mike37

Remembering Dave (SledJunk)

8 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

201BB180-C995-4B4C-91C2-EAD9BA8A69C0.jpeg

I can't get over the looks on Bob & Dave's faces.

I didn't realize your Dad had died. Condolences.

I was hoping to bump into you two out on the trails around Muskoka some time

Edited by Blake G
4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

He was 73? . My dad died last spring at 74. Real eye opener too. I think,  I will retire at 60. That’s enough for me. My chance of living past 75 is slim I think. 

It's ham radio code:

http://www.signalharbor.com/73.html

• Thanks 2

Dave's obituary was posted on Facebook by mike37:

https://forrestandtaylor.com/tribute/details/1411/David-Marzetti/obituary.html

Edited by Blake G
  • Thanks 8

RIP, condolences to his family & friends

14 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

He was 73? . My dad died last spring at 74. Real eye opener too. I think,  I will retire at 60. That’s enough for me. My chance of living past 75 is slim I think. 

My father died @ 69 so I retired @ 62-just turned 67-stress is a big killer!

• Like 1

The way that was written - I suspected that it meant sumpthing, but I didn't know what.

Looks like he 86'd it eh?

1 hour ago, Muskoka1 said:

My father died @ 69 so I retired @ 62-just turned 67-stress is a big killer!

I think our fathers' experiences weigh on us. My grandfather retired in 1965 @ age 65 w/ 42 years of service & then passed away in 3 years (I was 6). My father always said he'd retire as soon as he could. He did when he was 55 and enjoyed a great retirement. He passed away due to leukemia in his 78th year.

My plan was the same but it was moved up sooner due to corporate restructuring.

One day in the shop I was thinking, next month I'll be 40 and in Jan' I'll have 21 years of service. 'Oh cripes that's just half of what Grandpa put in!'

Need to enjoy each day that you have been given, never know what tomorrow brings......it is easier said than done of course.

If you believe John 3:16, than you can sleep well knowing there is more than just this.....if you do not, well, there is still time to reconsider......

• Like 4

Unfortunately 65 or death will be it for me - haven't saved enough, don't make enough to save more than I do,  and don't have a "30 and out" job.

Is what it is - but rather than work myself into death, I just put in a good effort every day and enjoy every minute I don't have to work doing stuff with the kids and whatever else it is I feel like doing.

Life is short - don't waste it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 11/30/2020 at 7:44 PM, revrnd said:

I can't get over the looks on Bob & Dave's faces.

Is that Alex  Trebeck on the left?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Is that Alex  Trebeck on the left?

Yup. They were playing at a Old Age Home and the guy in the middle pointed at him and said, “I would like to buy a Bowel”.  

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1
On 12/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, Strong Farmer said:

73 is a greeting in Ham Radio terms

• Like 1
On 12/3/2020 at 12:55 AM, SlowTouringGuy said:

Yup. They were playing at a Old Age Home and the guy in the middle pointed at him and said, “I would like to buy a Bowel”.  

I think you have your game shows mixed up...

Only met Dave 1 time, we spent a weekend up in Deep river, took a punishing ride in/out of Mattawa..  I never met anyone who loved the sport as much as Dave. RIP my friend. Hope there are Yamaha's where you've arrived.

• Like 3

i met sledjunk in the westway parking lot  few years back, i had seen his name on the forum LOTS so i stopped to chat while he was outside getting his sled ready for the day. great guy for sure, sorry to hear. RIP 

Edited by diesel04
  • Like 1

The Westway. Fond memories. Dave and I went on back-to-back snowmobile trips in late March, early April one year. Who does that, how and why? 

Who? Sledjunk. He had a great sled ( Yamaha). We took that old railroad line from Cochrane to Quebec. Not his favourite trail. Not enough turns -  oh, you race rally cars? You like corners? Not the trail for you :)

How? By snowmobile. Under his own power eastbound to Quebec. Where we had dinner, a coffee and split 25 litres of fuel to get back to Cochrane ( no gas station, just $50 Jerry cans back then ). We each had fuel left in the tank...why fill up? Get home gas. Until his sled broke down. As we're heading back to Cochrane. He pulled out so many McIver tools. I believe he was " 2 tools and a welder" from a trailside repair. So I towed him back to Quebec. 50 kms? We had to have been halfway. Coin toss as to which way we were proceeding. The Quebec restaurant owner drove us back to Ontario after midnight. Where we got our truck/trailer, returned to Quebec for sleds in the morning. Loaded the sleds. My sled ran out of fuel on the ramp up into the trailer. That was close ! ( astute  sledders will say his sled had 50 km of unused range in his towed sled. No siphon hose to draw gas. Lesson learned). Drove to Toronto. Quietly.

Why? Because Dave couldn't end the season ' on the hook '. Towed by another sled. I picked him up 6 days later ( sled fixed! ) and we went back to the Westway, in Cochrane. Ventured north this time. To the dam. Last day of operations for fuel up there. Returned to the hotel.

Met White Dragon and his buddy, Bill. Told them it's closed for gas up north. So they strapped huge, red gas cans onto the very capable looking Polaris snowmobiles. Problem. Solution. Welcome to the north. Welcome to Ontario snowmobiling. Welcome to oc.com, for WD, as far as I know.

It was an incredible 2 weekends. Trails, some hardship, but oddly enough it was seeing two ( slightly ) younger men brush off the perils ahead that made what Dave and I went through that night seem tame. We did it. So what. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

Who does that, how and why? Dave did it, on many trips and for his own reasons. Thanks for letting me (us) be part of the journey.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

I enjoyed reading that, Canuck.

• Like 1

Just heard the news my thoughts go to you hope you get through this

Wow I can't believe he's gone I rode with him and his son the year before last I have his previous trailer this really sucks great guy.

He will be greatly missed 

• Like 1

We all have sledding episodes that are maddening or worse @ the time. But those are the trips we remember and talk about years later.

• Like 3

Just logged on for this season and to see a fellow sledder has passed... My condolences to all family and friends. I can see that he touched a lot of lives in a great way.  Will miss seeing his Avatar and posts here.