new ride for the wife.

zoso

1 hour ago, zoso said:

they also make hydrolic wheels the deploy with the press of a button. Every sled in quebec seems to have whhels of some sort on the skis, the venture we just bought does as well. Those and the snow trackers are very popular there.

Yes....here is a link:

https://www.snowtracker.com/index.php/en/products/wheeltracker-en

Beaucoup d' argent. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ox said:

Fish:

OK, so what's the wheels on the skis?

They don't look like they are going to carry the front end into the trailer - doo they?

Or maybe some ice scratcher of sorts?

as others have mentioned, they are fold down wheels that I use on bare pavement (Gas stations, restaurants, motels, etc) or to move around in the shop.

The ones I have on are Rouskis, which have served me well for 3 years. If I had to replace them I would go for the hydraulic ones. PITA to have to dismount to engage/disengage them!

8 hours ago, Ox said:

OK, so what's the wheels on the skis?

With age, one gets forgetful - answered this for you around two years ago!:-D

4 hours ago, Bigfish said:

If I had to replace them I would go for the hydraulic ones. PITA to have to dismount to engage/disengage them!

With age, one gets lazy....concur with your assessment.:grin: efficient maybe a better descriptor 

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, slomo said:

With age, one gets forgetful - answered this for you around two years ago!:-D

With age, one gets lazy....concur with your assessment.:grin: efficient maybe a better descriptor 

you have made the correct perfect choice zozo ...... she will be happy and engaged in your passion..... problem solved....

Good choice Zoso.I hope she enjoys it.

Di has been riding her '12 Vector for several years now and she says it has made a big difference in how long she can ride due to reduced shoulder fatigue. Its getting to the time that I'd like to replace her sled but I don't see anything on the market now that would make her as comfortable.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Good choice Zoso.I hope she enjoys it.

Di has been riding her '12 Vector for several years now and she says it has made a big difference in how long she can ride due to reduced shoulder fatigue. Its getting to the time that I'd like to replace her sled but I don't see anything on the market now that would make her as comfortable.

A 600 etec would be a good choice probabily in 129” length. They are light to steer. Really miss mine, Over 900 four stroke. Had one of each and etec would,  Would be sled of choice to ride later in day. Felt so light coming off 900 especially in twisty trails. I will have another one in stable in near future. Never rode Yamaha with power steering so not sure how it compares to etec. Imagine it would be close though. 

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

A 600 etec would be a good choice probabily in 129” length. They are light to steer. Really miss mine, Over 900 four stroke. Had one of each and etec would,  Would be sled of choice to ride later in day. Felt so light coming off 900 especially in twisty trails. I will have another one in stable in near future. Never rode Yamaha with power steering so not sure how it compares to etec. Imagine it would be close though. 

The issue with the Doo is it a higher sitting sled that can not be unpredictable when going down the trail whereas the Yami in the chassis Di has is more of the older couch style that is more predictable, even though I know some say the Yami has its quirks as well.

I know when my wife rode years ago, she always liked to ride the F7 that I kept around and her reason was it was a lower siting sled more like a couch that she was comfortable riding.......if she gets back into sledding again, I have always had the Yami in my head as the sled she would likely feel the same on.

My wife drove BFB's 16 Venture for a day a couple of winters ago, and really liked the power steering. The high weight of the sled didn't bother her too much. 

6 hours ago, stoney said:

The issue with the Doo is it a higher sitting sled that can not be unpredictable when going down the trail whereas the Yami in the chassis Di has is more of the older couch style that is more predictable, even though I know some say the Yami has its quirks as well.

I know when my wife rode years ago, she always liked to ride the F7 that I kept around and her reason was it was a lower siting sled more like a couch that she was comfortable riding.......if she gets back into sledding again, I have always had the Yami in my head as the sled she would likely feel the same on.

I have her Vector set up with Tuner skis and 4 inch carbides. Combined with the weight and the lower seat height, it gives her the stable/planted feel she's looking for.  If the sled follows a ski rut she will complain that the sled is trying to throw her off....lol

Honestly, that Vector is very hard to upset. It just plows through every obstacle.

I have a '15 XP 800 that she has ridden and finds it acceptable but the higher seat height makes it feel tippy to her.  The XP, IMO, is heavier to steer and gets twitchy when the speed comes up. I'd really prefer to keep her on a 4 stroke too.

I was leaning towards a 900 or 900T last year. Just dial some weight off the skis in set up or go to a ski with less bite to keep the steering light. She doesn't need it to corner on rails.

The 900T would be if I sold my XP800 and her Vector and use it as a replacement for both. The 800 is a backup sled since no one wants to ride that Vector but her.

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have her Vector set up with Tuner skis and 4 inch carbides. Combined with the weight and the lower seat height, it gives her the stable/planted feel she's looking for.  If the sled follows a ski rut she will complain that the sled is trying to throw her off....lol

Honestly, that Vector is very hard to upset. It just plows through every obstacle.

I have a '15 XP 800 that she has ridden and finds it acceptable but the higher seat height makes it feel tippy to her.  The XP, IMO, is heavier to steer and gets twitchy when the speed comes up. I'd really prefer to keep her on a 4 stroke too.

I was leaning towards a 900 or 900T last year. Just dial some weight off the skis in set up or go to a ski with less bite to keep the steering light. She doesn't need it to corner on rails.

The 900T would be if I sold my XP800 and her Vector and use it as a replacement for both. The 800 is a backup sled since no one wants to ride that Vector but her.

Xs is more stable then Xp sleds. Even new gen 4 is totally different and has an even lighter feel,  I was told. Skidoo has fixed that twitchy handling feeling. I don’t notice that with my 900, just a little more work to turn it, in twisty’s I find. Doesn’t dart if you adjust ts ski’s for conditions. Maybe better get a demo first if you can. Everyone is different and really need to spend some seat time to know. Keep changing models so fast, hard to keep up. Dealer told me most females like 900 especially with the wire by throttle that can be flipped to use your hand too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

6 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Xs is more stable then Xp sleds. Even new gen 4 is totally different and has an even lighter feel,  I was told. Skidoo has fixed that twitchy handling feeling. I don’t notice that with my 900, just a little more work to turn it, in twisty’s I find. Doesn’t dart if you adjust ts ski’s for conditions. Maybe better get a demo first if you can. Everyone is different and really need to spend some seat time to know. Keep changing models so fast, hard to keep up. Dealer told me most females like 900 especially with the wire by throttle that can be flipped to use your hand too. 

Good to know. Thanks.

For now it will be another year on the Vector.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:54 PM, zoso said:

2013 venture. I am sure she will love it. Power steering and a nice big warm windshield should keep her happy all day.received_195622802200165.thumb.jpeg.953f48883123ea1b0a22fd440f4e68ee.jpeg

I run a 2013 Vector LTX. I'm also a Biteharder Ambassador (disclaimer). I've been running the Biteharder Tuning Rings on the sled 2.25 seasons. The short of it, for me they work. Here is the scenario: Saddlebag trip, fair bit of snow the night before, the next day (even with Snow trackers) I'm sliding thru corners and really have to watch my line coming into the corner. That night (Duberville) I installed the Polytune Rings on the front springs, otherwise I was going to tighten the springs to increase the spring pressure. The next day, I found that I had better bite in the corners, and still had some suspension give to absorb the bumps(I didnt change the spring compression). Venture, is much heavier than my Vector, so maybe she wont have the same issue on fresh snow. Not that expensive.

Summary: Consider them for the relatively "low" cost to improve cornering with fresh snow. Placement is a bit of an art. If you ever buy them, ping me.

20200410_113627 (1).jpg

20180214_125558.jpg

So - that takes "travel" (compression) out of one helix of the spring?

It increases the rate like using a shorter torsion bar.

3 hours ago, Ox said:

So - that takes "travel" (compression) out of one helix of the spring?

Yes, but I also run the Medium ring vice the more firm ring ( I didn't notice any difference so stayed with Medium). The ring has a bit of compression to it, and I run it a bit higher on the spring so as to maximize the bottom spring area. I only notice it in the corners where I get that bit of added ski pressure, especially in new snow. 

Edited by Gadgetman

I used something that worked just like the Biteharder Ambassador on the rear coil springs of my 1988 Plymouth Reliant. Purchased from CTC. We used to grossly overload that car with camping gear & those spacers in the rear coil springs kept the rear end from sagging. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/superior-18-1901-18907-spring-booster-0220018p.html

Edited by XTC500

3 minutes ago, XTC500 said:

I used something that worked just like the Biteharder Ambassador on the rear coil springs of my 1988 Plymouth Reliant. Purchased from CTC. We used to grossly overload that car with camping gear & those spacers in the rear coil springs kept the rear end from sagging. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/superior-18-1901-18907-spring-booster-0220018p.html

Back in the late 60's CTC had what would look like a piece of the ring your picture shows that we would stuff in the coil springs to get a lift effect.

A 2by worked fine on my chums Chevelle.

Then you're always sliding off the bloody seat!

7 hours ago, Ox said:

A 2by worked fine on my chums Chevelle.

Then you're always sliding off the bloody seat!

Have you priced lumber these days? These are almost cheaper! Few sled accessories are this cheap, in my opinion. (And yes, I know what they say about opinions!)

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2020 at 6:53 AM, Wildbill said:

It is the old 540 but with much improved carburation and possibly porting to vastly improve fuel economy.

We bought a new non current 2018 for our club, much better on fuel ,same bulletproof 540 Yamaha fan

got mine this 4 years ago  GSX 900 Ace

she loves it,so quiet u can hear the track moving and the throttle pull is nothing

probably the easiest sled i have ever ridden

mike

IMG_20171229_153131.jpg

Edited by mikern
  • Like 6