mike37

Remembering Dave (SledJunk)

Oh no. I’m deeply saddened. I was fortunate to have met him once in Barry’s Bay. We had dinner. Very much a gentleman. RIP and my condolences to his family and friends 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

I agree!!!!!

If it wasn't for Dave encouraging me to come along for the OC ride out of New liskeard,  I would never have met many of you members that i now enjoy riding with.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Once all this covid stuff has settled down, and we can mingle again with others, we need to do a real good OC Member  Group ride in honor of Dave (Sledjunk). 

yes we doo... nice idea, buddy! Ski

• Like 2
6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Looking thru my tunnel bag for my spare mini relays (to no avail) on Weds' night & cane across this little tester that Dave suggested:

20201127_105118.thumb.jpg.0ca1898a58dbce71d53c6a1b3cff9501.jpg

(Heater visor power supply tester)

Thanks for posting this, Kris...I have an identical one that Dave also made for me, and it's come in very handy a few times.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Looking thru my tunnel bag for my spare mini relays (to no avail) on Weds' night & cane across this little tester that Dave suggested:

20201127_105118.thumb.jpg.0ca1898a58dbce71d53c6a1b3cff9501.jpg

(Heater visor power supply tester)

Brilliant idea, it sounds like dave was very much like a friend I lost to cancer a few years back. His favorite day of the year was  the yearly throw any thing out to the curb garbage pick day, he would be out for hours picking things up and re-use the items into really handy items. 

• Like 1

Never met the gentleman but always enjoyed his posts. It's just sad. Ride In Powder SJ

Thank you for posting pics. It's nice to put a face to the name.

• Like 1

I remember him as one of the kindest most genuine folks that I ever met. I enjoyed his company as he was just plain happy to be enjoying life everyday. I wish to do something to remember him by perhaps a sticker surround in memory. 

• Like 2

RIP and Tell the Big "H" hello,,,

Some pics from over the seasons. 

20170301_091736.jpg

20180127_140133.jpg

20180126_111610.jpg

20180127_120517.jpg

20180127_095828.jpg

20180126_113305.jpg

20180126_111610.jpg

20180126_095224.jpg

I always laughed with Dad about the name ‘Sledjunk’ – it was never meant to be a “name”. He liked to have different email addresses for his hobbies and interests to keep things separate, ending in junk, and so for sledding it was sledjunk. When he joined the forum many years ago, he thought of it as a resource to help plan trips that him and Adrian could take; and so out of laziness just used sledjunk as his avatar name, thinking he would just post the odd question or comment here and there.

When he told me that he was meeting someone IRL from the forum for the first time, we joked around about the danger of meeting random strangers from the internet – to stay in a public place, and don’t be shy to scream for help if they try to lure you away somewhere. Sorry to whoever it was that he was meeting – we didn’t know if you were a serial killer or not. From there, Dad got to meet many more of you and have the privilege of riding with you.

I can barely remember a time that Dad didn’t have a computer hooked up in his car, so of course he would have gadgets on his sled. And it was annoying for him to run into a situation on a trail that required a tool or two and him not having it, knowing full well he had several sitting in his garage – so he started accruing more and more tools in his saddlebags to be prepared for anything. To Adrian and I – this was Dad being Dad. To you, this was “Sledjunk”. It’s all of you that made a lazy avatar name an identity.

Without this forum, and more importantly the people on this forum, it’s hard to say whether Dad would have loved sledding as much as he did. He wouldn’t have racked up the many kilometers that he did each season both with the sled and trailer. I wouldn’t have tried sledding if it wasn’t for all the stories I heard about his adventures – sledding would’ve stayed a father-son activity that occurred a few times each winter. Thank you for looking out and keeping Dad safe on the trails all these years. It’s comforting to know that there is a large community that loved Dad as much as we did and is grieving with us. Thank you.

Dad.jpg.dd9cd5a7a4fd86d7563d1ddab5996021.jpg

Sledjunk reading the forum

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, Ms SJ said:

I always laughed with Dad about the name ‘Sledjunk’ – it was never meant to be a “name”. He liked to have different email addresses for his hobbies and interests to keep things separate, ending in junk, and so for sledding it was sledjunk. When he joined the forum many years ago, he thought of it as a resource to help plan trips that him and Adrian could take; and so out of laziness just used sledjunk as his avatar name, thinking he would just post the odd question or comment here and there.

When he told me that he was meeting someone IRL from the forum for the first time, we joked around about the danger of meeting random strangers from the internet – to stay in a public place, and don’t be shy to scream for help if they try to lure you away somewhere. Sorry to whoever it was that he was meeting – we didn’t know if you were a serial killer or not. From there, Dad got to meet many more of you and have the privilege of riding with you.

I can barely remember a time that Dad didn’t have a computer hooked up in his car, so of course he would have gadgets on his sled. And it was annoying for him to run into a situation on a trail that required a tool or two and him not having it, knowing full well he had several sitting in his garage – so he started accruing more and more tools in his saddlebags to be prepared for anything. To Adrian and I – this was Dad being Dad. To you, this was “Sledjunk”. It’s all of you that made a lazy avatar name an identity.

Without this forum, and more importantly the people on this forum, it’s hard to say whether Dad would have loved sledding as much as he did. He wouldn’t have racked up the many kilometers that he did each season both with the sled and trailer. I wouldn’t have tried sledding if it wasn’t for all the stories I heard about his adventures – sledding would’ve stayed a father-son activity that occurred a few times each winter. Thank you for looking out and keeping Dad safe on the trails all these years. It’s comforting to know that there is a large community that loved Dad as much as we did and is grieving with us. Thank you.

Dave was a great man. Who he was shows in both you and your brother. You are both fantastic people as well. 

• Like 4

@Ms SJ, Your father was a good man, and a gift from your world, you all gave to our world (and we thank you all for that).  

my wife and I met you and your father, at the novi show in michigan a few times. so, i was one of those IRL serial killers, you were both protecting one another from. :D 

very sorry for your loss. there are no words, to share to help your pain, other than knowing he was a good man, and left a long lasting legacy, behind. thoughts and prayers, coming your way.

Eric & Lynne, from Michigan. 

• Like 2

[tangent]

Re Internet Serial Killers:

I have already hopped in the truck with a previously not met internet chum, and drove to Montana for a seemingly once-in-a-lifetime ride!

Some of you may recall the name "DJM" back on Trailconditions dot com?

Some of you may know him from dootalk these days.

In May of '02 some folks in Montana were showing pics of how great the riding still was there, and the next weekend was Labor Day, and they were puting together a big git-together, and he pinged me to head out, and so we did.

And like the Ms. here, his wife asked "How doo you know that this fella's not an axe murderer?"

Well, yes, I carry an (short handle) axe in my sled as a matter of fact....

So, having never met each other, he drove down from Fenton, Mich, and we loaded him on my deck, and we headed for Montana for what would be a SUPER weekend!

Enough so - that this pic has been my PC background ever since!

I dare say - I have never been so sun burnt in my life!

That whole worrying aboot meeting someone just doesn't float fer me.

Actually - my main riding partner for the last <20 yrs (other than my boy) was another fella off of Trailconditions dot com that went by DanX.

Use these type forums to find riding partners as well as places to ride!!!

[/tangent]

OxStuck29.jpg

Edited by Ox
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, Ms SJ said:

Larissa (...er...Ms SJ) -- what a wonderful post (and such a typical "pose" in the pic of your dad.)  Thanks so much for joining our OC "home" and sharing all of this with us, during such a painful time for you, Adrian and your mom.  As I'm sure you know, your dad left quite a legacy in the snowmobiling world.

irREVerent (Bob) and Mrs. irREVerent (Carol)

• Like 5

Larissa, all our hearts go out to you, Adrian (Moosifer), and your mom. So sorry for your loss.

Blake

• Like 1

Wow. Wonderful to read the comments. 

1 hour ago, Ms SJ said:

Welcome Larissa. Our deepest condolences to you,  to your Mother and to Adrian. We have alot of fond memories of your father,  Dad, Sledjunk, the old man. It was great meeting you at our house the time we had you guys there for a bbq. I remember Dave had just purchased the Ford F250, and had recently installed his light bar, and laptop on the pedestal in the truck. He was so proud of you guys. Please take comfort in the fact he touched some many of us here, and continues to do so, as we remember.  

Jeff and Kim...

• Like 6

MS SJ. So beautifully written. 

• Like 1

Saddening to hear of this.my condolences to his family.  I had the pleasure of meeting Dave and Adrian a few years back at the Westway near the seasons end. Both super pleasant people. I’ll never forget coming up behind them not knowing who it was until we got to smooth rock. Poor guy biffed er on plowed logging road and his suit was mud from arsehole ta ear hole!!.... RIP Dave. 

Larissa if it hadn't been for your father and a couple of his cohorts, I probably wouldn't have put as many miles on the last few seasons. My condolences to you and Adrian and your mother. 

Some of my pics up north over the years

DSCF0573.thumb.JPG.ecec8b4c76eaf0b1e607fd70abd00be3.JPG

(I'm pretty sure this is the northeast corner of L125)

341963813_DSCF0576TOPANofFauquier.thumb.JPG.6619d8785b279884a85b3beb151f5f6a.JPG

DSCF0589.thumb.JPG.59829532a0014265acbd7300aa7612d4.JPG

GOPR0291.thumb.JPG.213644777c7177c735e0ac286da0faaf.JPG

Me trying to turn on my GoPro

1356417257_00920180228_132207.thumb.jpg.24145c4c817b3e73b763b51ec1105898.jpg

1399990717_03320180301_104945_Burst01.thumb.jpg.3d15e9a56f8a2bc8f2715e2085490ab4.jpg

20180316_102448.thumb.jpg.3fe58a9e183bbdc2f059280160cb5c05.jpg

420397084_20190216_153844-OurRigsAtNewLiskeardCROPPED.thumb.jpg.8a46ce5639a2ff006ea387f23cf87ead.jpg

1615226489_20190218_113431-TeepeeAlongC101DCROPPED.thumb.jpg.44bb7e4ae462b3fdcd71103d7adb78bf.jpg

20190220_143830-CROPPED.jpg

20190225_073647.thumb.jpg.342aad9e7b741153d772ea7c2c0683b1.jpg

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Ms SJ said:

Ms SJ. My condolences to you, your Mom and brother.

I had the privilege to meet your Dad and ride with him a few times.

The sport we all love has lost a great ambassador.

RIP Dave 

Glenn

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Ms SJ said:

Do you still have vmax that your dad bought you? I remember him posting a pic of you on it, with a sold sign.  He Seemed so happy to have you joining in on your own snowmobile.  Hopefully you got in some good rides and memories like I did with my dad. Sorry for your loss and hopefully see you and your brother on trails in future too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1