Food and Lodging Kearney 2020/21 Tentative Update

KearneyCookhouse

Hello everyone, this year being touch and go with what is allowed under Covid rules I am going to post what is available now in Kearney and what we have been told will be available this sledding season. As we are under the lowest numbers right now, under 11 in the whole area from Parry Sound down to Huntsville and up to North Bay, things look pretty good for winter activities in the private sector.  However all municipal activities everywhere are cancelled, no Santa parades, no dog sled races in Kearney etc.  There has been a huge increase in airbnb accomodation online due to the huge numbers of people in the city who bought up here last summer, too many to list here but you should be able to find what you want on google.  Edgewater is still running successfully under covid rules, open in the kitchen and gas available as always.  Suds on Main that Edgewater owns has been closed tight since last March but I am sure they will pop it open the day the sledders show up.  Fetterley's gas station is still surviving as well with a nice little convenience store addition and lottery, if you need any lures or snacks etc.   Finally, after many many years of being empty, almost abandoned at one point, the old Poplar Point, then Painters Landing, and now Scarlett Point is open for full time, all units tourist accomodation.  Much needed in the town and there is tons of extra parking up at the Community Centre which is almost across the street.  https://www.scarlettpoint.ca/.  Kearney Oneill's is no more, the building has been sold and we have been told that the new owners who are from Guelph will be doing a hot/cold meal take out service in the original Kearney Oneill's restaurant with sit down eating in the new addition, however its been 2 months since they took over and the place is pretty quiet, so will update if and when something opens then.  Right now consider it unavailable for dining.  Silversands has 2 lovely women renting the restaurant from the owner and it is now called DJ's Bar and Grill, just opened last night, hours are 9 to 9, breakfast all day on the menu which is a lovely option as well as a huge gluten free menu and they are licensed under llbo.  They are trying 7 days a week.  Donna and Jade - (519) 820-3875, I believe the owner of silversands is again doing gas and motel rentals but not sure.  The Legion kitchen is still being rented and run by the wonderful April and her team but is down to 3 afternoon/nights a week, thursday to saturday, she is limited to being opened when the senior Legion members want to staff the bar, hopefully by sledding season they will add more hours and days.  As always extremely low prices on food, wings on thursday nights, fish and chips friday nights as well as full pub menu always available.  And as last winter, the lovely ladies have to keep the bathrooms and main room clean and stocked at all time, if all you do is go in for a beer and bathroom stop please throw a toonie in the tip jar at the food window, that will keep their costs reasonable.  Rickwards Polaris dealership also has a variety store onsite with quite a nice selection of fresh and frozen food, as well as souvenirs, lottery, some clothing and camping items as well.The LCBO in town is now closed every Monday, their is an lcbo outlet at the Emsdale variety store and at the Novar grocery store as well.  And another new business opened here this summer, Molbella's Creative Cafe, still a virtual business as they are only half way thru building their licenced kitchen.  Run by Shawn Armstrong, a retired nurse, she does the most amazing ready to eat meals and baked goods, currently made at a certified kitchen in Burks Falls and available for pick up in Kearney.  So if you are staying at a cottage in Kearney and want a delicious pie or sausage rolls or anything sweet or savory check out her facebook page and order a week in advance, cash only at this point, covid compliant pick up, you wont be disappointed.  She is also available for gluten free etc.   Check out her facebook page to contact her, I dont have any other way to get in touch with her.   This being the year that it is, I will post additional info under this thread by end of year if anything changes and during the sledding season if anything changes.  Stay safe out there and have a great ride!

Edited by KearneyCookhouse
important info left off
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the comprehensive update.

• Like 1

The legion is our preferred stop.... nice people too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, looking forward to heading up there very soon!!, 

• Like 1

And I forgot to mention the Driftwood Grill, sorry Dustin lol.  Dustin was the amazing chef behind Kearney Oneill's for years, and has just rented the small building next to Sud's On Main this past August, previously rented by Rise n Grill, Sweet Spot, Iron Skillet and Bayview Bistro.    Take out only, very small delicious menu that changes daily.  Usually about 6 main dishes and 2 kids noodle dishes.  Been running it for 2 months, advertised hours were 7 days a week but down to 2 or 3 evenings a week now on weekends.  Hopefully when sledders are in town he will extend his hours. You can him out on facebook for contact info.   If you are in Kearney on a Friday and he has fish and chips on the menu, you are in for a real treat.  Fresh battered, huge portions, home made coleslaw and homemade tartar sauce.  Best I have ever had anywhere.  Bon appetite!!

• Like 5

I found a picture of a Dustin burger on Facebook. If he's the Dustin who ran the Iron Skillet with Martin (and by the looks of this burger the answer is "yes") my diet is sunk.

FB_IMG_1606010465688.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

Justin and Martin ran the Iron Skillet.  When the landlords received the building back when they vacated, they operated it themselves as Kearney Oneills and hired Dustin as the chef.  He left just before sled season last year and the Cannings ran it themselves doing all the cooking.  Dustin is a highly qualified chef and makes amazing food from scratch by himself so thats why his menu is super small, just a handful of meal options daily and it changes every 2 days.

Thank you for the clarification. I originally thought Martin's partner was Justin, but figured I must have had it wrong when you wrote about Dustin.

I never tried the food after the restaurant became Kearney O'Neill's, but it sounds as though it was very good. Will try to check in on Dustin at the Driftwood this winter!

Edited by Blake G

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Thank you for the clarification. I originally thought Martin's partner was Justin, bought figured I must have had it wrong when you wrote about Dustin.

I never tried the food after the restaurant became Kearney O'Neill's, but it sounds as though it was very good. Will try to check in on Dustin at the Driftwood this winter!

By the looks of that burger, it should be a definite stop if in the area...Awesome..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it looks like our area trails are up and running, however, as we are under the 14 day lockdown please call ahead for any food or lodging requirements.  The Legion kitchen is open part time for take out food only, alcohol is not available until lockdown is over at the Legion.  All the restaurants seem to be on a catch as can basis, take out only, every owner struggling to figure out staffing, hours days etc.  The new owners of Kearney Oneill's have been busy working inside and have given info out that they will be up and running for sled season, however that was before the lockown and they were all set for indoor dining, so not sure what they will do for this 14 day takeout only period.  I see from watching in town that so far posted hours and days open are all over the place from before the lockdown and expect this is the same with all of the small towns in Northern Ontario.  Fetterleys is open for gas, Rickwards is open for outside curbside pickup, they are inside, and available.  Lots of parking at the Community Centre across from Fetterleys as the centre is closed and only a small staff inside.  Edgewater and Silversands both have takeout, and accomodation.  Please also realize that if you park on the main roads like Echo Ridge or Rain Lake and leave your truck and trailer for the day while riding that the snow plows cannot get around your vehicles.  The road maintenance vehicles are out plowing and sanding even on nice days when it is not snowing, fixing up banks etc.   Thanks everyone who rides and spends money up north, we all really appreciate it!  Stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

And Just back from town and see new signs going up at Kearney Oneills.  So we stopped in, It is now called Pit Stop 518, they are licensed BUT still have to get their water test done and the health inspection to open so that wont happen until after the New Years weekend.  They have an amazing take out menu for the lockdown and will be offering alcohol choices with your meals take out as well.  They are hoping to have Yurt camping in the back for tourists in February and are allowing sledders to park in their parking lot this weekend, and all winter, try to pull in behind the building to stay out of the way, . It looks like by early January you will be able to get a hot bowl of chili or soup or burger etc. and a cold beverage to eat while sitting on your sleds.  They are in the process of opening up the trail to connect with Fetterleys Garage, that hasnt been done yet.  They do not have a lot of space cleared yet behind the building for parking but are working on that as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suds on Main had a Flanagans Food delivery today, looks like they will be opening this weekend.  Our lockdown ends soon and unless it is reinstated by the government I believe sit in dining will resume soon.  Pit Stop 518 has a facebook page now up and running with their full menu on it, looks delicious and mostly made in house with options not found on other menus in the area.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, KearneyCookhouse said:

Suds on Main had a Flanagans Food delivery today, looks like they will be opening this weekend.  Our lockdown ends soon and unless it is reinstated by the government I believe sit in dining will resume soon.  Pit Stop 518 has a facebook page now up and running with their full menu on it, looks delicious and mostly made in house with options not found on other menus in the area.

Great info,  Thanks for sharing..:right_on:

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed yesterday that Suds on Main was open for takeout, phone number on door, easy order, 2 sleds waiting for food.  Just    2     sleds.  Town is absolutely dead, should of seen hundreds of sleds on a beautiful Sunday like that.  Edgewater announced on their facebook page today that they are shutting their restaurant down at Edgewater location (The Red Canoe) until the whole lockdown business is over with.   Not sure if they will continue to struggle thru with Suds, will let you know if they post a close.  Not even sure if Suds is doing 7 days a week right now as they usually do.  This Covid cant go away fast enough.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, KearneyCookhouse said:

Noticed yesterday that Suds on Main was open for takeout, phone number on door, easy order, 2 sleds waiting for food.  Just    2     sleds.  Town is absolutely dead, should of seen hundreds of sleds on a beautiful Sunday like that.  Edgewater announced on their facebook page today that they are shutting their restaurant down at Edgewater location (The Red Canoe) until the whole lockdown business is over with.   Not sure if they will continue to struggle thru with Suds, will let you know if they post a close.  Not even sure if Suds is doing 7 days a week right now as they usually do.  This Covid cant go away fast enough.

Covid is not going anywhere, what needs to go is these business killing restrictions. Government is the sole cause of the issues people face  and these lockdowns are killing more people than the virus is or would be.

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

Covid is not going anywhere, what needs to go is these business killing restrictions. Government is the sole cause of the issues people face  and these lockdowns are killing more people than the virus is or would be.

That's the part that people really need to understand.

If you wanted to follow a recipe playbook for economic disaster, the government is doing just that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hats off to the Kearney Cookhouse for the Updates !!! 

If anymore more updates are available please let us know .

My favourite sleding grounds of all times and hopefully i can convince my wife to buy a cottage in the area.

Awesome biggest little town if i can remember the sign correctly lol  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stormtraxx#### said:

Hats off to the Kearney Cookhouse for the Updates !!! 

If anymore more updates are available please let us know .

My favourite sleding grounds of all times and hopefully i can convince my wife to buy a cottage in the area.

Awesome biggest little town if i can remember the sign correctly lol  

Quietest little town right now.  Driftwood, legion, pitstop and DJ's are all just takeout only and none seem to be open mon to wed.  call ahead if you want a particular restaurant hours, they seem to get squeezed shorter as the weeks go on.