Remembering Dave (SledJunk)

mike37

21 hours ago, Ms SJ said:

I always laughed with Dad about the name ‘Sledjunk’ – it was never meant to be a “name”. He liked to have different email addresses for his hobbies and interests to keep things separate, ending in junk, and so for sledding it was sledjunk. When he joined the forum many years ago, he thought of it as a resource to help plan trips that him and Adrian could take; and so out of laziness just used sledjunk as his avatar name, thinking he would just post the odd question or comment here and there.

When he told me that he was meeting someone IRL from the forum for the first time, we joked around about the danger of meeting random strangers from the internet – to stay in a public place, and don’t be shy to scream for help if they try to lure you away somewhere. Sorry to whoever it was that he was meeting – we didn’t know if you were a serial killer or not. From there, Dad got to meet many more of you and have the privilege of riding with you.

I can barely remember a time that Dad didn’t have a computer hooked up in his car, so of course he would have gadgets on his sled. And it was annoying for him to run into a situation on a trail that required a tool or two and him not having it, knowing full well he had several sitting in his garage – so he started accruing more and more tools in his saddlebags to be prepared for anything. To Adrian and I – this was Dad being Dad. To you, this was “Sledjunk”. It’s all of you that made a lazy avatar name an identity.

Without this forum, and more importantly the people on this forum, it’s hard to say whether Dad would have loved sledding as much as he did. He wouldn’t have racked up the many kilometers that he did each season both with the sled and trailer. I wouldn’t have tried sledding if it wasn’t for all the stories I heard about his adventures – sledding would’ve stayed a father-son activity that occurred a few times each winter. Thank you for looking out and keeping Dad safe on the trails all these years. It’s comforting to know that there is a large community that loved Dad as much as we did and is grieving with us. Thank you.

Dad.jpg.dd9cd5a7a4fd86d7563d1ddab5996021.jpg

Sledjunk reading the forum

Hello Miss SJ. I never met your dad but would read his interesting posts. From all the posts on  here he sounds like he was a great guy. I'm so sorry for your families and all his snowmobile buddies loss.

• Like 2

I am finding the loss of Dave very difficult to comprehend as I still work and am concerned everyday going into work because of Covid-19.   I went on three rides with Dave.  One was just a day ride but the other 2 were longer trips. 

I remember the first time we met on the Kelly Shire ride in Huntsville many years ago.  I had my 16 year old son and his friend with me.  My sons friend was riding a very old gas guzzler V-Max.  Dave spent over 15 minutes talking to him about his sled and of course how it was time for him to upgrade to a newer sled. 

I rode the RAP tour with Dave and Irreverent.  On the 3rd day I rolled my sled and the windshield was all cracked up.  Dave was there to the rescue with his zip ties so that we could re-attach it and continue our journey.  He was always very very prepared when out on the trail.  I remember leaving Barry's Bay the next day when it was -40 C and neither I or Dave could see where we were going because our glasses kept fogging and freezing up.

Then there was the time in Hearst that Dave got a carbide all bent out of shape when he got it caught on the railway tracks.  Off to the local snowmobile dealer to get it fixed we all went.  My wife loved the fact that Dave had the tracker and she could see where we were on her computer at home. 

Dave has left us all a lot of great memories of great times.  I have never met anyone who wanted to spend the winter sledding the way he did.  Condolences to his family and I know this will be a very difficult time for them.  Just remember that he had so many friends that loved him so much. 

Sunderland17  

20170227_095801.jpg

• Like 11

nice words sunderland17, good tribute, to what Dave meant to us all. Ski

Condolences to the family and Daves friends.  I didn't know him but he certainly was a good person by the pages of stories and memories posted in all these pages.  RIP 

12 hours ago, sunderland17 said:

I am finding the loss of Dave very difficult to comprehend as I still work and am concerned everyday going into work because of Covid-19.   I went on three rides with Dave.  One was just a day ride but the other 2 were longer trips. 

I remember the first time we met on the Kelly Shire ride in Huntsville many years ago.  I had my 16 year old son and his friend with me.  My sons friend was riding a very old gas guzzler V-Max.  Dave spent over 15 minutes talking to him about his sled and of course how it was time for him to upgrade to a newer sled. 

I rode the RAP tour with Dave and Irreverent.  On the 3rd day I rolled my sled and the windshield was all cracked up.  Dave was there to the rescue with his zip ties so that we could re-attach it and continue our journey.  He was always very very prepared when out on the trail.  I remember leaving Barry's Bay the next day when it was -40 C and neither I or Dave could see where we were going because our glasses kept fogging and freezing up.

Then there was the time in Hearst that Dave got a carbide all bent out of shape when he got it caught on the railway tracks.  Off to the local snowmobile dealer to get it fixed we all went.  My wife loved the fact that Dave had the tracker and she could see where we were on her computer at home. 

Dave has left us all a lot of great memories of great times.  I have never met anyone who wanted to spend the winter sledding the way he did.  Condolences to his family and I know this will be a very difficult time for them.  Just remember that he had so many friends that loved him so much. 

Sunderland17  

Scott, thanks for your post...brought back some more fond memories of experiences with Dave.. 

Below is a pic of Dave's carbides after the incident you mentioned...about his run-in with the railway tracks.  Right after that crossing, he momentarily couldn't figure out why his sled was so hard to steer all of a sudden...until we stopped up the trail and had a good look at the situation...LOL,

IMG_3762.thumb.JPG.c7a13ec7813bddceb829df12d54c1609.JPG

• Like 3

Still can’t believe he is gone. Such a wonderful man. I joined Ontario Conditions several years ago because of my passion for the sport and found some great folks on here.  Lots of laughs and great sense of humor and online camaraderie.  I have always been "leary" of the people behind the “handle” when you chat online in a “forum” (and rightly so if you have ever met some of the "Critters" on here ;) ).  We decided to do a fundraiser for the Kelly Shires foundation (a separate event from the official ride where all could participate not just the ladies).  So Maple (Rene) and myself planned the event and several members of this forum participated - not sure now how many - but it was over 50 if memory serves. This was going to be exciting....as...for most on here would be the first time we all met IRL!  Finally going to put a face to the names behind the screen.  Besides Rene - who I had met prior to the event -  Sledjunk (Dave) was the first person I met upon arrival there. His huge smile was infectious, warm and welcoming and a hug I will never forget. What a wonderful man and so great to put a face to that name. That was in 2008. Since then we have had many chats about sled trips and experiences (especially liked to joke about that trailer incident...lol).  OC has allowed lots of great folks to forge great and lasting friendships over the past number of years - most now make their sled trips "annual events" together.  Our group met up with Dave on our last sled trip to the northern corridor last March, just when Covid starting shutting everything down, so our time was cut short.  We agreed that we would try to connect again in Kapuskasing this winter for a ride on our favourite trails again.  This season, He will be riding with us all  in our thoughts and memories of some great sledding we have done with him over the years. 

May you Rest In Peace Dave and may all your trails be freshly groomed. My heartfelt condolences to his family - Adrian, Larissa and Mrs. SJ  He will be sadly missed by so many.  
  • Like 14

Rip Dave, you were a giant in the sledding community.  Glad to have had the opportunity to meet you and ride with you. 

Tina and Paul (aka Livin')

• Like 2

Dave became an instant friend on our first group meeting with him in Kapuskasing. We spent a couple of nights in Kap and rode local trails with him, OntarioF7, ApeXman, WhiteDragon and his daughter Lily. We had a great time, I'm close friends with all of these guys still today.  My son Alex29 and Dave were very fond of each other and many things in common. 

Several seasons ago when the snow was scarce, I suggested having a group BBQ at my house, and some 16 people showed up !!  It was a frightening experience until the day of, having never met many of them. Your father was in the group that weekend and had an oops, got thrown from the sled and injured his back or ribs. I was happy to have brought some Advil with me that day. 

A couple of seasons ago his primary clutch let go pulling into the Companion for lunch.  I offered to let him use my garage and home for whatever he needed to see if he could get it fixed, but it was done.  The others in the group came back to fetch him and the damaged sled. We enjoyed having him join us for dinner while waiting. 

He was one of several people I've had the privilege of calling a real Friend. There was nothing I wouldn't do for him, because he was just that kind of gentleman.  I am a better person today simply because he was my friend.  My son and I (seen in one of Nunz's photos) will miss him dearly. 

I had the pleasure of talking with Adrian on Friday ... I can say with absolute certainty that Dave is not completely gone, as his son has his father's voice and many of his "ways" when he speaks.  I hear Adrian's voice, but I see his father's face. 

R.I.P. now means Ride In Peace.... so Dave, R.I.P. my Friend. 

20180125_224004.thumb.jpg.2854bc2450fd1aa4665df6cdf270c5b7.jpg

100_0430.thumb.JPG.82eb3ddcb5ee79b8939a44fedbafdfe3.JPG

Screenshot_20201127-085018_Drive.thumb.jpg.ad9780432b4f818a07db36d9639ce2dc.jpg

20180125_180942.thumb.jpg.324d801d47bfc00439e5c825e960125f.jpg

Edited by Techdenis007
  • Like 17

Three people played a pivotal role in my development as a snowmobiler. OF7, cehyoopers, and Sledjunk (Dave).  Dave was a good friend and my snowmobiling coach. I’m so grateful for everything he has taught me over the years. Here are a few of things he has helped me with or taught me. 

-he told me that Yamaha makes the best snowmobile. (I have since moved over to team skidoo and I felt so guilty doing it, sorry Dave)
-he taught me how to open up my old apex and change the battery

-he taught me how to use my gps with the sled maps.

-he got his sled stuck numerous times so he could show me the art of extracting a Yamaha (with junk) out of the rhubarb. 
-he invited me to New Liskeard to meet other great OC members. 
-he invited my son and I on a trip to elk lake with his son Adrian and OF7. 
-he invited me on 2 northern saddle bag trips 

-.... the list goes on and on. 

Thank you so much Dave. Aka “sledjunk”. I lost my friend and my coach. Ms SJ and Moosifer lost a great Dad and my thoughts are with you and your mom. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.7106d5cc32ca6c63c6321b24a6d81817.jpeg

There is only one snowmobile that SJ will ride and that’s the Yamaha vector. Unfortunately for SJ Yamaha will not be making this sled in the future. This news begged the question which team was SJ going to move to???  I was always hoping that he would walk towards skidoo and in this picture he is. (Skidoo expedition 900ace turbo would my choice for him)

• Like 5

Dave riding his sled back from the main lodge to his cabin at Tatachikapika lodge. image.thumb.jpeg.dad0c1746c06d3f392abff8579a1c3fe.jpeg

• Like 5

01726D4A-84C7-4585-AFC8-09BDBF282D92.jpeg

2826EE67-DAE5-4145-B2BC-D4547586D9A3.jpeg

31C52133-E0FE-441A-8455-86E48611B4DA.jpeg

5746CA14-3F4C-42DB-B820-2872254D8548.jpeg

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpeg.f248d9f5296511708cc5b93110cf19ba.jpegSJ has helped so many snowmobilers over the years and we are so grateful for his help. Sometimes he would graciously give us the opportunity to help him when required. This picture depicts one of those opportunities when Dave took this turn a little wide on a trail from Hearst to moonbeam. Our good friend Bob rushed to his aid on this occasion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

Sometimes he would graciously give us the opportunity to help him when required.

Good one!

Dave would've appreciated this.

• Like 6

image.thumb.jpeg.df8af8fa5a4ffcb490d617a753e9efc8.jpeg

0B16A84B-211D-47D8-8D82-E2D502DC17D7.jpeg

201BB180-C995-4B4C-91C2-EAD9BA8A69C0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re:Leaf said:

Three people played a pivotal role in my development as a snowmobiler. OF7, cehyoopers, and Sledjunk (Dave).  Dave was a good friend and my snowmobiling coach. I’m so grateful for everything he has taught me over the years. Here are a few of things he has helped me with or taught me. 

-he told me that Yamaha makes the best snowmobile. (I have since moved over to team skidoo and I felt so guilty doing it, sorry Dave)

-he taught me how to use my gps with the sled maps.

-he got his sled stuck numerous times so he could show me the art of extracting a Yamaha (with junk) out of the rhubarb. 
-he invited me to New Liskeard to meet other great OC members. 
-he invited me on 2 northern saddle bag trips 

Thank you so much Dave. Aka “sledjunk”. I lost my friend and my coach. Ms SJ and Moosifer lost a great Dad and my thoughts are with you and your mom. 

thanks for the honourable mention re:leaf,,, I was able to ride with Dave a few times, and my best riding partner the Big "H", aka Larry Hunter, it may have been Larry that got Dave into sledding as they where neighbours?? They can both R.I.P. together, and ride the trails together forever, Larry passed in Jan 2008, so Dave and I would go for a ride and many times we talked about our adventures with the Big "H",,, story makers are taken to soon, story tellers get to keep making and telling of the new and old adventures,,, always tell your stories,,,, Dave was always on duty,,,,,

PIC12705.JPG

PIC12703.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

image.thumb.jpeg.df8af8fa5a4ffcb490d617a753e9efc8.jpeg

0B16A84B-211D-47D8-8D82-E2D502DC17D7.jpeg

Four of the finest.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Four of the finest.

I recognize two of those smiling faces

• Like 1

Canuck, Sledjunk, Re:Leaf, irREVerent 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

Good one!

Dave would've appreciated this.

LOL...X 2...right after he gave you "that look" and asked if you had been "told" yet that day...   :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cehyoopers said:

thanks for the honourable mention re:leaf,,, I was able to ride with Dave a few times, and my best riding partner the Big "H", aka Larry Hunter, it may have been Larry that got Dave into sledding as they where neighbours?? They can both R.I.P. together, and ride the trails together forever, Larry passed in Jan 2008, so Dave and I would go for a ride and many times we talked about our adventures with the Big "H",,, story makers are taken to soon, story tellers get to keep making and telling of the new and old adventures,,, always tell your stories,,,, Dave was always on duty,,,,,

PIC12705.JPG

PIC12703.JPG

H and Dave were both great gentlemen. I very much enjoyed moments with them both but I never had the pleasure of riding with them both at once I can only imagine that it would have been H and I competing and Dave watching the shenanigans.

Leaf I was of he opinion that Dave would just refit and rebuild his sled those yamy triples are likely good for 100,000 k on the engine 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

-he taught me how to use my gps with the sled maps. (He tried to explain stuff to me. Even though I seem proficient with the Garmin software, my eyes would glaze over when he was explaining stuff LOL We may not have agreed on sled makes but both of us hated Garmin's BaseCamp software)

-he got his sled stuck numerous times so he could show me the art of extracting a Yamaha (with junk) out of the rhubarb. (Elk Lake to New Liskeard?)
-he invited me to New Liskeard to meet other great OC members. (YES! If it wasn't for Dave I wouldn't have gotten over to the Wawa area again.)
-he invited me on 2 northern saddle bag trips (and we wouldn't have met either!)

Great pics Andrew! Lots of memories for me from our trip of 2019.

8 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

I can't get over the looks on Bob & Dave's faces.