Enclosed snowmobile trailer advise

soupkids

16 hours ago, zoso said:

i had chinese bearings that came stock on cat last over 60000 kms on the brake side of the diamond drive, the dry side, they are still going. the chinese bearings in the bogey wheels lasted 40k kms. interesting to say the least. 

I had 6 Cats with Diamond Drives and never an issue with any bearings in the drives or brake side double bearings on the shaft.  Those doubles were big bearings and doubled up.  I pulled the drive shaft on an M8 once because the shield had been torn up by fence wire on the drive side. (Not sure how it got wrapped around there.)  Those bearings were like new at 8K miles.  Had two Crossfire 700's go over 30K miles & no issues.  The motors were also bullet proof 2-strokes.

The newer China bearings Cat buys & I have had no luck with in Cats since 2016 are all single bearings and many have failed and failed again the next season.  I have always made it back from rides, but barely sometimes.  I check all in the undercarriage after each season and many are not running smooth.  I have found that some are the same size as those on the Doos.  My dealer carries all brands and the Doo bearings are better and some actually made in the USA.  I just re-grease the good ones and none of the ones I have switched over have failed yet.  The Yamaha and Cat China Bearings seem to have poor quality and life. 

• Like 1

Thanks, AC+YA. Great explanation and info., moving forward.

I have found that new NTN Taiwan bearings in the idlers are not much better. The 6004's need washing out and greasing every year to run smooth.  The loose slide fit of the left track drive bearing is the biggest design problem of current Cats.  Lots of spun bearings and destroyed drive shafts.  Mine will need welding and machining in the spring to save the shaft assy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I have found that new NTN Taiwan bearings in the idlers are not much better. The 6004's need washing out and greasing every year to run smooth.  The loose slide fit of the left track drive bearing is the biggest design problem of current Cats.  Lots of spun bearings and destroyed drive shafts.  Mine will need welding and machining in the spring to save the shaft assy.

Need caps. Every since I have had caps on wheels no more idler bearing issues. Keeps snirt and water out of bearings. Initially thought it was only looks but they are very functional 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

Nice try.  The wheels are not designed for any cap on either side.  Bearings with real good seals are required.

• Like 2

Very nice trailer. My only input is that I've use a 2004 Triton and it is still going strong, and nice to tow. In some ways like debating car manufactures. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 12:13 PM, scottyr said:

The lattice works way better than I expected.   It is NOT slippery regardless of what everything thinks.  

D48B40CB-FCF3-42FF-A1F5-31D7B2F7DC47.jpeg

So just how do you sweep the crap out of the trailer ?  Blow it out with compressed air ?

• Thanks 1

I don't think you will get the sand and pebbles out.  It will build up in the triangles and work its way under the lattice.  Now you have crap to hold moisture.  Like a traction mat, but all over.

• Like 1

How thick is the lattice?

I saw 0.2” thickness.  Is that right?

I am currently looking at using in my new trailer.  

20 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I don't think you will get the sand and pebbles out.  It will build up in the triangles and work its way under the lattice.  Now you have crap to hold moisture.  Like a traction mat, but all over.

Stay on top of it with a shop vac?

On 11/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, irREVerent said:

Thanks for the congrats, Blake... the colour is pewter (soft gray). And no, I didn't get the door on the street side (this trailer was already scheduled for production when I confirmed my order...too late to change anyway), but I don't really care, since I rarely gas up the sled on the trailer -- almost always try to fill it while on the trail.PXL_20201124_203116296.thumb.jpg.de8dd0b63c596bfcfc662e55e3de3c27.jpgPXL_20201124_203206273.thumb.jpg.70f4f8c74474a0054ccb1c0aff673c38.jpg

nIce@ you can always add a fuel door which is what I did with my 7x16 ameralite. Money well spend and an easy DIY install.

• Thanks 1

The lattice works way better than I expected.   It is NOT slippery regardless of what everything thinks.  

Looks like the same trailer I bought. Is it a 6×14 made by Forest River and sold at Action Trailers. 

20201120_141036.jpg

3 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Looks like the same trailer I bought. Is it a 6×14 made by Forest River and sold at Action Trailers. 

20201120_141036.jpg

20201120_141134.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thetorches said:

20201120_141134.jpg

Yes sir.   I like the build quality of the trailer itself but the material that they use for the shell is beyond disappointing.    So much I am regretting buying it altogether.    Mine is charcoal grey and the panel colour doesnt match and the panels are wavier than the ocean.   My NEO trailer was not this wavy by any stretch.    

I noticed the waves. Thought this was normal. My first enclosed trailer. I'd been looking for awhile and this was the best deal I could find for an aluminum trailer. Hopefully it holds up. Time will tell. Good luck.

12 hours ago, thetorches said:

I noticed the waves. Thought this was normal. My first enclosed trailer. I'd been looking for awhile and this was the best deal I could find for an aluminum trailer. Hopefully it holds up. Time will tell.

I think you will be fine. Given a solid rib structure, a certain amount of flex is probably needed for expansion and contraction due to temp changing. Too tight would pop the fasteners right out during summer heat. 

• Like 1

Thanks Slomo. Hope your right. Floor, ceiling and walls are all 16" on center. Seems solid.