago.

28 to 30 does seem a bit on the high side though, you given her $hit, some big hills, all up hill.....

You have a Ram if I recall.

10 minutes ago, soupkids said:

That does seem a bit up there, are you running a gaser or  diesel? I got an ecoboost and get about 10.5-11 on average but towing puts it around 15-21 also depending on your terrain and driving habits etc. 

Trailer had a stove in it on the way over to camp, will have sleds in it on the way home

My buddy has similar trailer to your new one but tandem axle. He pulls with F150 with 5L and was at 23l/100km travelling at 105km/hr.

What RPM are these engines running with the tow/haul mode engaged at the KPH you want to drive ??

I have 8 trailers. Mostly for work. Only enclosed is my aluminum hybrid sled trailer. If all my open flat decks or landscape trailers are empty the sled trailer the worst one to pull. It’s by far the lightest of the fleet however the toughest to pull because it acts like a kite.
I have a F250 with the 6.2 gasser and hauling down 401 I’m probably 22L/100km. The 35s definitely don’t help the mileage but who buys a truck for good fuel economy. I’m also not the easiest on the pedal as I’m trying to get to/from a job site or to sled destination. 

Edited by Dragon600

1 minute ago, Dragon600 said:

I have 8 trailers. Mostly for work. Only enclosed is my aluminum hybrid sled trailer. If all my open flat decks or landscape trailers are empty the sled trailer the worst one to pull. It’s by far the lightest of the fleet however the toughest to pull because it acts like a kite.
I have a F250 with the 6.2 gasser and hauling down 401 I’m probably 22L/100km. The 35s definitely don’t help the mileage but who buys a truck for good fuel economy. 

Who sleds and tows sleds for fuel mileage.  Soupkids, my Triton PR and Silverado get better mileage than that. Wow. Better buy some oil stock..

Im running a 5.0 2012 F150, I just bought my first enclosed trailer (homemade) so it will be interesting to see the fuel difference. Im running 16L/100 KM as is no trailer. With it im going to guess itll be over 20, but it didnt seem to use much more when I pulled it the 100 km I did today. Little slower acceleration but thats to be expected, also, it was empty, so that also plays a big part. 

24 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Who sleds and tows sleds for fuel mileage.  Soupkids, my Triton PR and Silverado get better mileage than that. Wow. Better buy some oil stock..

Same guys who bitches about permit prices...... lol

Seriously though, something must be wrong to see those numbers or some serious head wind up some big hills.

• Like 1

I was traveling from sudbury to manitoulin island.

Truck has the 8 speed tranny and 5.7 l hemi, it seemed to like to stay in 7th, around 2500-3000 rpm.

I was in tow haul the whole way which hold the gears a LOT longer.

I not concerned about the gas, it is what it is, was just kinda surprised at the mileage.

I also had 20 gallons of water and 5 gallons of gas In the back of the truck.

Trailer pulls straight and true as it should.

You must have a 3.55 axle.

8 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

You must have a 3.55 axle.

3:21

25 minutes ago, soupkids said:

3:21

If so, then you are driving awful fast with that trailer in 7th gear, hence your bad fuel economy.

2017 5.3 Z71 Chevy  pulling Prostar Hybrid  2 wide    went to Val Dor  1689 km    18.4 L 100km   Longest trip for this truck   Usually North bay or so,  Fill in Sturgeon falls and on fumes in Guelph    All down hill so much better on fuel   :rotflmao:    Really makes a difference on how much you put your foot in it  but we all know that for years    I really would like to try an inline Lightning like Blake got the day we picked them up      I see the prices for the trailers took quite a jump 

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

If so, then you are driving awful fast with that trailer in 7th gear, hence your bad fuel economy.

110 or so

51 minutes ago, soupkids said:

110 or so

That is not fast at all for a car or even a huge Rambo pickup, BUT, when pulling a barn door through the air, the amount of drag increases exponentially with the amount of speed.

Sorta the same a the pestilence spreading factor.

Got the sleds loaded in the trailer, had to drag one with the quad, wouldn't start, grrr.

Will try to grab some pics later.

Off to cut some cedar to mill up next spring.

I have never calculated mileage on anything I put fuel in - ever. lol, I put gas in, when the needle is close to E - I fill up and keep going.

I could not tell what kind of mileage I get on anything lol 

39 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I have never calculated mileage on anything I put fuel in - ever. lol, I put gas in, when the needle is close to E - I fill up and keep going.

I'm pretty much the same.

57 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I get readings on the display of the truck

43 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I get readings on the display of the truck

Its possible mine might show it, have never looked to be honest - but goes back to I don't care either, is what it is.

I will and do check mine that is on the display, cannot be bothered to hand calculate like some do.

Does seeing it change my driving habits or deter me from buying a truck, etc......no, not at all, but I like to see what it is displaying.

I think the biggest reason I like to see what it says is it can give me an idea if something is not quite right or what conditions I am driving in that either gets me great mileage (for a 3/4 ton truck that is) or $hitty mileage.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stoney said:

I will and do check mine that is on the display, cannot be bothered to hand calculate like some do.

Does seeing it change my driving habits or deter me from buying a truck, etc......no, not at all, but I like to see what it is displaying.

I think the biggest reason I like to see what it says is it can give me an idea if something is not quite right or what conditions I am driving in that either gets me great mileage (for a 3/4 ton truck that is) or $hitty mileage.

Same reason I look at mine. If I'm running the highway no load, no heavy wind and my consumption is significantly different then there's likely a problem