Newbie with some stupid questions

Kier

20 minutes ago, Kier said:

No, but I started the sled monthly and let it run to keep its from seizing, which I read up on online and they said if it was started monthly that was good for it? I also used fuel stabilizer, and he put all new gas in. Hopefully wasnt something I did, but hed already put some KM on it before it happened... 

Sounds like you were trying your best. Ever since a guy I know had his seize on an early ride, I've been a big fan of fogging 2 stoke engines when putting them away. His Doo showed signs of rust in the bottom end when the dealer opened it up. Sled had been kept in the trailer during the off season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Sounds like you were trying your best. Ever since a guy I know had his seize on an early ride, I've been a big fan of fogging 2 stoke engines when putting them away. His Doo showed signs of rust in the bottom end when the dealer opened it up. Sled had been kept in the trailer during the off season. 

My intentions was to fog it, but I got deployed on 4 days notice, which left me having to move out of my place, so the sled went to hunt camp, I had the guys start er monthly while I was away. So i did some quick research, and said it was good if I just started it monthly. 

• Like 1

JMO. If you do the monthly start up during the offseason, make sure you let the motor get good and warm/hot. Your heat exchangers should be warm/hot before you shut it down. If you don't, you are just creating an ideal environment for increased moisture/condensation in your engine and hence rust issues in the bottom end. You are actually doing more damage than good. 

Yeah, you doo want to let it warm up, but starting regularly is good to keep the carbs fresh.

I love the new machine with the fuel infection and all.

I can go to the garage and fire it up and walk away.

It shuts down in a few minutes if no rider input, so I might have to go fire it back up one more time.

Rust inside the motor can normally be pointed to synthetic oil, as it has very little "sticky" to cling to surfaces.

I wouldn't run synthetic in an older machine.

I've never seen any rust inside any of my motors.

Edited by Ox

21 hours ago, Ox said:

Yeah, you doo want to let it warm up, but starting regularly is good to keep the carbs fresh.

I love the new machine with the fuel infection and all.

I can go to the garage and fire it up and walk away.

It shuts down in a few minutes if no rider input, so I might have to go fire it back up one more time.

Rust inside the motor can normally be pointed to synthetic oil, as it has very little "sticky" to cling to surfaces.

I wouldn't run synthetic in an older machine.

I've never seen any rust inside any of my motors.

I ran synthetic in all my two strokes and not one engine went down. Maybe I was just lucky but put high miles on most of them, 10,000 plus except 600 etec I sold it at 7000, cause of a death in family. My uncle is still using our 2007 Polaris and it is run on Polaris gold oil. Must have close to 20,000 km’s now. 

Fogged all our 2 smokes faithfully !!!     Stabilized full tank of fuel with ethanol fuel stabilizer      never had an  issue     usually ran Ski Doo 600s     and the Confusion too   Left in the old bank barn for the summer so very dry area    always start right up in fall    but will admit I would trade before 10000km

My 02 GT hs been fogged every year I have owned it.  Bought it rebuilt from dealer with 11500 km on it. Just put a new track on it last year.  Currently at 21500 km. Been a rock solid machine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave K said:

My 02 GT hs been fogged every year I have owned it.  Bought it rebuilt from dealer with 11500 km on it. Just put a new track on it last year.  Currently at 21500 km. Been a rock solid machine.

They are good motors. My 583 went 27,000 km’s and I never fogged engine. New etecs are nice because of self fogging feature. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Update, I never got the sled going and missed all of last season. Had no intentions of buying another sled this year after last but ended up giving into temptation and buying a 96 Formula Z, 583. Hopefully it runs better then the last sled. Patiently waiting for snow now. 

• Like 2