Enclosed snowmobile trailer advise

soupkids

30 minutes ago, Ox said:

Good intentions, but Timken closed up (most?) of it's facility in Canton some years ago and makes them in China now too.

They were stamped USA, only prerequisite I had to was replace with non China made bearings.  I think some of their automotive bearings are still made is the US.  I bought them on amazon and would have been shipped back same day if I saw China on the side of them.  

• Like 1

I bought a Timkin driveshaft hanger bearing for my Dakota thinking it was decent.  It said "Made in China" on the box.

I'm sure that most any name brand - that has been made in China - is going to be better than brand name "Made in China".

However - you need to be carefull with that too - as with many business's that close, the name and intelectual property are sometimes also sold, and if the Chinc's buy that, then fagetabootit....

They could'a been NOS just as easy tho too.

Edited by Ox

I pulled the trigger on the Denali trailer.

It has 6 d ring tie downs.

Back door opens of course but it has 2 doors in the front to drive off which is cool.

3500 # axle and springs with electric brakes, trailer is hefty at 2200 # but it's all steel construction with aluminum skin.

Comes factory under coated with large 15" wheels.

I'm going to add ski guides to it and figure out how to get my super clamps to work.

• Like 1

I have had a Triton TC118 since 2014 when I bought it new. It has been a great trailer and at the time I bought, other similar trailers were all close in price range.....Triton I think was slightly more, but it also came with more features and better built, IMO.

The only issues I have had is my one tire valve stem started to leak about a month ago and I need to replace the 1" Black vinyl trim insert that covers all the screws down both sides every couple of years because the sun dries it out.

Looking at the prices now, I think I might be able to almost sell it for close to what I paid.......:crazy:

14 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I pulled the trigger on the Denali trailer.

It has 6 d ring tie downs.

Back door opens of course but it has 2 doors in the front to drive off which is cool.

3500 # axle and springs with electric brakes, trailer is hefty at 2200 # but it's all steel construction with aluminum skin.

Comes factory under coated with large 15" wheels.

I'm going to add ski guides to it and figure out how to get my super clamps to work.

Congrats!

Did you keep the eye bolt that came with the super clamps when you bought yours to fasten it through the floor vs. the quick slide eyelet? 

Seeing people use and talk about using that lattice on the floor vs. ski guides, seems like a great idea!

9 hours ago, stoney said:

Congrats!

Did you keep the eye bolt that came with the super clamps when you bought yours to fasten it through the floor vs. the quick slide eyelet? 

Seeing people use and talk about using that lattice on the floor vs. ski guides, seems like a great idea!

I'm keeping all the SC hardware.

I like the lattice idea but dont want the sleds to slide around so not sure exactly sure what I'm going to do yet.

17 hours ago, Ox said:

I'm sure that most any name brand - that has been made in China - is going to be better than brand name "Made in China".

However - you need to be carefull with that too - as with many business's that close, the name and intelectual property are sometimes also sold, and if the Chinc's buy that, then fagetabootit....

They could'a been NOS just as easy tho too.

China doesn't have a lot of legacy manufacturing plants. Most are relatively new and equipped with new or recent technology. They will build whatever the customer wants. If the customer wants high end quality, that's what they will build. If the customer wants mid level or mediocre quality that's what they will build. It all comes down to what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

One of the best things I have done for the trailer is use a piece of 2" black plastic plumbing pipe to fill the gap between the ramp and the floor of the trailer. The skis ride up and over the gap going in or out.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, 02Sled said:

One of the best things I have done for the trailer is use a piece of 2" black plastic plumbing pipe to fill the gap between the ramp and the floor of the trailer. The skis ride up and over the gap going in or out.

I do the same. Also plastic privacy lattice. Easy the slide front end. Just tie down with good straps

7 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I do the same. Also plastic privacy lattice. Easy the slide front end. Just tie down with good straps

Have any pics ?

Still trying to figure out in my head how skis with carbide runners will run over plastic lattice or just get caught if traveling slow into/out of trailer.

1 hour ago, ecarnell said:

Have any pics ?

Still trying to figure out in my head how skis with carbide runners will run over plastic lattice or just get caught if traveling slow into/out of trailer.

Check the "what did you do today" thread  Nov. 18th post by AC&YA. Scott has provided a number of good pictures of the lattice installed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Check the "what did you do today" thread  Nov. 18th post by AC&YA. Scott has provided a number of good pictures of the lattice installed.

That project looked real good  Would like cool with some Edison lights   Like a patio :cheers:

The lattice works way better than I expected.   It is NOT slippery regardless of what everything thinks.  

D48B40CB-FCF3-42FF-A1F5-31D7B2F7DC47.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Merci!

going to pick up a sheet for the shed that I park a sled in - and do trailer also if works out (which by all accounts looks like it should!)

E

On 11/27/2020 at 8:31 PM, Arctic JC said:

They were stamped USA, only prerequisite I had to was replace with non China made bearings.  I think some of their automotive bearings are still made is the US.  I bought them on amazon and would have been shipped back same day if I saw China on the side of them.  

Chinese manufactured bearings are fine if left in the packaging they are shipped in. However they would be fine for roller skates and skate boards. I place them on parr with Chinese manufactured tooling. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, snapper said:

Chinese manufactured bearings are fine if left in the packaging they are shipped in. However they would be fine for roller skates and skate boards. I place them on parr with Chinese manufactured tooling. 

i had chinese bearings that came stock on cat last over 60000 kms on the brake side of the diamond drive, the dry side, they are still going. the chinese bearings in the bogey wheels lasted 40k kms. interesting to say the least. 

9 hours ago, stoney said:

Did you nail your lattice to floor?

Yes.    I used my dads brad nailer to secure it.  

20 hours ago, scottyr said:

The lattice works way better than I expected.   It is NOT slippery regardless of what everything thinks.  

D48B40CB-FCF3-42FF-A1F5-31D7B2F7DC47.jpeg

A question to the guys that have enclosed trailers.Do you use a water sealer on the wood floor and walls to give better protection? 

28 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

A question to the guys that have enclosed trailers.Do you use a water sealer on the wood floor and walls to give better protection? 

I used Thompson's on the plywood in my Toy Carrier back in 2006 when new.  I oiled the bottom of the plywood.  The floor is still in excellent shape.

• Like 1

There are 2 styles of plastic lattice. I am using privacy lattice which has smaller holes

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scottyr said:

Yes.    I used my dads brad nailer to secure it.  

I am thinking I will use screws if I install this in my trailer during the off season.

1 hour ago, snowchopper said:

No, trailer has marine grade flooring, so figured it was good.....and has been to date.

The walls is just plain plywood that has not been treated and zero concerns with it.

9 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

There are 2 styles of plastic lattice. I am using privacy lattice which has smaller holes

I was thinking the holes in the regular stuff was kind of big, need to remember this when & if I do it.

Looking at the pictures of some trailers with this installed, I think it would be a good idea to add a straight strip perpendicular to the trailer entrance & swing door entrance where the lattice starts and the carbides will likely occasionally hit the wood floor vs. the lattice based on its criss-cross design leaving some opening at its starting edge.

My ski guides have seen better days so time for an update, but the rubber mat's up the center and still in great shape, so likely leave the mats and just add the lattice around them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

that is what I used. I also have a ski guide on each side but ski that goes up the center  is on the lattice. No issues after first season.

A3824017-A3EC-4E13-96CC-5B910A5908BF.jpeg

5530FFEB-2E76-4057-8CAA-A405D9E50E3E.jpeg

Edited by barberch
Add pictures
  • Like 3